Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM

132 posts, read 231,006 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Hillsboro for the past 4 years and I do not feel threatened at all!!!! Yes there are poor areas of Hillsboro (mostly near the downtown area) but this does not compare to CA... I lived there near LA almost all my life. Now that is crime/drug/gang infestation at its prime. I could not wait to get out of CA... and will hopefully never have to go back! EVERY CITY HAS ITS GOOD AND BAD!! You just have to investigate before you buy or rent. When I moved from CA I called the police department and they gave me a very good idea as to where to live with regards to crime. I had never been to Portland before I moved. I started off in Beaverton and then ended up buying a home in Hillsboro. Hillsboro is mainly a safe community. I hear Greshem is really bad!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 AM

986 posts, read 2,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
So this morning, I was on the phone with someone who lives in Portland. I was telling them that My self and my family are going to be relocating to Oregon next year sometime and he said to Stay away from " Hillsboro" becuase it has been infested with Gangs? Is that true? Are there certain areas to stay away from? I know every state has cities to keep out of but I have heard nothing but good things about Hillsboro...am I being mislead? is the salem/keizer area better?
It seemed likely that there would be gangs when I took a tour of the whole Portland metro area recently. When I crossed into Hillsboro I was struck by the sudden surge in Hispanic faces. Just look up Hillsboro's ethnic stats on this site and compare them to other parts of the region. Anyone who's lived a while knows that gangs tend to form among those groups more readily.

Why they conglomerate in that particular area is unknown to me, but I speculate that some high-tech firms out there want cheap labor. Not all of them are gang-bangers, of course.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM

323 posts, read 321,958 times
The area around Hillsburrito has farming. Mexicans are snatched up for those type of jobs for cheap labor and usually hard workers. When I drove through the downtown I thought I was in Mexico City.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
It seemed likely that there would be gangs when I took a tour of the whole Portland metro area recently. When I crossed into Hillsboro I was struck by the sudden surge in Hispanic faces. Just look up Hillsboro's ethnic stats on this site and compare them to other parts of the region. Anyone who's lived a while knows that gangs tend to form among those groups more readily.

Why they conglomerate in that particular area is unknown to me, but I speculate that some high-tech firms out there want cheap labor. Not all of them are gang-bangers, of course.
No.... Hillsboro used to be extremely rural. Nothing but farms for miles. That is where the "cheap labor" was used. As the Hispanic Population raised itself economically, it settled where it was already living and attracted others into the area. People always segment themselves along lines that feel comfortable, religion, race, economic levels, they want to be with people "just like themselves."

Then Intel came in, bought those farms and paved them over. This was followed by suburbanization and mass produced McMansions. There are huge parts of Hillsboro where many natives can say "We used to go pick fresh strawberries where that house is."

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM

10 posts, read 22,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
I think most of the rich intel workers live more closer to Beaverton, as opposed to Hillsboro per say. I would be interested in someone correct me if wrong. Beaverton has some beautiful suburbs.

Huh? Okay then. I know lots of Nike's "rich workers" commute to Hillsboro. Guess it goes both ways. What a ridiculous and incorrect assumption. Hillsboro has plenty of insanely high priced real estate.

Portland's Street of Dreams has twice been located in the Jackson School area. Recently, the most expensive home in the state's RMLS was located in Hillsboro, asking price 22 mil.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 18,504 times
Default Good the bad and theWonderful

Hi Hillsboro is a great place. It has everything for everyone unless you are looking for great clubs or entertainment every night.

If you want to send your kids to school I would pick Hillsboro schools any day! The teachers care and we have had the most flex fund of any district the past years. The special needs and Programs for science and Math along with the Arts can also be centered if you have a child that is ahead of the game and wants to specialize.

In all Cities there are gangs Any one who will tell you otherwise is living in a glass bubble. The problem there is what does the city do about it. We have a gang and family intervention task force with an open door policy. Both county and City.

We have Saturday and Tuesday Markets both Downtown Proper and in Orenco which is a YIPPIE area with a newer shopping Mall.

We have the worlds largest Costco. Don't know why I mentioned that but a lot of people think it's cool to go eat all the samples.

The most historical trees around our Courthouse, a beautiful Downtown with a new Civic and City Center. This is where we play live music and the children (and parents) play in the water fountain both during city activities and on Hot summer Days.

We have people who love this old Town and people on the edge who want to update it.

The Intel plants and offices are a great source to the community for the republicans side, There also the Libercans and all else who can get what they want by being involved in a few City meetings.

We are pretty quiet have a great group of churches community involvement and opportunities.

We have all the different neighborhoods you would want to live in. You choose your neighbors you choose your public service, and you live your life the way you want to, afraid and complaining or fearless and joyful

If you are happy where you are now you will be happy where you go.

If I can't live in the Country I choose Hillsboro!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 18,504 times
Hillsburrito is such a cheap word

Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM

404 posts, read 1,339,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The poor and disadvantaged have to live somewhere, since the Government is cutting their education, and "revitalized" North Portland.
We're not deporting so called fugitives and their accessories or so called "undocumented aliens and their families". The government isn't doing enough to deport illegals, legals who harbor illegals as well as prosecute citizens who harbor illegals.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times
I'm not talking about illegals. I'm talking about American Citizens with little or poor education. South East Portland is rapidly becoming the new Ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland