Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

I was really happy to see that all Portlanders owe a regressive 35 dollar income tax to support the arts and arts education in the city. Rather than deal with petty problems like rampant drug use, homelessness, record food stamp use, or the inability to attract a single Fortune 500 company to the city limits, I'm proud to say that my new city has decided to fix the real problems facing urban America. This tax will give kids the skills needed to compete and participate in the global economy for years to come. Thumbs up Portland

Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,559 times
Keep Portland Weird, Yo!

In all reality, maybe exposing kids to Art will lead them on a path away from drugs? Who knows???

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
So you feel that Portland residents should contribute more money to
-the useless and utterly ridiculous war on drugs? The nation as a whole is already wasting billions and filling our prisons up with these people, Portland needs to get with the program right?
-the homeless population that is comprised mostly of those who are/were unwilling to work, etc

I'm not sure how tax dollars can lure fortune 500 companies to Portland. But I guess every town needs more Wal-Marts and other unscrupulous companies like FNMA, GM, Exxon, etc. But we need to get these fat cats richer! What can we do to get them in to Portland so we can tear down all the mom and pop stores?

Yes! screw education! And we all know art makes kids do drugs. Stick them in cubicle farms, under pay them and force them to work long hours! This will drive them away from alcoholism and drugs.
Organic smanic! Out with healthy food, it's too expensive. A couple of shopping malls filled with Sbarro's, McDonalds, Panda Express and we won't need no stinking food carts, Farmers Markets, etc

Yes Portland, be ashamed. It's time to follow suit. If we can just get everyone to chip in, Portland can be the next Los Angeles. So the next time you vote, demand more tanning salons and large corporations that will swindle people, fill their exec's pockets with large sums of cash and then get a nice bail out from the government at the tax payers expense. Everyone wins.

/sarcastic rant off

Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
or the inability to attract a single Fortune 500 company to the city limits,
I can think of one off the top of my head.
Precision Castparts Corp. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Yes...post #3. What s/he said! I don't know why the o.p. moved to PDX, unless it was at gunpoint. Didn't he know how we roll here? It's not like any secret is made of the fact that we lean Left in several areas. Why would an outspoken RWNJ want to move to PDX and bring on early coronary disease and the resultant shortened life expectancy? Go figure.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-01-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I can think of one off the top of my head.
Precision Castparts Corp. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are correct. I didn't know Precision was within city limits. But I stand by my statement: Portland still can't attact any.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
Quote:
This isn't leaning left, this is leaning stupidly.
Agree.

Just for fun, take a look at your property tax bill and see how much you already pay to support education.

This was just another stupid Sam Adams "cry for attention" antic.

BTW, anybody know how and when Portlanders are supposed to pay this 35 bucks?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
The rural backwater I come from is 1/2 the size of Portland and has 2 Fortune 500 companies within city limits, and 6 within the immediate metro area.
Portland was around long before you were born and will be here long after you are dust. Those vaunted Fortune 500 companies you put so much stock in get such wonderful tax breaks and land use waivers etc. etc. It is questionable as to whether they are good for a city or is it more that the city is good for them. Intel vigorously lobbies to increase their quota's of H1B visa holders. They get their Power and Light at bargain rates. But... 2 Fortune 500's within the city limits? Whoa.. .. I really have to ask again: why did you leave? Do you think I'd have left NYC if they had 2 Fortune 500 companies within the city limits???!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
Quote:
Yes. I am practically a right wing fascist because I think making poor and middle class people pay $35 for a fund that supports "the arts" (what does that even mean? Pretty vague term aka most likely will be abused), rather than "the sciences" or "the maths" or "the english classes," you know, useful things, is silly.

The rural backwater I come from is 1/2 the size of Portland and has 2 Fortune 500 companies within city limits, and 6 within the immediate metro area.
Some of us don't want to work for Nike or Chevron or Microsoft. Those who do can move to New York, LA, San Francisco, and a host of other cities. There are plenty to choose from. I for one love that Portland is a city that has options and isn't inundated with large corporations. Not only do I not want to work for these people, I don't want to be surrounded by people who do. Stressed out, unhappy, etc. Respect that not everyone wants their lives to revolve around these types of infrastructure. Portland doesn't need to change. You need to find a city that suits your needs, desires, and ideals. Instead of trying to get Portland to comform to what you want. Once upon a time, California was the most desireable place in the country. Then everyone flocked there bringing these same ideals you are pushing on Portland. Now they are leaving in droves and the state is broken and in disarray.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Portland was around long before you were born and will be here long after you are dust. Those vaunted Fortune 500 companies you put so much stock in get such wonderful tax breaks and land use waivers etc. etc. It is questionable as to whether they are good for a city or is it more that the city is good for them. Intel vigorously lobbies to increase their quota's of H1B visa holders. They get their Power and Light at bargain rates. But... 2 Fortune 500's within the city limits? Whoa.. .. I really have to ask again: why did you leave? Do you think I'd have left NYC if they had 2 Fortune 500 companies within the city limits???!
I left because I liked the city and the vibe, and because I like the state. There was also no arts tax when I made the decision. Since a lot on this forum have a "if you don't like it, leave" mentality rather than an open mindedness to new ideas from other places in this country to actually make the city better, at what point, as an Oregon tax payer and productive employed resident who pays thousands into the state treasury each year, am I allowed to have a say in my community, or express complaints? Or am I not allowed to ever have a voice because "I'm not from here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland