Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 05:32 PM

8 posts, read 9,478 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the area in spring 2015.. my husband is going to be a USAF recruiter and his office is in SE Portland. We are planning on buying a house but cant decide in Portland or Vancouver. His future boss told us Vancouver is better because you avoid high prop taxes in OR.

Schools are a concern but our son wont be in Kindergarten until 2017 and we'll only be there until 2018 or 2019 at the latest.

We've heard that the commute from V to P is horrible.. my husband probably wouldnt be affected by it much due to his work hours but if I get a job in Portland I would probably have to deal with it.

What do you all recommend for us? Is living in V and working in P the best idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
If taxes are an issue just live in Clackamas county so you don't have to pay Multnomah County taxes and then you don't have to deal with the nightmare traffic that Vancouver people deal with. Plus Clackamas would make southeast easier to get to.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:02 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
the west side of the river in cc its mostly expensive and the east side of the river in cc its mostly cheap. theres a lot more people on the east side so that means crime

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
If you live in Washington, you would still pay Oregon income taxes and Washington sales tax. Sure, you can save some if you cross the border for big purchases but you'll still be making regular purchases in Washington. Multnomah County property taxes are horrid and if that's your issue, I agree with urban life and just go to Clackamas County. I think the recruiting center is in Eastport Plaza so Happy Valley would be convenient.

Is your husband in the military and get some deal on closing costs? Otherwise, I don't know if owning a house for 3 or 4 years is worth it.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM

28 posts, read 31,432 times
What you've heard about the commute is correct, so it would be best to live in OR.

No sales tax in OR helps offset other taxes - that's why so many Vancouver residents come here to shop! You'll find property taxes here vary a lot. Property taxes were set by a proposition back in 95 or 96 to raise no more than 3% a year based on property values at that time. So areas that have developed a lot since then have great low taxes compared to other more established sides of town. Some real estate web sites will list taxes too,and they're definitely a consideration on top of mortgage.

Besider the taxes there are lifestyle considerations. It comes down to where you will be more comfortable. Visit both places and see! Very generally speaking, Vancouver is slower paced and more suburban; Portland is more creative and active. Where you build your nest depends on where you feel most comfortable, so come check it out. I'd recommend contacting a real estate agent and having him/her act as a buyers agent for you. Tell them what you want and they'll know where to find it.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I agree with others who recommend Clackamas County. Generally speaking buy a house if you expect to live in it 6 or more years. I presume you are aware of the various mortgage writers who serve the military community. I have used the Pentagon Federal Credit Union in the past, worth a look. As long as I am in my 'recommending' frame of mind, buy and read The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement by Doug Nordman.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,478 times
Thanks everyone!! Yes my husband is in the military so we get little deals in regards to buying a house. I wouldnt mind renting since we will only be there for 3-4 years but 1.) my hubs wants to be able to do whatever he wants to the house.. and 2.) we have a german shepherd who goes about 100 lbs (but has no destructive issues what so ever) so finding a place that will rent to us is pretty difficult

Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Back in the day we had a Samoyed who topped 130 lbs, I know what you mean. I agree, find a house to buy.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:38 PM

609 posts, read 808,227 times
I would live in the city that I worked in. I don't know about you, but my week/work days are pretty simple. Working, grocery store, maybe gym and home. I can do this in either city. Not like I go out to art galleries dance clubs and live theater every evening in downtown. I think a short commute us a must in life.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,949 times
I commute from Damascus to North Portland every day, using 205, but also travelling over/under I-5 as it crosses Columbia and Lombard. I assure you that what everyone says is accurate - it sure looks like it'd be a nightmare commute during rush hour attempting to cross the Columbia. Clackamas County sure seems like a good bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland