Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 106,248 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that wouldn't fit my son. He's very intelligent, but he's going through the 'this world is a ****ty place so why bother' phase. I just want him to MAKE IT through high school, then he can spend time doing some soul-searching and grow up a bit before figuring out college stuff. It took me until my late twenties to have any idea of who I wanted to be in the world, and I'm not going to push him. He needs to figure it out for himself.

So how about the rental scenario? It seems I will be stuck with apartments... I have been spoiled and have lived in houses and, at the very least, a duplex in the past, but this would be my first time doing the apartment thing. Where can I live that's affordable but still in a good school district and not too far out? I guess I want to spend between 900-1100 a month, depending on what's included. Maybe after a bit I will see how necessary a car is; I didn't have one in Florida, and it seems like Portland is even easier without a car.

So... any advice on where to live? If I move it would be July, so I would visit in late June or early July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore Natasha View Post
Yeah, that wouldn't fit my son. He's very intelligent, but he's going through the 'this world is a ****ty place so why bother' phase. I just want him to MAKE IT through high school, then he can spend time doing some soul-searching and grow up a bit before figuring out college stuff. It took me until my late twenties to have any idea of who I wanted to be in the world, and I'm not going to push him. He needs to figure it out for himself.

So how about the rental scenario? It seems I will be stuck with apartments... I have been spoiled and have lived in houses and, at the very least, a duplex in the past, but this would be my first time doing the apartment thing. Where can I live that's affordable but still in a good school district and not too far out? I guess I want to spend between 900-1100 a month, depending on what's included. Maybe after a bit I will see how necessary a car is; I didn't have one in Florida, and it seems like Portland is even easier without a car.

So... any advice on where to live? If I move it would be July, so I would visit in late June or early July.
From what you described earlier, that rent won't get you a whole lot in the type pf neighborhoods you previously described you were seeking. You rent budget may get you a one bedroom apartment in one of those neighborhoods. Studios sometimes run more. Nothing special included. You are probably used to something different where you are.

You can get much more apartment for your money in the suburbs which is another reason Beaverton sounds like a much better choice for you.

The farther out Portland neighborhoods may be a possibility because as you go farther away from the type of neighborhood with the stuff you were looking for the better your chances of finding something a little closer to your price. The more features the neighborhood has to offer, the more the rents will be no matter where you are because landlords like to take advantage of that. As a renter I have moved often enough to know that.

A two bedroom apartment in the type of Portland neighborhood you seek, if you could find one would run you much closer to $2000 a month. Of course there is always the chance you could unearth a bargain for less, but as someone just starting out here, those chances would be limited. Be very careful of what you might see on Craig's List or ads like that. Most are legit but some are not. If it sounds too good to be true in comparison to the rest, chances are it is. If at all possible, don't rent sight unseen.

Keep in mind that Portland has about a 3.0 vacancy rate or lower. Larger apartments in the city are hard to come by so like the job situation, grab what you can now and seek something better when you are better situated.

I don't mean to sound super negative or unduly harsh, many have come here and have done really great. But relocating to Portland takes a lot of planning and work because there are many who want to do this. Portland is not a large city that has been able to accommodate the numbers although it is now trying with the construction of new apartments. But it has a way to go in that regard. So you just have to maybe plan a little bit more if you want to relocate here.

I think some of our newer transplants can tell you that.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
I don't know. Looking at PadMapper, I'm surprised (and impressed) at the number of 2-bedroom apartments available for under the $1100 top figure. Doesn't make it look quite so dire, even factoring in fake listings. But they are spread around town pretty well. Though probably not the most attractive places to live, they seem doable. Like most of the apartments I spent my first decades of adulthood living in. Lol.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM

320 posts, read 417,338 times
I know you mentioned Beaverton earlier as a possible option. From the research I've done, Beaverton also has one of the best overall school districts in the area. Because Beaverton is just outside of Portland (about 7 miles I believe?), the housing is a bit cheaper. I did a quick search on Realtor.com for 2 bedroom rentals in your price range and here is what I got......

Beaverton OR Apartments, Homes and Houses for Rent - REALTOR.com®

As you can see your budget is doable, it just depends what your looking for and if your willing to compromise on location. Hope this helps! Good luck

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM

52 posts, read 106,248 times
Thanks! Checking them out now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland