Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I'll hazard an educated guess, though some real research might disprove this idea...I've learned during my time in Pittsburgh (once a steel capital of the world) that there are certain formulations of steel which are designed to oxidize on the surface when in contact with moisture. However this type of steel does not continue to oxidize into its interior once the surface rust is established, so in fact the rust serves as a protective barrier of sorts. This is, for example, why the UPMC tower (formerly the U.S. Steel Tower) in downtown Pittsburgh is not painted and has never needed a cleaning.I
That would be COR-TEN steel. The U.S. Steel Tower was meant to showcase this material:
Weathering steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several Chicago buildings utilized this steel as did the famous Picasso:
Chicago Picasso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
It is common to thank the driver on Muni buses in San Francisco. I have not seen anyone use ranch dressing here in Portland since I arrived a year and a half ago. Not sure if it's sold a Whole Foods though I am sure the 365 Brand must make it. Doesn't seem like it's in huge demand where I shop or eat. Now I am going to start noticing though...

Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
That would be COR-TEN steel. The U.S. Steel Tower was meant to showcase this material:
Weathering steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several Chicago buildings utilized this steel as did the famous Picasso:
Chicago Picasso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While they don't reveal anything detailed about the composition of the steel in the Steel Bridge (other than that certain parts were cast whole) these three public domain images do explore all kinds of nifty details about it. Since this type of bridge in general is often unknown to folks from the cities of the east coast, I thought they might make a fun addition to the thread:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...BridgeHAER.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...geLiftHAER.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mponentsHA.png

(images are quite large, be sure to tell your browser to zoom in full)

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Doubtless it is on the list to do this summer. It has been a wet winter, not good for painting.

Regarding managing a horse along a roadway. Don't you just hate it when a driver thinks you need a "toot" to let you know a car is coming your way??? If you were my daughter and riding a horse with any spook in it I would insist on a martingale (the Y shaped contraption where the reigns go through the top and the cinch through the bottom strap). Keep that pony's head about pommel high. With that you can manage with one hand on the reigns and the other free.

Yes, new residents (even returnees) have to take the written test.

I you think that's bad, you need to pass a test to operate a powered boat. I goes well beyond what you need to know IMHO.
I've already violated the boat rule, several times, thank goodness I didn't get caught. I had no idea...

Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I you think that's bad, you need to pass a test to operate a powered boat. I goes well beyond what you need to know IMHO.
Yes, but when you are on the water at least you know that the other boaters have taken the same test and are following the same rules.
At least they should have and should be.
It's crazy enough on the Willamette in the summer as it is.

I think the test is a good thing, but they should call it what it is, a boater's license.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have not seen anyone use ranch dressing here in Portland since I arrived a year and a half ago. Not sure if it's sold a Whole Foods though I am sure the 365 Brand must make it. Doesn't seem like it's in huge demand where I shop or eat. Now I am going to start noticing though...
LOL, actually I just had lunch at Whole Foods yesterday (well actually we made salads there and then had a picnic) and I can vouch for the fact that ranch is on the salad bar. It did look fairly untouched though, compared to the crunchier flavors (including the one I chose, which tasted like pretty much pureed ginger in garlic).

Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
But Whole Foods is based in Austin!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Something great to come out of Texas!

QUOTE=doggiemama;19436563]But Whole Foods is based in Austin![/quote]

Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
But Whole Foods is based in Austin!

Which is why a lot of locals don't like it. Plus the companies anti-competativeness strategies (suing smaller companies for their business plans, handing that over to their "lawyer" who also happens to be on the Board of Directors, or the still as yet unresolved and possibly illegal takeover of several other local stores a few years ago,) and the owner's attitude in online forums about the direction his company is taking coupled with the fact that while the company is all "about" Organic, they are a long ways away from "local" part of the equation.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Which is why a lot of locals don't like it. Plus the companies anti-competativeness strategies (suing smaller companies for their business plans, handing that over to their "lawyer" who also happens to be on the Board of Directors, or the still as yet unresolved and possibly illegal takeover of several other local stores a few years ago,) and the owner's attitude in online forums about the direction his company is taking coupled with the fact that while the company is all "about" Organic, they are a long ways away from "local" part of the equation.
I agree. They swallowed up Nature's proclaiming they wouldn't change anything but of course that was not the case. The biggest travesty was the tremendous price increases for many of the same items. They aren't called "Whole Paycheck" for nothing!

I really can't afford New Seasons either but given the choice and a bit of extra cash, I will choose NS any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland