Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,456,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
There was poverty in SE before the gentrification happened. Outer SE has always been more of a blue-collar and minority area, without huge incomes.

I would tend to agree with Cactus more. I mean, "Felony Flats" (where I actually live) is not nearly as bad as it was even 10 years ago (or so I'm told).
So I don't know if the SE is really getting poorer.
One of the papers had a huge article about how the average wages are dropping in SE Portland over all. That was about six or seven months ago, but I wasn't able to find the article when I searched for it the other day.

The article was in connection with the number of increased police calls compared to other parts of the cities.

I do agree, there was poverty in SE before gentrification, and most likely always will be. I don't think crime is really getting worse in that area, at least outside of property crime and theft. But services such as good schools and easy access to basic food supplies is a definite concern for residents in SE more then it was a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM

892 posts, read 1,595,045 times
The SE overall may be getting poorer but it's hard to compare a relatively small quadrant like N or NW Portland with a larger, more sprawling quadrant like SE. It seems like the poverty in Portland keeps shifting east and somewhat south. Geography kind of limits the other options.

When I first moved here, Lents and 82nd were areas to actively avoid. They may not be ideal now but the areas have shifted to 122nd and Hazelwood.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,566,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
But services such as good schools and easy access to basic food supplies is a definite concern for residents in SE more then it was a decade ago.
We were somewhat surprised at the differences between the Fred Meyer on 82nd and Foster vs. the one we used to go to at Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy and Scholl's Ferry. We figured since it was the same chain they offered the same things. Wrong. THere is a much smaller produce section, and much less on the natural/organic food aisle. We have pretty much been reduced to shopping in 3 rows of the store. Granted there is a bigger, more selection Fred Meyers just a few miles down the road in Clackamas. And we are within 2-3 miles of 2 different trader Joe's.
At least for us the food access isn't too bad, the we wished there was a closer New Seasons (closest is Sellwood).

Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM

892 posts, read 1,595,045 times
What surprised me the most about Fred Meyer is the price disparity between stores. I was shopping for something for a recipe and saw it at a Fred Meyer in Beaverton for say $0.89. I thought we might have it. Turns out we didn't so I went to the Fred Meyer on Hawthorne and the same thing was $0.99. Not a huge individual difference but that could add up for a whole bag of groceries.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM

892 posts, read 2,395,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
What surprised me the most about Fred Meyer is the price disparity between stores. I was shopping for something for a recipe and saw it at a Fred Meyer in Beaverton for say $0.89. I thought we might have it. Turns out we didn't so I went to the Fred Meyer on Hawthorne and the same thing was $0.99. Not a huge individual difference but that could add up for a whole bag of groceries.
FWIW, this has been true of every chain of grocery stores in every city I've ever lived in (across several widely varying regions of the U.S.). I really don't think it's uncommon...it's just an expression of supply and demand in different neighborhoods. Items command different prices among different people. In some food stores, you will even find the exact same product in two parts of the store with different UPC codes on it (and one might be much more expensive than the other). It definitely pays to keep your eyes peeled.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,456,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
We were somewhat surprised at the differences between the Fred Meyer on 82nd and Foster vs. the one we used to go to at Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy and Scholl's Ferry. We figured since it was the same chain they offered the same things. Wrong. THere is a much smaller produce section, and much less on the natural/organic food aisle. We have pretty much been reduced to shopping in 3 rows of the store. Granted there is a bigger, more selection Fred Meyers just a few miles down the road in Clackamas. And we are within 2-3 miles of 2 different trader Joe's.
At least for us the food access isn't too bad, the we wished there was a closer New Seasons (closest is Sellwood).
Now imagine going shopping and having to take all your groceries home via bus or bike.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 AM

892 posts, read 2,395,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Now imagine going shopping and having to take all your groceries home via bus or bike.
I grocery shop almost exclusively using the streetcar and MAX, it works out pretty well as I like fresh things and would need to shop a couple times a week anyway so I tend to carry smaller loads each time. I can hit two different Safeway stores, a Fred Meyer, a Trader Joe and a Whole Foods as well as two different days of the Farmer's Market all by free rail (well free for now anyway, see my earlier post about current transit politics).

I break out my car about once a month just to keep it lubed and clean off the plugs, etc. and then I tend to make larger runs, including places a bit out of the way for me like WINCO (amazing bulk food section) where I'll grab more stuff at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland