Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM

478 posts, read 882,315 times

Advertisements

The Clackamas area does have a pretty nice water park which is much cheaper than McMinnville's- Aquatic Park - North Clackamas Parks & Recreation District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
Hi there,
I actually love living just outside of Portland in the nw side. There's a small place called tanasbourne that's got enough stores for shopping & eating that you really don't need to go downtown unless you want to. (and it's only 10-25min drive depending on traffic to downtown) it's nuzzled between Hillsboro, NW Portland & Beaverton.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,596 times
Well, it's kinda like the Central Valley. Freeway down the middle, town here, town there...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyshoosh View Post
There's a small place called tanasbourne that's got enough stores for shopping & eating that you really don't need to go downtown unless you want to.
Or unless you're tired of chains stores and restaurants. Don't get me wrong, Pasta Pronto and Lentil Garden are both good, but they get old pretty fast.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM

56 posts, read 112,723 times
I live in Beaverton, great place. They have awesome schools as our daughter is going to Nancy Ryles.

There are stores close by in most areas, with many choices Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer, new seasons

Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM

198 posts, read 400,303 times
I would vote for Sherwood if you want a small town feel within a Metro area. Still a burb, but it has a little tiny original town. Not just a sprawl. People love it for their kids. I think McMinnville would be nice too.

The best towns in my opinion in Oregon if you want smaller, would be Corvallis or Eugene. Not so small, but have a nice feel, good schools and health care.

I would never recommend Roseburg. IMO. As previous poster said it is far from Portland, and remote socially.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 PM

33 posts, read 77,045 times
Portland itself it made up of many smaller neighborhoods, each with their own business district. Sellwood and St. Johns, and many other parts of the city, used to be independent and have the feeling of a small town. You could very easily live right in Portland and still feel like you are in a small town with charm and character, and take advantage of public transportation and community events. Another option for you might be Milwaukie - just south of Portland. It's in Clackamas County, part of North Clackamas School District, and has a small downtown area, suburban developments and easy access to farms / forest. I used to work there and for being so close to Portland, it feels very much like small town USA, in both attitude and architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland