Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times

Advertisements

You don't need internet to live, but if you want to have a decent job you have to have it. There's no other way to find one, at least no cost and time-efficient way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
We are talking about someone who was speaking of dishwashing jobs.

And considering that so many claim paper applications are obsolete ... someone really ought to tell places such as Amazon, Office Depot, etc. that they're carrying so many totally obsolete products.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I've found in Oregon, while I pay more in rent, I make up for it in lower transportation cost. In OR you see a lot of 1980s & 1990s cars. You hardly see those in TX anymore - because at the pace you have to drive there a 20-25 year old car would have 500K miles on it & cars fall apart well before that. I was amazed when I moved here how cheaply you could get used cars.

Used cars are even cheaper in Michigan thab they are in Oregon.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
You're really searching bottom of the barrel jobs to come up with those. I guarantee you that even if those jobs accept paper applications they're advertising them online. Hence the helpful internet again.

Please right back at you.

Craigslist is pretty much THE place to look for low-end jobs.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
My argument was also clear. As I've said several times. Of course it's nice to have. But it doesn't matter if it only cost a dollar. It's still not a NECESSITY.
That's your opinion and in your world, which appears to be mighty small.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:46 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Craigslist is pretty much THE place to look for low-end jobs.
Given that you seem to be unable to even earn minimum wage, have you considered that maybe your approach is not the best?

Have you tried walking around and seeing which places have Help Wanted signs in the windows? Given that you recently couldn't even be bothered to activate your new Visa card before the old one expired and got declined, I doubt you really put that much effort into landing a job that pays you the legally required wage.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
My argument was clear. Internet can be had at $10 per month via comcast internet essentials, and if you don't qualify for that you can get it for $29.99. If you use the library internet you have to drive your car and pay for gas to do your hour long free internet unless you happen to live in walking/biking distance, or you have to pay bus fare at $2.50 each way, or $5 per day. So basically unless you use the free one hour internet less than 5-6 times per month it's more cost effective to have your own internet. Given that most job seekers will spend more than six hours per month online it's common sense.

Never heard of the $29.99 deal; their website doesn't mention it. Good to know I'm paying twice that in order to subsidize service for families getting lots of freebies.

As I've said before, a big problem with free library internet is that for low-end jobs especially, you completely miss a lot of job postings that are filled quickly if you're not online at the right time. With home internet, I can look for a job any time I'm home.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Given that you seem to be unable to even earn minimum wage, have you considered that maybe your approach is not the best?

Have you tried walking around and seeing which places have Help Wanted signs in the windows? Given that you recently couldn't even be bothered to activate your new Visa card before the old one expired and got declined, I doubt you really put that much effort into landing a job that pays you the legally required wage.

While I dispute your premise I can say that, yes I have beaten the pavement and looked. There is a Japanese restaurant in my neighborhood that occasionally has a Help Wanted sign in the window...except that the sign is written in Spanish, which I take as a sign that the window sign isn't intended for people like me.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
There is that erroneous "Most" word again.

That word might be misguided in this context, but it's not erroneous.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:18 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
That's your opinion and in your world, which appears to be mighty small.
That's your opinion. You know nothing about me. My world or how large or small it is just another thing you know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland