Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,045 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the speed limit is in the area the OP was asking about? And do you have to absolutely do it? Can you go 5mph over? 10mph?

I'm making the drive next week and obviously don't need a speeding ticket. But yes, I speed all the time (this is going to be a change) on the freeways down here and usually I'm doing about 10-15mph over. Which is "flow of traffic". I know in OR, people tend to drive the speed limit, so I'll watch that and stick with the flow.

I'm just hoping the drive from SMF to PDX is a bit more like LA to Las Vegas...open, easy, speed limits aren't 55. Am I wishing too much?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

I'm just hoping the drive from SMF to PDX is a bit more like LA to Las Vegas...open, easy, speed limits aren't 55. Am I wishing too much?
Speed limit is based on State. In California it's 70, Oregon is 65. Between about Roseburg and Redding you'll pretty much stay the speed limit. There are a lot of hills, curves, and trucks that make it too dangerous to go faster, including several dangerous curves that have big flashing signs.

Usually you can go +5 over the speed limit, that is the normal traffic flow.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,165 times
If you've never done that drive....it's a lovely drive, once you get to Redding, IMO.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Speed limit is based on State. In California it's 70, Oregon is 65. Between about Roseburg and Redding you'll pretty much stay the speed limit. There are a lot of hills, curves, and trucks that make it too dangerous to go faster, including several dangerous curves that have big flashing signs.

Usually you can go +5 over the speed limit, that is the normal traffic flow.
Thank you. That helps a lot. I'll watch my speed (glad to see it's 70 up there like it is to Vegas, so much easier).

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
For the part that's 70, I set my cruise control to 75 and have never had any issues. The CHP are after those doing 80 or higher.

For the part that's 65 I set it for 70, same deal with the OHP, with the obvious caveat of those curvy sections mentioned above. The other thing that gets you is the series of little passes between Roseburg and the Rogue. The semis pull out suddenly as they pass each other respectively going 56 and 55 MPH (curses!).

Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
For the part that's 70, I set my cruise control to 75 and have never had any issues. The CHP are after those doing 80 or higher.

For the part that's 65 I set it for 70, same deal with the OHP, with the obvious caveat of those curvy sections mentioned above. The other thing that gets you is the series of little passes between Roseburg and the Rogue. The semis pull out suddenly as they pass each other respectively going 56 and 55 MPH (curses!).
They've started construction on the Sexton Summit. There will be delays, but I think mostly after 7:00 PM is what I heard on the news.
They're adding a truck climb lane, which will help out that truck problem in that stretch of I-5.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
They've started construction on the Sexton Summit. There will be delays, but I think mostly after 7:00 PM is what I heard on the news.
They're adding a truck climb lane, which will help out that truck problem in that stretch of I-5.
Yeah, that's true. That construction is pretty wild. They are even doing some during day time. They are using those mining dump trucks that have the off road suspensions and massive knobby tires to dig out the road cut eastward. Some trick driving is involved. So far they have not messed up, the consequences of which would be pretty bad!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM

FYI for anyone else reading this. I made the trek up here from SoCal Wed and Thurs.

Speed wise, well, prior to Sac, I was going about 15mph above the speed limit. From Sac to Medford, with the curvy roads, obviously my speed dropped to posted limits or lower. But typically, I kept it at about 10mph above the limit. From Medford to Portland, I was keeping it between 5-10mph over and guess what? I was getting passed by ppl with OR plates (probably californians,lol) doing 15-20mph over the limit. The people holding up traffic in the fast lane were people with WA plates.

The biggest difference in driving styles though, once I hit the border, is that people in OR drive in the "slow" lane even if they're doing 80. They just use the passing lane (aka fast lane) to go around those that are slower. I started doing the same and well, it worked out for me. 1,000 miles and no ticket.

Oh, and anyone driving through right now, they shut down...oh dang, where was it....in Shasta Natl Forest....the roads go down to one lane going both directions for a couple of miles. Slow going if you're stuck behind a very slow truck. And heed the MPH signs on the turns. Sheesh. I didn't and I think my dogs got tossed a bit. Oops.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
Default Costco on Highway 5

Hello,
You are mistaken. Vacaville is not on I-5. However, there is a fairly new Costco (about 3 years or so) in Woodland. That store is right off an I-5 exit. And, they have gas.

Woodland is about 20-30 minutes from Vacaville.

Vacaville is on Hwy 80, and it is an okay choice if you are going from Sacramento area to San Francisco. But, like the poster below said, it is a little awkward off the freeway.

Woodland is about 20 minutes North of Sacramento on Hwy 5.

Lastly, if you are driving from let's say Portland to San Francisco, definitely take Hwy 113 at Woodland and don't go all the way to Sacramento. If you have time and need a stop, stop in Davis...great University town with lots of reasonably priced restaurants.

Have fun travelling!

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
We too do the I-5 drag from Portland to the Silicon Valley in one day keeping our speed no more than 5 miles above the posted limit.. HOWEVER if you do that in San Francisco metro you will be 'pushed'. 10 mph over the posted limit is routine, most seem to be traveling +15. Keep pace with traffic around you and don't take your eyes off the road. If you can avoid San Francisco metro traffic do so.

FWIW, Costco has a gas stations in Vacaville, Medford, Eugene and Wilsonville. We know them well. The Vacaville store is hard to find but it is next to I-5.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,580,356 times
Right you are, Vacaville is off I-80 - on our way to San Jose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland