Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times

Advertisements

FYI, I just saw outside of New Seasons there were about 4 collection bags for plastic grocery bags.

I know using fabric bags is better (and what I usually do), but you can still take your bags there to "recycle".

Whether they recycle it, who knows? But the same could be said for anything you recycle or compost with a sanitation service.

There is a store in the Midwest called Aldi's. They have very low prices for a few reasons, one being they only really carry one brand of most things. Another being you have to provide your own bags, and/or pay for the bags you use otherwise. you also have to do your own bagging. I see nothing wrong with this at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
FYI, I just saw outside of New Seasons there were about 4 collection bags for plastic grocery bags.

I know using fabric bags is better (and what I usually do), but you can still take your bags there to "recycle".

Whether they recycle it, who knows? But the same could be said for anything you recycle or compost with a sanitation service.

There is a store in the Midwest called Aldi's. They have very low prices for a few reasons, one being they only really carry one brand of most things. Another being you have to provide your own bags, and/or pay for the bags you use otherwise. you also have to do your own bagging. I see nothing wrong with this at all.

I liked Aldi's when I lived in Germany where this store originates from. I didn't mind bringing bags with me to Aldi's, nor did I mind paying a small fee to use the shopping cart either. However life was different in Germany than it is here in Portland.

In Germany I had the car with me, and I could just drop into the store at a whim and my bags were in the car. Here in PDX Im walking and walking miles. To have to go home for bags every time I need to go to the store would be a chore. Since what guy is going to be carrying bags around with them all day. For me though it won't really matter. I won't be living in Portland long enough for it to be a difficulty, but for others it may be difficult to have the bags with them.

By the way Aldi's owns or is part owner of Trader Joe's. Its owner died this week in Germany.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:02 AM

157 posts, read 523,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
...nor did I mind paying a small fee to use the shopping cart either.
Those had better have been the new indestructible Target type of carts and the usual 3-wheels-touching-1-flapping-in-the-breeze type I always get. I would have needed a refund or the cart was coming with me to the bus stop.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I think I'll just collect all my plastic bags and use them to wrap meats later on. They can be rinsed in hot water to re-use, and/or line my wastecans.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I think I'll just collect all my plastic bags and use them to wrap meats later on. They can be rinsed in hot water to re-use, and/or line my wastecans.
I do that and more. They are extremely useful. The ones I don't need I recycle but I have a lot of uses for the ones I keep. I have never thrown one away.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I do that and more. They are extremely useful. The ones I don't need I recycle but I have a lot of uses for the ones I keep. I have never thrown one away.

What else do you use them for??? You could help us with some good ideas.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 PM

Sure;

collecting kitty litter

lunch bags

anything I want to carry that I don't want to get wet

liners: as in garbage cans

covering small plants in the winter

lining the litter box

sometime I cut them so I can make sort of one continuious suface and use them to protect a portion of a table or counter. Like if I am cutting veggies on a small cutting board the scraps can be easily wrapped up an put in the compost heap in our yard.

my kitty actually likes to sit on them so it's kind of a cat diverson

When I travel I use them to pack each individual shoe so my clothes won't get dirty

Also when I travel I used them for my used underwear

Again traveling I put anything that could spill in them. Even if I use a cosmetic bag if I line it with a plastic bag and something spills, the plastic bag can be taken out and tossed or rinsed off and recycled.

I keep some at my desk at work in case the lunch I buy is too much and I need to take the remainder home with me.

I line the metal cannister I store cat food in. That way the cannister doesn't get the "grease" from the residue of the kibble and I can take the liner and again either rinse and recycle or throw it away.

I put one or two cut open under the cat dish to catch spills.

They are good for stuffing in cracks in windows to keep out the cold or wind in an old apartment which I frequently did before the landlord put in new windows.

If I am painting, I can put down my brushes on them and the paint won't stick.

They make good spoon rests that protect the surface on which the utensils are being put down in between uses.

They are good for placing muddy shoes when you first walk through the door. And the wet doesn't soak through like it can with newspaper.

If I think of more I will add to this list. I just always find these things handy.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times
Minerva-
This is off topic but do you remember when we had a thread going talking about things we remembered from Portland's somewhat recent past? I was turned on to this site & I thought you might enjoy checking it out. Vintage Portland

Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I use the plastic bags for trash liners, garbage bags, wet gym clothes and towels from the gym. My lunch to carry to work. Numerous uses. I think alot of us have many uses for these bags. Now what will we use when they are gone. By the way isn't Portland rather controlling of its citizens. You will not use plastic bags. You will ride public transit and get rid of your car. You will live life in a green environment only. You will have your life disrupted by constant construction in several areas. You will tolerate constant solicitation for money or political matters. You will spit on the street at every possible chance. I threw that in because there has to be some reason, so many in this town spit on the ground like I have never seen before. Its a shame there isn't as much effort put into attracking worthwhile employers, funding schools properly, and attracking the type of people that are decent friendly productive tax paying citizens. But its issues like Plastic Bags that go to the top of the lists. While other issues are just issues not meaningful enough to spend time dealing with. Really its rather sad and somewhat odd.

Tomorrow I believe is the day Fred Myers begins the no plastic bags in Portland. Lets see how it goes. Im going to Vancouver tomorrow and will stop in the stores there, at least they will have plastic bags.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Minerva-
This is off topic but do you remember when we had a thread going talking about things we remembered from Portland's somewhat recent past? I was turned on to this site & I thought you might enjoy checking it out. Vintage Portland
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland