Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM

245 posts, read 652,655 times

Advertisements

I love visiting the Pacific Northwest, & it's likely Portland is up next. Do I need a car when visiting, or is most of what there is to see within the city itself accessible via transit (preferably rail)? I've looked at the TriMet maps, but without some overlay showing where things are, it's hard to know. I do plan on getting a car so we can head to the coast and to places like Mt. Hood, but I prefer to go without in cities, if possible, due to steep parking costs at hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
I love visiting the Pacific Northwest, & it's likely Portland is up next. Do I need a car when visiting, or is most of what there is to see within the city itself accessible via transit (preferably rail)? I've looked at the TriMet maps, but without some overlay showing where things are, it's hard to know. I do plan on getting a car so we can head to the coast and to places like Mt. Hood, but I prefer to go without in cities, if possible, due to steep parking costs at hotels.
You can do without a car if you're just sightseeing in the city. Most of what you'd want to see is in the downtown core anyway. The rose gardens, Washington Park, the zoo, the Classical Chinese gardens, the underground tour, Voodoo Doughnut, the waterfront, Saturday Market, Powell's Books, Northwest 21st/23rd... You can take a bus up to the Pittock Mansion I believe. Everything else I listed is accessible by streetcar/walking/MAX.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
You will need a car to visit Multnomah Falls or Timbrline Lodge, places that a visitor really ought to see.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM

92 posts, read 365,891 times
I may be the odd tourist, but I think Portland is wonderful without a car. I've visited several times and, between public transportation, bike rentals, and my feet, i've never felt the need for a car. Probably I haven't seen the big Portland tourist attractions, but i've had a great time there every visit.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
What you're proposing is very do-able. (ie) See Portland via mass transit and foot and then rent a car for everything else.

Just make sure you pick a good central hotel.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You will need a car to visit Multnomah Falls or Timbrline Lodge, places that a visitor really ought to see.
OP said s/he'd rent a car for those places.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Just make sure you pick a good central hotel.
I didn't want to start another thread, as my question fits here. Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for a good central hotel - preferably for the somewhat price-conscious individual? We will be visiting for the first time next March and do not want to rent a car. We want to train, bus, or street car it up only. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland