Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I remember reading an article that claimed there was a regional accent that stretched through a narrow band from West Virginia to Portland, Oregon.

I then worked in a Syracuse-based telemarketing firm whose manager hailed from Portland. He spoke in a westernly twang that sounded very similar to a West Virginian regular at my neighborhood bar.

However, I don't much recall the accent from the time I spent in Portland. I stayed and pretty much stuck to the Northeast quadrant. The only time I recall hearing the accent was at a SE Burnside hearing aid company, from a telemarketer I worked with. I'm pretty sure sure she lived in the neighborhood. Maybe the westernly twang is more of a SE Portland affectation?

Did a wagon train of West Virginians or Okies settle in SE Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Years ago, I remember reading an article that claimed there was a regional accent that stretched through a narrow band from West Virginia to Portland, Oregon.

I then worked in a Syracuse-based telemarketing firm whose manager hailed from Portland. He spoke in a westernly twang that sounded very similar to a West Virginian regular at my neighborhood bar.

However, I don't much recall the accent from the time I spent in Portland. I stayed and pretty much stuck to the Northeast quadrant. The only time I recall hearing the accent was at a SE Burnside hearing aid company, from a telemarketer I worked with. I'm pretty sure sure she lived in the neighborhood. Maybe the westernly twang is more of a SE Portland affectation?

Did a wagon train of West Virginians or Okies settle in SE Portland?
I think one hears that twang amongst people whose families have lived here for a long time. Generations long. One of my friends who was born and raised in North Portland has a bit of a midwestern accent that I believe she picked up from her mother who moved here in the 1940's. She sounds different from another friend who has lived here in the NE part of town just as long but her family goes back to pioneer days.

I hear varying accents all over Portland due to the many different transplants from different parts of the country.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The western twang is MUCH more pronounced on this side of the Cascades - probably, at least in the ag and ranching heavy areas, because of transplants from other areas. The govt was still doing land grants in Klamath and Lake County (which are HUGE, btw) through WW2 and into the 50s.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think one hears that twang amongst people whose families have lived here for a long time. Generations long. One of my friends who was born and raised in North Portland has a bit of a midwestern accent that I believe she picked up from her mother who moved here in the 1940's. She sounds different from another friend who has lived here in the NE part of town just as long but her family goes back to pioneer days.

I hear varying accents all over Portland due to the many different transplants from different parts of the country.
Yeah and I have friends who grew up in Hillsboro that have almost Southern-sounding accents. Or people from the smaller Willamette Valley towns that have accents that remind me of the lower Midwest.

Accents are a funny thing--but in general most Portland natives I know of my generation(I'm 30) seem to have very neutral accents, not much different from what you'd hear in a California or some Midwestern suburb... However you go back a generation to their parents or grandparents, and you have sort of a twangy, somewhat mid-western accent. There's sort of a Western country twang/Midwestern mix in the Northwest--if you hear California natives from the country/rural areas(not SF or LA) have a little different, more Southwestern style that sounds different than the Pacific NW--which seems to have more Midwestern elements to my ears.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah and I have friends who grew up in Hillsboro that have almost Southern-sounding accents. Or people from the smaller Willamette Valley towns that have accents that remind me of the lower Midwest.

Accents are a funny thing--but in general most Portland natives I know of my generation(I'm 30) seem to have very neutral accents, not much different from what you'd hear in a California or some Midwestern suburb... However you go back a generation to their parents or grandparents, and you have sort of a twangy, somewhat mid-western accent. There's sort of a Western country twang/Midwestern mix in the Northwest--if you hear California natives from the country/rural areas(not SF or LA) have a little different, more Southwestern style that sounds different than the Pacific NW--which seems to have more Midwestern elements to my ears.
My friends are in their 50's and 60's so that would fall right in with what you are saying.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Ooops, meant East Burnside. So, the co-worker may have lived in NE or SE Portland.

This was 16 years ago. I'm guessing Skype and cell phones that charge the same rate for local and long-distance have increased cross-regional conversations, thus decreasing the influence of local accents on the younger generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland