Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,914,796 times

Advertisements

Someone (can't remember who) asked why we didn't talk more politics on here. Not looking for a debate, just opinions on how things are going in PDX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM

297 posts, read 726,946 times
For that question, I will refer you to the web site of...

"Stephanie G. Pierce, "Artist to the Stars", Celebrity Spokesmodel/Minister, Biospherian, Hostette, Confirmed Semi-Finalist,and, Most Importantly of All, AN AMERICAN"...
Church of Elvis Home Website!! 24 Hour Church of Elvis!!

(Click on "E-Bitty!!" for the latest burning issues.)
</B>

Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 PM

892 posts, read 2,394,410 times
I'm presuming you mean specific stuff instead of "job creation" or "business friendliness" or other made up meaningless buzzwords...so here are what I guess I'd consider the top of mind here right now:

- the special election for the first district is in progress, concludes in a week
- the next mayoral race heating up, real campaigning now rather than just fundraising
- we may have a GOP debate taking place in town soon, much discussion there

Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,565,206 times
I think transportation dollars are always a hot topic here, and this year will see a pretty substantial cut.

The use of water department tax funds was and still is a major issue people are thinking about.

Right now, I'd have to guess national politics dominate most people's thoughts.

A few months ago it definitely would have been Occupy Portland.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM

682 posts, read 1,580,471 times
Agree re: transportation issues, specific ones that come to mind are the new I-5 Bridge (Columbia River Crossing), new Sellwood Bridge, Streetcar to Lake Oswego (as part of the the Foothills project), and the effort to stop the light rail line (or at least the local funding portion of it) to Milwaukie.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

343 posts, read 693,369 times
Drugs
Homelessness
Unemployment

If the cards are played right by government, lemonade may be the new beverage of Portland. These problems can be addressed, it's just not being done.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,542,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Agree re: transportation issues, specific ones that come to mind are the new I-5 Bridge (Columbia River Crossing), new Sellwood Bridge, Streetcar to Lake Oswego (as part of the the Foothills project), and the effort to stop the light rail line (or at least the local funding portion of it) to Milwaukie.
I'll agree that transportation issues are near the top of the list. The Columbia Crossing and the what to do(giant $5 billion bridge with or without light rail) wil continue to be an issue--as well streetcar/lightrail connections to Clackamas County, which seems to be getting a mixed response. Another issue, which is connected to lightrail discussions, is the budget problems facing TriMet--and the resulting changes to service. There's already smaller towns on the outskirts of the metro that are having TriMet service cut or significantly rolled back--or they're opting out of TriMet.

I think there's going to be a shift in Portland where more people are going to be focusing on issues like the economy and infrastructure needs... I'm sort of hoping there will be at least--we've had enought time to think about bike bridges that play music when you ride over them or renaming streets for Cesar Chavez that maybe we can get back to the business of making Portland more viable. Of course, maybe the populace doesn't care that much, and we'll continue to get half-assed leadership focusing on fufilling Portlandia stereotypes or getting backroom deals with condo developers...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
I wouldn't slam condo developers per se because the city needed the projects to increase the value of the land they were built on. In the core area where many were constructed contained industrial warehouses that users were abandoning. The city is/was sued because of pollution from the combined sewer & water lines, the expense of the fix substantial. They had to dig up city streets to remedy the problem so the cost of putting other utilities underground at the same time was minimal.. however, there needed to be a demand for a higher level of services. All this happened as the housing market started an insane climb. Lots of assumptions about sale prices were made by developers and lenders here and across the country.. we all know the result. BTW, I don't respect many condo developers either, particularly those who converted apartment buildings.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times
The Columbia River Crossing, the MAX line to Lake Oswego, the replacement of the Sellwood Bridge.

And the slow crawl South East Portland is taking towards poverty levels.

Possibly dollars and tax breaks being give to developers, but I have a hard time believing that those dollars are not made up for in increased tax revenue.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM

978 posts, read 1,090,076 times
with the max there trying to decide if they should stop it before clackamas county

but i think they decided to not hove the lake o street car

Last edited by sorupaa; 01-26-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland