Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband was offered a job in Portland, and before he accepts the position, we are visiting the city this weekend to see if we can live there. Since, its a big decision for us, I wanted to make the most of the visit. Any advice of how to see the most of the city, and not in a touristy kind of way, but "Can we see ourselves living here" kinda way. Suggestions of how to see the most of the city?
If we did live there, I would like to live in one of the neighborhoods in the SE, like Kerns. I personally would love to be in an area that has shops and you can walk around and has great public transit. I think our first year we would rent, preferably a house. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Kerns in in NE. It's on the border of SE though.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
A lot is going to depend on your budget, as far as living in any specific area.

For your visit, I'd say just get out into the neighborhoods. Walk around, visit the food carts or coffeeshops and chat with people.

Some of the neighborhoods that seem (to me) have more of a "community" center would be ... Hawthorne, Woodstock, Sellwood/Westmoreland, and yes, it's across Burnside into NE, but Kerns is a good choice.

Look for community events that might interest you in Willamette Week's calendar. Hawthorne's having a "Holiday Stroll" on Sunday. Get some tax-free shopping done.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 AM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
Where would your husband's job be? What's your rental budget? Those questions will help determine where to look- there are lots of neighborhoods to choose from that meet your criteria.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
If you're looking at Kerns specifically I'd focus my time on adjoining areas. You'd be adjacent to Belmont and Hawthorne, and I'd probably walk the retail section of both (esp. if it warms up a bit). Hawthorne is hipper, but Belmont has some decent places. Likewise pop up to Alberta for dining.

Sight-seeing I might look at Ladd's Addition to the south of Kerns - though this time of year the roses aren't in bloom. Very interesting neighborhood design and mix of architecture.

I'd probably also drive through Laurelwood, and if you're a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods shopper you'll probably want to pop up to Hollywood. And if it's nice, check out Laurelwood Park while you're there (or really any other park that catches your fancy).

If you're insistent on visiting the famous Voodoo Donuts for their many interesting sugar bombs, skip the tourist trap in old town and go to Voodoo Too right there in Kerns at Davis/Sandy. Same donuts without the line around the block.

There are certainly lots of other parts of the city worth seeing as a visitor (downtown, e.g.), but if you think you're interested in Kerns specifically that will give you a good flavor of what's without walking or easy biking distance without having to spend too much time in the car.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times
Thanks for responding!
So let me clarify, I only heard that Kerns was a nice place to live, but I dont have a specific neighborhood in mind. I will check out the ones that everyone listed. We are in our early 30s with no kids-yet. My husband would work at PSU and I would have to find a job. We would like a house/apt with 3 beds a 2 bath. I'm not sure about renting prices out there, but we could maybe pay 2k/month or a little more if its amazing.
Any recs to go saturday night for dinner and then music/bar that would give a good feel for chill portland nightlife?
Thank you again for the help!!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
That's a decent housing budget. You might even take a look at the Pearl or NW. Transportation to PSU from there would be a snap. And lots of stroll-worthy streets, shops, restaurants, etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
There are many neighborhoods here that oud fit your criteria. Considering you don't have kids, you are able to not consider school feeds which gives you a ton of options in every quadran of Portland.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quadrant, sorry.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Portland is a city of abundant dining options - you'll have to be a bit more specific on what you're looking for (price/cuisine/upscale or no/etc.) The interesting thing is that even great restaurants routinely get panned because people's expectations are high. If I suggested my favorite restaurant here someone would inevitably suggest it sucks because they have 300 restaurants they like better.

Don't go to Pok-Pok because the wait is too long. Don't go to Tarboush because Nicholas is better. Don't go to Nicholas because Tarboush is better, etc. You could go to somewhere close to Kerns like Slowbar (Menu - Slow Bar - Home of the Best Burger in Portland) which has the vibe you describe, or you could go to the Pearl and hit Deschutes Brewery with the masses for more $$ but a wider menu.

2k does give you a lot of options for housing. The market from 800-1500 is pretty tight and properties move fast, since that's where most of the demand is. But if you can afford 2k, your options expand significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland