Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM

52 posts, read 106,279 times

Advertisements

Six months ago I moved with my teenage son from from SW Florida to Connecticut. I have tried but find that other than the beautiful countryside and amazing hiking we often do, I really do not like it here. The people are not welcoming, and if I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's the difference between a coastal Florida melting pot of a city where everyone is from someplace else and small New England towns where everyone was born and raised and friends since kindergarten. The last time my coworkers invited me out, nobody talked to me. It was amazing. Good for a laugh, at least!

My best friend also moved when I did; she went to Portland. As it happens, my son's father also lives out there. So, maybe it's a sign.

BUT.

Can I do it? Let's say I save $5000, sell everything, drive out with my son and two cats. I can handle that. I don't scare easily, and I'm very lucky to have a semi-rich father who would bail me out if absolutely necessary. That is, however, not something I want to see happen. So can I make it work? My credit is a bit screwed since I moved up here; the first few jobs I had didn't pay as promised. I work at a steakhouse now and make good money. I'd be okay if I stayed here, just lonely and understimulated. But that's the part that's killing me.

How are the server jobs? How are the schools? I moved to help my son get back on track, but didn't consider the reality that we went from one of the worst school systems in the country to one of the best. He's struggling. I hope Portland is somewhere in between.

I worked at a private yacht club in Florida. I have great references. I'm relatively attractive, personable, very hard working, intelligent, yadayada. If I get an interview, I almost always get the job.

Okay, so... any questions? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Having a safety net (your dad) allows you to take a risk. If I were you, though, I'd do two things first:

1) Read through this forum thoroughly to get a feel for the cautions that residents have given posters like you about moving here without a job.
2) Try to triple the amount you have saved up before moving.

I understand not wanting to live in a place where you feel like an outsider. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM

254 posts, read 442,833 times
I don't live in Portland (yet) but every time I see someone asking about serving jobs, the consensus seems to be that they are few and far between and when someone actually gets one, they hold onto it for dear life. Also, they are found via word-of-mouth through a network of friends, which isn't the easiest thing to develop. Just what I've gleaned as an outsider. The people here are vastly knowledgeable and I am sure will set right any misstatements I might've unwittingly made. Either way, best of luck to you!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
I don't live in Portland (yet) but every time I see someone asking about serving jobs, the consensus seems to be that they are few and far between and when someone actually gets one, they hold onto it for dear life. Also, they are found via word-of-mouth through a network of friends, which isn't the easiest thing to develop.
You are 100% right. Nothing more to be said

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

192 posts, read 454,764 times
1) Does your son want to move? Being a teenager is hard enough without having to start over again and again. Does he have a social support system now that would be a loss? If so, it would seem reasonable to allow him to finish out high school before thinking of moving.

2) Has your best friend suggested you join her here? Is she interested in being your anchor here? It's a lot of pressure to put on someone. I'm speaking without knowing a thing about your relationship, but it is worth considering whether she has moved here and formed her own circle of friends, which may not be any more inclusive of you than the people you know now.

3) Be careful not to think of another move as a cure-all. Sometimes a move can break patterns, sure. But I get the impression that people sometimes start thinking about their issues or struggles as being a result of location, when they are really a result of psychology and behavior.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Regarding the server jobs, yes there are lots of them but there are also lots of people competing for them. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Portland has many restaraunts; it is a foodie town. That may be one reason why there are so many servers here. But because of that, those who are looking for work in that area are attracted to this city so you will be one of many.

That is where networking comes in. Jobs in many if not most fields are often obtained by word of mouth here. So, what I would suggest is that you start making some inquires before moving as to who may be hiring. If your friend is in the business that will help.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
How does your teenage son feel about the move from Florida to Connecticut (or the proposed move from Connecticut to Portland)? I would feel that would be a big factor. It's tough changing schools and having to make new friends with each move. Maybe having his Dad in Portland would make that city a draw for him too. I would definitely enlist your friend to try to help you find a job before you make the move. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 AM

52 posts, read 106,279 times
Ah, good questions.

My son has already been uprooted and is no more settled here than I am. We are two peas in a pod (well, in personality. Of course we outwardly hate each other as any mother and teenage son must. Just kidding. Sort of) and he seems as unable to connect with people as I have been. He does have one good friend, and I believe they will keep in touch. We have family here so we will be back once a year or two to visit. He wants to move to Portland without question. It is I who have the reservations.

My best friend is my best friend. I have a handful of them. They are people I've laughed with, cried with, f***ed up with, f***ed over, been forgiven by, and forgave in turn, only to laugh and cry together all over again. Maybe that's why I don't 'connect' with people. Maybe I expect too much from friendship. Oh, but I digress! Point is, yes, she would do anything for me. And because she makes friends the way I make friends, they would be my friends too, no question. She came up with the idea. Her boyfriend, who is also a friend of mine from years before, is thrilled at the possibility. They keep dropping little hints on my facebook. I post a photo of a hiking trip and they reply, 'you know... Portland has GREAT hiking!' At this point, I'm a little afraid of NOT moving; I don't want to disappoint them. Incidentally, he works at a local pub called Golden Valley Brewery. He seems to think he'll get me a job there. But I'd like to be able to bank on my own job-getting abilities.

For what it's worth, I also have many years of experience as a Barista. But something tells me that would be a far more difficult job to procure in the northwest. Besides, I'm used to seeing a minimum of $20/hour.

I was planning to fly out shortly before the proposed move to visit and scout housing and jobs. It's just not the sort of industry where one can secure a job without being present. It's a bit of a conundrum.

Lastly, Twilighter, your final query is the best of all. You're absolutely right. It would be a bit of running away, I can't deny that. But is that so bad? If there were some issue here that I weren't dealing with, something I needed to stay and face, well... but in order for one to be running away, there has to be something to run away from. If I'm only trying to run away from myself, well, seems like I'm likely to bump into her sooner or later in Portland. And if a showdown there must be, a showdown we will have. Taking bets now...

Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
If your friend can get you a job, take it. Consider it a foot in the door. It's golden. Trust me, people would kill for the opportunity to have someone have that kind of door for them. You can build on it from there. I am sure if you want to move on at some point in the future he will understand. Everyone does that. When it comes to getting a job in Portland, job getting abilities often play only a small part in it.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If your friend can get you a job, take it. Consider it a foot in the door. It's golden. Trust me, people would kill for the opportunity to have someone have that kind of door for them. You can build on it from there. I am sure if you want to move on at some point in the future he will understand. Everyone does that. When it comes to getting a job in Portland, job getting abilities often play only a small part in it.
I concur with Minervah. You already have somewhat of a network out here, which is MUCH more than many newcomers have. You have a leg up.

If it's the Golden Valley Brewery in Beaverton, that's a new place--I think it opened within the past year or so. It's nice--I wouldn't call it "fine dining" but I would imagine they do a brisk business there. And their beer is great. There's another one in McMinnville which is about 35 miles south and considered outside of the Portland Metro area (in the wine country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland