Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 5,486 times

Advertisements

hello,

my daughter moved to Portland a year ago...I was there briefly in December of last year but that trip was helping her set up her apartment...
My husband and I plan to be there for 5 days. FYI...We are from New York, so we know cold.....

What is there to do?
I know...rainy/cold but are there side/day trips to do?
Hotel Recommendations in Town (Daughter lives in NE)

thanks in advance for your help

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Since no one has answered yet, I'll take a stab at it. The obvious day trips are to Mt. Hood for snow fun or the beach for it's cold windy beauty - both a 90 minute drive, give or take.

Hotel Lucia is a lovely downtown boutique hotel, has a terrific adjoining restaurant called Pazzo's, and is close to all downtown attractions. Portland Hotels | Hotel Lucia Portland

By the way, it likely won't be as cold as New York is in December.

Let us know what sort of things you like to do and we might be able to personalize suggestions.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Kahneeta hot springs resort is a great destination after a visit to Mt. Hood.

Keep in mind that New York mountains we would call hills. The drive to Timberline Lodge (which is truly worth a visit) can be dicey and may require chains. Were I you I would put it on my list but be prepared to pass if road conditions are problematic. Do not go there on a weekend!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Kahneeta hot springs resort is a great destination after a visit to Mt. Hood.

Keep in mind that New York mountains we would call hills. The drive to Timberline Lodge (which is truly worth a visit) can be dicey and may require chains. Were I you I would put it on my list but be prepared to pass if road conditions are problematic. Do not go there on a weekend!
Or if there is fresh snow the night before.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,112 times
Depends on what you enjoy. We like Jake's Famous Crawfish (Jake's Famous Crawfish Seafood Restaurant - Portland, OR) for a nice seafood dinner downtown. Powell's is a must see city block giant new/used book store you can get lost in there for hours.

Jimmy Mak's (Jimmy Mak's - Jazz, Food, Jazz) is a cool little jazz club to relax and have a drink in the evening.

Voo Doo Donuts is a must stop at for some tasty donuts.

If you're going out towards Mt Hood, Hood River is a great town to explore. Right on the river, it has a very quaint feel to it. Double Mountain Brewery has good beer and great wood oven pizza. Naked Winery is there as well with tons of good wines to taste. On the way to that area you should stop at Multnomah Falls, one of the largest waterfalls. Amazing photos to be taken there and there are a bunch of different falls to see.

If you want to head to the beach, Seaside is a touristy type town with some great downtown shops to browse and a great candy store and arcade. We really like Cannon Beach, less crowded, good food, great views. Astoria is a great Ocean/River town to explore as well with lots of nature and history to see (and it's where The Goonies filmed and took place so it's good for the movie geek ).

Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
The problem with Multnomah Falls ~ or, rather, the Gorge in general ~ is that road conditions are often not worth risking during winter. I, personally, refuse to travel it at all in winter. But if the weather is mild, and 84 is okay, then you may catch the awesome sight of the frozen falls.

Powell's Book Store. Pioneer Mall (though not a big attraction for me). The Portland Art Museum. OMSI ("Body Worlds" exhibit will be going on). NW 23rd Street shopping if the weather is do-able for you.

A drive through winery country, most of it in Washington County.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM

358 posts, read 471,029 times
If you and your family enjoy historical tours you may want to check out the Portland Shanghai Tunnels. A dark and fascinating piece of Portland history. I plan to take the tour myself when I move back.

Shanghai Tunnels - Portland's Dark, Haunting Secret

Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley James View Post
If you and your family enjoy historical tours you may want to check out the Portland Shanghai Tunnels. A dark and fascinating piece of Portland history. I plan to take the tour myself when I move back.

Shanghai Tunnels - Portland's Dark, Haunting Secret
FYI, the actual tour itself is not as great as it's made out to be. The interesting parts are the lecture. Other then that you see a couple of basements, and a dusty tunnel.

The really good parts of the Shanghai Tunnels are either in private hands, collapsed, or blocked off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland