Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM

892 posts, read 2,394,872 times

Advertisements

Since a lot of folks are mentioning transportation issues, here are some links that an outsider to Portland might find extremely useful as background information for current controversies:

streetcar "loop" expansion (already under construction)

"orange line" light rail (already under construction)

new transit/pedestrian bridge (already under construction)

significant streetcar faire changes (proposed last fall)

significant light rail fare changes (proposed this week)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,915,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Since a lot of folks are mentioning transportation issues, here are some links that an outsider to Portland might find extremely useful as background information for current controversies:

streetcar "loop" expansion (already under construction)

"orange line" light rail (already under construction)

new transit/pedestrian bridge (already under construction)

significant streetcar faire changes (proposed last fall)

significant light rail fare changes (proposed this week)
thanks!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,565,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
And the slow crawl South East Portland is taking towards poverty levels.
Care to extrapolate on this one?

I don't think the Sellwood is that much of a hot topic any more. They have secured most of the funding for it and broke ground a few months ago. I guess many Portlanders are still bitter at the Clacks that refused to pay their pittance (I being one of them), so maybe you're right.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM

I will be pretty excited if/when the MAX bridge is built. It is going to provide a lot of service for SE'ers trying to bike across the river, and should alleviate some of the bike congestion on the Hawthorne, which is really the only bridge for the entire quadrant to get to the West side.
Also makes it a slam dunk to get to OHSU.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,454,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Care to extrapolate on this one?
As Alberta area is gentrifying, a lot of the poorer people, especially minorities, are moving into SE Portland area. It's been slowly happening over the past two decades. The Portland Police have opened a couple of new stations down in that area and something like 75% (I don't have the correct number in front of me, but it's pretty significant,) of Police Patrols between 7pm and 5am are now in that area.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM

682 posts, read 1,580,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
As Alberta area is gentrifying, a lot of the poorer people, especially minorities, are moving into SE Portland area. It's been slowly happening over the past two decades. The Portland Police have opened a couple of new stations down in that area and something like 75% (I don't have the correct number in front of me, but it's pretty significant,) of Police Patrols between 7pm and 5am are now in that area.
interesting, I never viewed as Alberta to SE migration, to me it's more like everything close in has been gentrifying and poorer people are being pushed farther away from the city center (outer NE PDX and outer SE PDX), but I have no stats to back this up, just anecdotal...

Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM

There was poverty in SE before the gentrification happened. Outer SE has always been more of a blue-collar and minority area, without huge incomes.

I would tend to agree with Cactus more. I mean, "Felony Flats" (where I actually live) is not nearly as bad as it was even 10 years ago (or so I'm told).
So I don't know if the SE is really getting poorer.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM

892 posts, read 2,394,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I will be pretty excited if/when the MAX bridge is built. It is going to provide a lot of service for SE'ers trying to bike across the river, and should alleviate some of the bike congestion on the Hawthorne, which is really the only bridge for the entire quadrant to get to the West side.
Also makes it a slam dunk to get to OHSU.
There's definitely no "if" at this point. Just a matter of time. Both the new transit bridge (still unnamed as far as I know) across the river and the Gibbs pedestrian bridge over I-5 are well under way now, if you haven't been down to the South Waterfront recently to see all the construction taking place. In fact major new portions of MAX and streetcar right-of-way have already been cleared (the majority of the east side streetcar expansion is done now, they're just putting up the wires and poles).

Between the two of them, access to OHSU for east side folks and Lair Hill folks is going to be amazingly improved...as well as access to rail transit into and around the city. Good stuff, I'm very excited about it all.

http://trimet.org/pm/construction/bridge (more info)

http://gibbsbridge.org/ (more info)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
There's definitely no "if" at this point.
I have definitely been down there, and know it's been worked on, I just won't actually believe it until it's under my feet and I'm crossing the river. Who knows what will happen 3 years from now (and all the just depends on when the Cascadia quake hits, right?).

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,592,781 times
Odds are that bridge will do just fine, it will be the old bridges that fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland