Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times

Advertisements

Wow, I actually thought jambo101's accidental post was funny and not trollish even if it had been purposely posted. This thread was fine until post #15... I think some of the OTHER posters need to see if maybe they're the ones being snarky and not jambo101. And not just in this particular thread even.

With that said, I also think the OP should try at VQ. As has been said, an 'in' in Portland is what you need to succeed in employment. VQ also is very established and well-respected in the area. And tasty food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Add to that (although if you're coming from Corvallis, you already know) that Oregon pays servers minimum wage PLUS tips. I think Oregon and CA are the only states that do. I've waited fine dining for years in several states and used to just walk in a restaurant, show them a resume and then start work immediately... that is until I moved here.

The competition was fierce and I ended up working for a catering company at minimum wage with NO tips just to be able to eat. I applied at 50 or so restaurants and there was nothing at the time. I finally did get work at a diner, then an Italian Restaurant, and finally at the Riverplace Hotel in their banquet department. THAT work I loved. Had gratuity included with pay and I did quite well with little stress. I don't know how their business is now, but it might be a fit. They also have a great fine dining restaurant on the property with spectacular river views.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Oh... almost forgot... yes, the VQ would be a great place if there is room. I don't know anything about the management and that can make or break one's experience... Old school management techniques that crush their staff can still be common in restaurants, I'm afraid.

There's nothing like coming to work all ready to go and then have the management yell at the staff night after night and then expect them to go and be pleasant to the guests!!

Part of the skill of service is to make it seem effortless... but behind the scenes it can be like juggling cats.

Who gets what? When is it time to bring that second drink? Who's been drinking too much? Is it time to either slow the drink timing down or even weaken the drink for safety reasons!! (servers and bar tenders are responsible, you know, for making sure patrons aren't toasted when they leave.. )

Computer problems? Most restaurants don't use a pad and pen any more to give orders to the kitchen. It is all rung in on computer and has to have all the modifiers properly coded.

Who is having a birthday? An anniversary? A first date? A divorce? Cranky kids? Problems with the chef? Slow food? Under or overcooked food? How to handle so many details.. and yet make it seem as though there is not stress...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Wow, I actually thought jambo101's accidental post was funny and not trollish even if it had been purposely posted. This thread was fine until post #15... I think some of the OTHER posters need to see if maybe they're the ones being snarky and not jambo101. And not just in this particular thread even.
Hey, I'll admit to occasionally being snarky. Nothing wrong with that. But ... when someone posts with the snark they've got to expect it back. Not start calling others out on it.

I don't sniff troll, either. Just someone really defensive who can't just say sorry.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Another popular place is Jake's, a McCormick & Schmick's restaurant.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 15,200 times
I got hired at Daniel Mondok's new place in Dundee, Paulee. It will be a bit of a drive, but ultimately I want to get back into the wine industry so the contacts made will be worth their weight in gold. Also the place is paying for my first level sommelier, cicerone (beer equivalent), and mixology school. That alone will float the gas expense for about 8 months. Also, they are taking us to France in January. I guess I lucked the F out. Thanks everybody for the advice. Even Jambo###'s, I'm going to get a sundae at Friendly's to celebrate. Hell, I might even go pick up some cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster and have a full out white trash celebration.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Congratulations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland