Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Hold on a second, so to be an true Oregonian you have to be born here or establish a family prior to the Vietnam War(Gulf of Tonkin Incident or Fall of Saigon?)--yet people who move here from California but weren't born there are Californians?

Yeah, you don't sound like an ass-hole with a chip on your shoulder at all...
Don't take these opinions seriously. I mean people who have ancestors who go back to New Engand or are Native Americans, like myself, have longer American history than "Native" Oregonians. Oregon is not that old and Portland was barely a city before 1900 in comparison to East Coast cities so this post is kind of funny. Most Californians, like myself, laugh regularly at these silly posts by bitter people. Oregon is in The USA which I believe is open to ALL Americans. Duh.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusa View Post
I'm not quite sure why there is such a perceived animosity for Californians (specifically middle to upper-middle class Caucasian folks) relocating to Oregon. I don't see it as coming to steal jobs and inflate real estate values. California is an abusive state and you cannot make a good living there, even with higher paying jobs, and raise children in good quality schools unless your part of the 1%. I originally grew up in Northern California and always loved travelling to Pac Northwest

Got gentrification?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Hold on a second, so to be an true Oregonian you have to be born here or establish a family prior to the Vietnam War(Gulf of Tonkin Incident or Fall of Saigon?)--yet people who move here from California but weren't born there are Californians?
There is actually a book in Salem at the Capitol that lists the requirements to being a native Oregonian, or what you have to do to be established Oregonian. It also states that just stepping foot in California or Washington for more than 6 months automatically makes you natives to those states and disqualifies you from ever being a native Oregonian.

It is quite complex, and takes an elder Oregonian to truly understand.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,896 times
A Oregonian could be anyone on the west coast, the whole west coast should be just one state or country

Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM

290 posts, read 288,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It wasn't long ago that Los Altos, Mountain View, Sunnyvale and surrounding communities were orchards. Absolutely they need to preserve remaining open space but what was once prime and economically viable agricultural land was paved over in the process of skip development in the 60s & 70s. The undeveloped land that was 'skipped over' is rapidly being developed now.
The conversion of ag land to other uses is a process that's hardly unique to California. In the PNW we just cut down trees instead of paving over orchards.

As for "skipped over" land being developed, the same thing happens within the Portland UGB, or at least that portion of growth that isn't outsourced to Clark County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland