Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM

378 posts, read 975,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
This is the same as any business that closes at a given time. Remember when Home Depot tried staying open 24 hours? At some point you have to look at return on investment. If it was your business and it was losing money by staying open too late, you would close it earlier.

About 60% of TriMets income is from payroll tax. When unemployment is this high, they don't have the money to keep trains out late to pick up a few riders up from the airport (or anyplace for that matter). Same for the bus lines. The low ridership lines had to be cut. The money the buses collect in the fare-box doesn't even cover the cost of fuel.
A fair point - but if I was willing to purchase a Max ticket at the airport for a train @ 11:20 I'd still be purchasing that ticket if the train left @ 12:00am.

/I've duplicated your unnecessary bold text and underlining for emphasis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,162,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
A fair point - but if I was willing to purchase a Max ticket at the airport for a train @ 11:20 I'd still be purchasing that ticket if the train left @ 12:00am.

So, you think everyone who works on the MAX lines should stay on the job (with pay, of course) an extra hour so that you can buy a $2. ticket a couple times a year?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,841,491 times
Quote:

Since it's all about you, maybe TriMet could send a town car for you. It would be cheaper then scheduling trains for a few late night stragglers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So, you think everyone who works on the MAX lines should stay on the job (with pay, of course) an extra hour so that you can buy a $2. ticket a couple times a year?
+1
Return on investment.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM

378 posts, read 975,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Since it's all about you, maybe TriMet could send a town car for you. It would be cheaper then scheduling trains for a few late night stragglers.

+1
Return on investment.
and the missing the bus award goes to bledsoe (or in this case missing the Max). If the Max is already such a pig of an investment, why not dip a little deeper in the red to accommodate later flights? Sorry for stating what irritates me about the system. In the future I'll make sure to never state observations about what I would like to see happen. I will just sit and accept whatever situation I am presented with without complaint. It's not like my opinion will be used to make a decision, but thanks for cutting it down anyway.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
If the Max is already such a pig of an investment, why not dip a little deeper in the red to accommodate later flights?
Maybe they can cut a few more jobs to make that happen.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 PM

80 posts, read 219,417 times
I really don't think its too big of a stretch to think MAX should run at least one later train to accommodate all of the flights that arrive late. Again, there are several of them. We're not just talking about a flight or two. All of the following cities run later trains from their airport:
In Seattle, the last Link train departs Sea-Tac airport at 12:50am
In San Francisco the last BART train departs the airport at 1:05am.
In Vancouver BC, the last SkyTrain departs the airport at 12:57am
In Atlanta, the last MARTA train departs the airport at 1:55am.
In Minneapolis, the last Metro light rail train departs the airport at 2:19am
In St. Louis, the last MetroLink train departs the airport at 12:59am.

So, cleary, it's not silly or unreasonble to wonder why TriMet shuts it's system down so early.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,889,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlover85 View Post
I really don't think its too big of a stretch to think MAX should run at least one later train to accommodate all of the flights that arrive late. Again, there are several of them. We're not just talking about a flight or two. All of the following cities run later trains from their airport:

So, cleary, it's not silly or unreasonble to wonder why TriMet shuts it's system down so early.
Theres not enough airport traffic to justify staying open that late....your lucky you even got an Airport line. Many cities don't have one due to the low ridership numbers , most uses buses. Even in Europe and Asia.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
Quote:

Can one fairly compare those cities and their air travel usage patterns to PDX? Let's get reasonable. If Trimet is cutting or eliminating bus lines that operate during prime time... ... l In a perfect world all the MAX lines would operate 24/7 and trains would arrive and leave all stations no matter what. 7 riders or 700 or none the trains would run on... and on. We don't live in that perfect world. And why not? Because we still haven't gotten around to wealth re-distribution. Please do not waste your time or ours outlining what Trimet should be doing with regard to scheduling MAX trains until you have also outlined your revenue streams to fund the service improvements. Isn't that fair?

H

Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM

80 posts, read 219,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Can one fairly compare those cities and their air travel usage patterns to PDX? Let's get reasonable. If Trimet is cutting or eliminating bus lines that operate during prime time... ... l In a perfect world all the MAX lines would operate 24/7 and trains would arrive and leave all stations no matter what. 7 riders or 700 or none the trains would run on... and on. We don't live in that perfect world. And why not? Because we still haven't gotten around to wealth re-distribution. Please do not waste your time or ours outlining what Trimet should be doing with regard to scheduling MAX trains until you have also outlined your revenue streams to fund the service improvements. Isn't that fair?

H
Oh, give me a break. This is a forum where open discussion is encouraged. You're wasting your OWN time if you continue to read and post in a thread that you find uninteresting. Someone posed a legitimate question and people gave their input. I don't see why anyone needs to get their panties in a wad.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, give me a break. This is a forum where open discussion is encouraged. You're wasting your OWN time if you continue to read and post in a thread that you find uninteresting. Someone posed a legitimate question and people gave their input. I don't see why anyone needs to get their panties in a wad.
I think Leisesturm posted a legitimate question too. TriMet's main source of income is payroll tax. With the unemployment as high as it is, where would the funds come from to run trains (or buses) later at night?

If anyone can solve that problem I'm sure TriMet would love to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland