Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,267,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Why would you move here without a job?
Young people are doing it nationwide. I have several friends who moved to Portland, all without jobs. A few of them found meaningful employment, a few ended up underemployed, and a couple ended up broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Young people are doing it nationwide. I have several friends who moved to Portland, all without jobs. A few of them found meaningful employment, a few ended up underemployed, and a couple ended up broke.
It's just a crap shoot. If someone is willing to take a chance of just jumping in without a job and understands the consequences that's fine. I have seen more than a few couples and families break up and a lot of heartache ensue due to the inability to find work in Portland. It can cause a real strain on relationships.

It isn't easy on an individual either but a single person does have less to lose.

Planning ahead, checking out a place for yourself and not going by what others who have never relocated to the place to which you are considering your move, is the smart way to do it.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,350,327 times
Quote:
Why would you move here without a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

And everyone of them thought they were the exception to the rule. Just because everyone is doing it does not mean they should be, and the reality is everyone is not doing it, and few succeed.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,462,152 times
Things are different when you are young, healthy, adventurous, have a head full of dreams and are willing to take some risk.

Fast forward to your forties and all of a sudden being careful, conservative and maintaining the status qou is the norm.
Like a turtle.

Kind of boring to someone in their twenties who has their life ahead of them...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM

I am 65 and on any given day, I and those my age I associate with, do more than any of the youngsters around us.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM

Actually, I think a person who is a bit oder as in maybe in their 30's may have a better chance than one in their 20's if they have more experience and education. Today's 20 year olds who have none of these things are often competing with older more stable people who do for these same jobs in today's tough job market. I saw this all the time when I was a part of a team hiring for entry level jobs at Standard.

I don't know if that is true of sales or food service work but I often do see people in their thirties in those jobs just as often as those in their twenties.

Back in the day, employers were willing to train young people in just about any type of work. That's how I learned when I was just twenty. That was both in office work and in the lab tech field. Today, that isn't the case. More and more you need to bring some kind of schooling to the table. That's usually going to college or to one of those trade schools advertised on TV. Or at least they prefer people who have experience in the fields in which they are seeking jobs. So someone just a bit older will have all that.

It's a different world today than it was when those of us who are much older entered the job market. We can't tell younger people what to do or give advice based on the way things were when we were in our twenties and expect them to find the same conditions.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,462,152 times
Quote:
I am 65 and on any given day, I and those my age I associate with, do more than any of the youngsters around us.
So did you undertake any ventures that had successful results 45 years ago that would seem wild, crazy and irresponsible for you to attempt now?

I know I did.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Not really. Like most twenty year olds I thought I knew it all. Now that I do, I laugh at how much twenty somethings really don't know.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,629,027 times
Ah, but most twenty somethings undertake those wild, crazy and irresponsible ventures BECAUSE they think they know everything. I know I did. Mostly succeeded, but had some spectacular failures.

I'm also not afraid to admit that I still fail, 20 years later. Maybe in 20 more years I'll be perfect, like other 65-year-olds.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Ah, but most twenty somethings undertake those wild, crazy and irresponsible ventures BECAUSE they think they know everything. I know I did. Mostly succeeded, but had some spectacular failures.

I'm also not afraid to admit that I still fail, 20 years later. Maybe in 20 more years I'll be perfect, like other 65-year-olds.
I don't know any perfect 65 year olds, just those who know enough to admit they aren't. But I do know some pretty adventuresome ones who have started new careers after retiring from their first jobs. They are just a bit more cautious than they were at the age of twenty.

Anyway, before this thread gets moved to the retirement forum, I hope the advice the OP has been given has helped and s/he finds a job soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland