Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times

Advertisements

I know this is some advance planning...but I'll be visiting Portland for a few days the week of Memorial Day. (Tentatively arriving Thurs departing Sat)

1) Traveling via Amtrak
2) Never been to Portland before

so basically interested in seeing anything in the city and eating good food, etc. but if possible, maybe a place easily accessible from the Amtrak station and also good location to explore without a car.

The Portland International Guesthouse was recommended by a close friend and seems like a safe bet. But I would prefer to have a private bathroom so thought I'd see what y'all have to say.

Feel free to suggest neighborhoods and specific hotels/hostels. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

343 posts, read 693,095 times
-My first bit of advice is stay at least a week, if not two. With one full day you're not going to have much time to do anything, except dabble here and there. You definitely need more time to do a "one over", just something to consider.

-That said, downtown is a good bet. The good news is there are a ton of things to do in and around the surrounding area.

-Not sure where you're coming from, but if it's CA I heard the trip up is absolutely gorgeous and relaxing. Enjoy it.

-Eating tasty food is really easy in Portland because of food carts. Downtown has lots of them, but there are multiple food cart pods (clusters of carts) and restaurants everywhere. You could hypothetically find just one pod and meet all the food needs in your short trip, but just for fun I would explore all of them.

-If you can, try to stay at a friend's house. A lot cheaper and more peace of mind. If not, you're good to go at one of the hostels or motels.

-TriMet (The public transportation network) is a very easy way to get around town. Since your stay is short, I would just pay out of pocket for the duration of your trip. If it was a week long, you can buy a 10 day pass.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM

I hear ya, it's just not really conceivable to stay any longer. All told we'll have a little more than two days to explore...we'll do what we can. I pushed hard just to be able to fit Portland in at all.

Coming in from/returning to Seattle. But I'm told that it's quite pretty as well. If driving is a better option, let me know! Renting a car is still on the table...we'll decide that later cause it'll give us maybe a little bit more flexibility.

Why is peace of mind a concern when choosing lodging? Do you have any specific recommendations to stay downtown?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM

343 posts, read 693,095 times
No worries, we all do what we can.

If you're taking a train, I'd say sit back and relax. No worries about snow, weather, traffic, etc. Renting is a smart idea if you want to explore outside Portland city limits.

I guess by "peace of mind" I meant you'd have more privacy in a motel vs a hostel. I'm just kinda picky when it comes to that sort of thing. To be honest you'll be just fine in a hostel if you're looking for a warm, dry and safe place to stay. The hotels downtown are too expensive, much cheaper lodging is available in the suburbs. I recommend downtown as a great place to visit because it's easily accessible by public transportation. A 15-20 min TriMet bus ride will take you there from most 'burbs.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-21-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
The MAX line that stops near the Amtrak station travels up 5th & 6th streets. Time is at a premium for these travelers. IMHO their best choice for a short stay along that route is the Hilton at 921 SW sixth Ave. It is two blocks to Pioneer Courthouse Square, a transit focal point. Booking in advance, watching room rates, it won't be very expensive. That hotel markets to meetings, it is not a grand dame establishment. Assuming they arrive before their room is ready bags can be left with staff.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Oh, pretend like you're in Europe, and go for the bathroom-down-the-hall places. They've got so much more character. The hostel is good, probably cheapest option, but further away. Downtown has some funky places like the Ace Hotel or the Crystal Hotel.

Other than that, go for the cheapest place you can find in downtown.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM

14 posts, read 32,048 times
The only hostel I know of is in Hawthorne, only because I drove past it. It's out of downtown a bit, but only a 10-15 min bus ride probably. Hawthorne is a cool area. Otherwise I think you're just in for a cheap motel situation. I would not rent a car! Stick to downtown and the max lightrail and buses will get you everywhere.
Walking the westside waterfront is great and the eastside one too. OMSI (museum) is great. Mississippi St. (start at fremont) is a really fun place as is NW 23rd (ritsy). Powell's book store and voodoo donut are always good ones too.
Have fun.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh, pretend like you're in Europe, and go for the bathroom-down-the-hall places. They've got so much more character. The hostel is good, probably cheapest option, but further away. Downtown has some funky places like the Ace Hotel or the Crystal Hotel.

Other than that, go for the cheapest place you can find in downtown.
In my opinion the very best of these places is The White Eagle, one of the McMenamins saloons. It's amazingly cheap, comfortable, very well kept and you even get free coffee in the morning like a more typical hotel. It's located right on the MAX line (and it's easily walkable into the city for any healthy person). Extra bonus, you get free cover into any shows that take place in the bar while you're there.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
There is a hostel in the Northwest District as well as a new McMennimans hotel downtown as well as the Ace Hotel, which might be good choices if you are wanting to go cheaper.

The blocks here are tiny, so walking 15 blocks to get somewhere is not a big deal at all.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks, all, for your awesome suggestions. Yah, I really do like the idea of the artsy and eclectic dwellings, and price is not as much of a concern as value. I still prefer the private bath (for my girlfriend's sake) but we'll see.

Still got four months to figure it out. I'm sure I'll be back for more itinerary suggestions in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland