Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
But it does mean you are more likely than not to be in red territory in Oregon, which was my point.
Romney also won 42 percent of Oregon's vote. Considering even a lot of Obama supporters are pretty conservative, that shows Oregon is more right wing than people popularly believe it to be.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 AM

69 posts, read 74,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Native Oregonians are also very conservative. I think people think that just because Oregon votes for Democratic presidents and Ken Kesey put a few people in a colorful bus 50 years ago that everyone in Oregon must be super liberal, open minded and loving.

As much as I wish that were true, the reality is Oregon is essentially a conservative state. The only reason the GOP doesn't win the hearts of Oregonians is because they kowtow so much to the religious crowd, which isn't as big a thing in the Northwest. Still, Pacific Northwest people tend to be parochial, incurious about the world (since the Northwest is clearly the best place on Earth), and hate paying taxes for social services. For example, the Airport Line was actually voted down by the public. EMX here in Eugene is extremely unpopular.
Then I hope a million new Californians show up asap.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:15 AM

616 posts, read 646,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspence View Post
Then I hope a million new Californians show up asap.
jobless?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 AM

616 posts, read 646,426 times
it is clear to me that some of us are not understanding the local problems -just making things up as we go along--typical

Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 AM

It's inevitible

Last edited by ericspence; 09-12-2015 at 05:02 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 03:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,914,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspence View Post
It's inevitible
All states that have low populations are going to have population growth as it's just not sustainable for for places like NYC and LA to get denser without water in CA and a plan for better infrastructure in NYC. Right now the NYC subway cannot handle a hurricane without the city shutting down. People need to move to second tier cities that can handle growth because of their natural resources.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,405,000 times
It saddens me a bit to read about the anti-California sentiment. I am one of those Californians who's contemplating a trip to Portland with my wife to see if this could be a potential retirement location.

Of course, the anti-California sentiment alone will not be enough to deter a visit. Nothing to lose from touring a state I've never visited. If anything, I'd bet locals within our age group would be more inclined to welcome their chronological peers.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
It saddens me a bit to read about the anti-California sentiment. I am one of those Californians who's contemplating a trip to Portland with my wife to see if this could be a potential retirement location.

Of course, the anti-California sentiment alone will not be enough to deter a visit. Nothing to lose from touring a state I've never visited. If anything, I'd bet locals within our age group would be more inclined to welcome their chronological peers.
Don't you dare worry about that nonsense. Those hicks or goons doing that garbage do not own the state. I am from Virginia, and moved here from Maryland (here for a 2 year contract). I don't like a lot of what I have experienced here based on certain issues, which you can find on another thread--I'm not going to repeat. However, I'll be damned to hear that an American is afraid to travel anywhere within the states. This is your country and move through it and relocate freely! ANYONE or GROUP intimidating you deserves to get their asses handed to them on a silver plate. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by delta07; 09-15-2015 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: profanity

Old 09-14-2015, 08:30 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,635,747 times
Seems like Californians take a lot of crap from people in other states. If I was from California, I think I would be offended.

Some of the things I read about Californians, if you replace the word "Californian" with the name of a racial group, you would probably be called out for being a racist.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:14 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,698,496 times
And, as threads of this nature usually degrade into personal attacks, trolling, bickering and rude comments, this one is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland