Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Okay so this is not to keep people away but it's an opinion of what they may have to face when condsidering a move here. I have seen too many potential transplants posting here of late who want to move to Oregon for the scenery without seemingly giving a thought as to how they will be able to survive.

I believe things will get better but for now this apparently is more the situation today.

Oregon's Middle Class Under Threat - Oregon Center for Public Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Sad, but true. Everyone I know is struggling much more than they were ten years ago.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

218 posts, read 376,878 times
It is true. People think its going to be an easy transition and there is a job waiting for them. I knew 2 years ago we were going to move some where not sure where but I knew it. I have saved up as much as I can , sold my house, and am about to finish my 2nd degree. I already have a full ride transition over in Portland or Salem I am able to choose so I know that I have made plans for my family and I that are secure. I am not going to get over my head with a huge place I " think" i can afford. I live within my means and sometimes below that so I can spend more time with my family and go on mini vacations. People assume the economy is going to JUMP soon and we all will be okay. I don't believe in any of that, I support my self and my own future and never will I move if my family was to be negatively effected by it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
It is true. People think its going to be an easy transition and there is a job waiting for them. I knew 2 years ago we were going to move some where not sure where but I knew it. I have saved up as much as I can , sold my house, and am about to finish my 2nd degree. I already have a full ride transition over in Portland or Salem I am able to choose so I know that I have made plans for my family and I that are secure. I am not going to get over my head with a huge place I " think" i can afford. I live within my means and sometimes below that so I can spend more time with my family and go on mini vacations. People assume the economy is going to JUMP soon and we all will be okay. I don't believe in any of that, I support my self and my own future and never will I move if my family was to be negatively effected by it.
I wish I could rep you one thousand times. Anyone planning to relocate to Oregon or anywhere else for that matter should have this as required reading.

It's the smartest way to go. Especially when there is a family involved.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
The middle class is disappearing and much worse off in other places (California anyone?). It never ceases to amaze me how many people are just jaded about up and moving here without a second thought but you just have to figure they can do their research and planning ahead of time or not. But all the posts asking "how is the job market" and "how hard is it to get a job?" get old after a while.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
The middle class is disappearing and much worse off in other places (California anyone?). It never ceases to amaze me how many people are just jaded about up and moving here without a second thought but you just have to figure they can do their research and planning ahead of time or not. But all the posts asking "how is the job market" and "how hard is it to get a job?" get old after a while.
And when sometimes when someone tries to tell them it isn't what they wanted to hear, they get downright hostile.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And when sometimes when someone tries to tell them it isn't what they wanted to hear, they get downright hostile.
Yep! I just responded to a post on the Oregon board where someone didnt like the job/employment advice they were given. I cant imagine being so blase`about something that is so key in relocating

Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Once upon a time I thought of myself as middle class. Four kids, trying to make it on one salary for years so the spouse could stay home to raise the kids, spending a year on unemployment, and now filling out bankruptcy paperwork have cured me of those delusions.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
My wife wants kids. But I can't see how we can afford it. The mortgage takes over half my pay by itself. We can't sell the house, not because we're upside down, but because the only house that has sold in my neighborhood in the past three years is nearly double what mine is worth. And there are some really nice houses in the same price range I'd want to sell in that have been on the market for coming on four years.

The only reason we have any kind of savings right now is due to few strokes of financial luck over the past two years.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
I say this every time it comes up, but since it's come up again...I will never be able to understand an adult just up and moving to a new city without a job or job prospects, a thorough plan, and substantial savings. This is just one of those stubborn, self-centered American tropes that blows my mind. What goes on in the minds of these people? Do they believe in fairy dust or something? Have they had one of those enviable lives where the universe (or their parents) have just always provided for them so they don't have any concept of risk or consequences or self-reliance?

It's sort of like the reverse of the other kind of uniquely American worker I can't comprehend...the skilled laborer who will watch obediently as their bosses and unions destroy an industry in a given area (say, Detroit) and just absolutely refuse to move themselves to another given area (say, the entire South) where the same skilled jobs (say, automotive assembly) are plentiful and the cost of living is similar or lower than anything they've ever experienced. Do they move? Hell no, they stay put and complain, as if the universe owes them something.

It's the 21st century, and it's been two whole generations since the concept of a reliable career doing one thing for one company in one city for a whole lifetime has existed as a commonplace lifestyle in this country (or much of the industrialized world).

Yes, it's tragic that in many places jobs are harder to come by than in others. Yes, it's sound advice that people drawn to Oregon or anywhere else's natural beauty and other perks should be advised of a currently particularly harsh trend in unemployment. But seriously folks, why do so many people seem to need to be told this?

I feel like there's a base societal problem that, unchecked, will just continue to exacerbate these issues in any similarly afflicted region. People need to get over themselves and realize that nobody innately "deserves" to get to live wherever they want. That is a freedom you earn, only after building a stable life for your household. Perhaps people who grow up in smaller countries with greater mobility barriers of culture and language figure this out more inherently or something?

We certainly don't seem to do a good job of being honest with ourselves about it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland