Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I'm quite sure it would be illegal to intentionally allow water in the fuel tanks. It could happen accidentally, but the station would be responsible for the damage to the cars that used the gas.
I've used Costco gas in California and Oregon. Never had a problem. The other day when we filled up in Roseburg, we were towing our travel trailer. No problems going over Sexton Summit.
It is illegal in California and Oregon too to pump water into the gas tanks. Near me there is a shell station that has very low prices but everytime I put gas in at that shell station my car stalls and has trouble starting. Other people who have used this gas station have had the same problem as me. I pit some gas in a canister and brought it to my mechanic. He tested the gas and told me it's watered down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 PM

More questions about Portland. Last time 5 years ago when I went to Portland I stayed at Portland Marriot City center next to Peets coffee and a few blocks from the pearl district. This year I have thought about staying at motel 6 on Powell blvd in southwest Portland. Is that a safe area?? I also found a Courtyard Marriott a block from Voo Doo donuts and Stumptown coffee that is $20 more a night than motel 6 that I'm also considering. Actually with the price of parking the courtyard Marriott is $35 more a night. Is it worth an extra $35 a night?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Does Portland have a 20% unemployment rate? Five years ago I really wanted to move to Portland but the high unemployment rate scared me. This October I was in Seattle for 4 days and liked Seattle better than Portland.

So on this trip I want to see Portland first before I visit Seattle to make my decision.

I grew up in the Los Angeles San Fernando Valley area. I'm tired of living down here.

My family moved to the LA area in 1982 when I was 1 years old.

At age 32 I can't find a girlfriend and having trouble finding work. I'm not an Abercrombie and Fitch male model type.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Also housing costs in the LA area are too expensive for me. To live in a safe area in LA you are looking at $1100-$1200 a month for a dumpy studio apartment.

A room for rent is around $750-$900 per month.

LA is over rated in my opinion.

Our retail sales tax is 9%.

California also has a very high state income tax on top of federal income tax. Unfortunately Oregon also has a high state income tax but no retail sales tax makes up for it.

Washington has a high retail sales tax but no state income tax.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Another concern of mine is my car is a 14 year old car with 181,000 miles on it.

Could it be a mistake to take a car of this age on a long driving trip?

My car is a 2000 Toyota camry. I'm the original owner of the car.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM

When I was in Portland 5 years ago I noticed that the people were much friendlier than in LA. It's no comparison. Is it still like that?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Has anyone on this forum used a car shipping service? Many of them charge $500-$600 to ship a car from LA to Portland.

Are they reliable?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Why are you so worried about your car and its age? Make sure all is good with it and off you go.
I'm driving my 2000 Saturn down Fairfield in mid may and have no worries about it..Its just a long
drive threw mountains until you get south of Redding, sorta looking forward to it..I live in Salem
and the people up here are the best..
Looking forward to seeing old friends in Napa but not the attitude.
Have a safe trip

Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Why are you so worried about your car and its age? Make sure all is good with it and off you go.
I'm driving my 2000 Saturn down Fairfield in mid may and have no worries about it..Its just a long
drive threw mountains until you get south of Redding, sorta looking forward to it..I live in Salem
and the people up here are the best..
Looking forward to seeing old friends in Napa but not the attitude.
Have a safe trip
People on the LA area call my 2000 Toyota camry an old junker and always ask me when I'm getting a new car. It insults me because my car still runs and my heating and air conditioning still work. Maybe LA or california is snobby or empty headed or both.

My cell phone is a basic samsung verizon keyboard text flip phone. Here in LA everyone and I mean almost everyone has an apple iPhone. People look at me funny and wonder why I don't have one.

This is why I want to leave California.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
It is illegal in California and Oregon too to pump water into the gas tanks. Near me there is a shell station that has very low prices but everytime I put gas in at that shell station my car stalls and has trouble starting. Other people who have used this gas station have had the same problem as me. I pit some gas in a canister and brought it to my mechanic. He tested the gas and told me it's watered down.
Costco buys its gas from major fuel distributors in the local area, the one that gives the best price. Costco does not add anything to the gas.

The most common source of water in gasoline is surface water or condensation within the tank. For example, if you have a boat and haven't used it over the winter condensation within your fuel tank is likely. Most experienced boaters use an additive in the spring to address that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland