Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I would consider just about all them the "founders" of Portland, the first real citizens of Portland, not really transplants to Portland, although they are all transplants to Oregon.
The first real who what now?

Oregon Indian Tribes and Languages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I don't believe the tribes settled and founded Portland.

We ARE talking about Portland right?
Doesn't the thread title specifically say PORTLAND?

If we are talking about Oregon, I DID say the people on the above list were transplants.

Get off of that tired old schtick, please.
Everyone has heard it a million times, no matter where you live in the US.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Everyone has heard it a million times, no matter where you live in the US.
What, you must mean your assertion that Native Americans aren't "real" Americans, or "citizens?" Yes, that is indeed quite tired. You should rethink your argument. You're basically saying if you're new to a place, but you make up a new name for it, even if there are already people there that makes you special. That's exactly the sort of foolishness I'm pointing out with this whole thread.

...or you know, you could walk into Pioneer Square and declare it San Francisco, OR. Then you'd be first!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Wait a minute..................back off a bit buddy!

I NEVER said anything close to what you are inferring, so quit putting YOUR WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

It's just EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. the natives versus transplants discussion happpens, this tired old saw is trotted out.

But this is 2015, not 1815.

Quit using that crap to further guilt natives or back-handidly justify your "transplantism".
I am surprised that you aren't upset about people doing that?
Or did you just not think it through that far?

That's what I meant.

Please get off your high horse.

BTW I have some local native american blood in my heritage.
So......a big old :raspberry: to you!.........

Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 AM

8 posts, read 17,339 times
Portland drives me nuts. Incredibly beautiful place. But the people, man...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
What, you must mean your assertion that Native Americans aren't "real" Americans, or "citizens?" Yes, that is indeed quite tired. You should rethink your argument. You're basically saying if you're new to a place, but you make up a new name for it, even if there are already people there that makes you special. That's exactly the sort of foolishness I'm pointing out with this whole thread.

...or you know, you could walk into Pioneer Square and declare it San Francisco, OR. Then you'd be first!
Spot on observations! Yes!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
It's called growth, and growth is becoming the bogeyman of the entire NW. We are all transplants the minute we begin to move, be it to another part of a city or simply down the block. California, despite claims of it's demise, is still one of the most beautiful places in the US, just got back from a road trip there, (central coast) it has great weather and scenery that makes even North westerners envious. People move when they want to, thankfully, we can go where we please, so-----Don't like the "transplants? Move, and become one.......

Old 04-25-2015, 01:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It's called growth, and growth is becoming the bogeyman of the entire NW. We are all transplants the minute we begin to move, be it to another part of a city or simply down the block. California, despite claims of it's demise, is still one of the most beautiful places in the US, just got back from a road trip there, (central coast) it has great weather and scenery that makes even North westerners envious. People move when they want to, thankfully, we can go where we please, so-----Don't like the "transplants? Move, and become one.......

Growth is fine as long as the existing residents are not involuntarily displaced. Is Portland big enough for existing residents and for newcomers?

Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Growth is fine as long as the existing residents are not involuntarily displaced. Is Portland big enough for existing residents and for newcomers?
Yes it is, we have plenty of room for new developments.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Uhhh...is Portland in The U.S.? I didn't need a special visa to live here in Portland as I am an Amercian citizen. I can transplant wherever the hell I want to as long as I stay in The U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland