Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 AM

149 posts, read 181,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What does the cost of a high end apartment have to do with this? If someone is willing to pay those high costs, then landlords are going to charge those prices.
I'm quite shocked that I would have to explain this to you, but high-end apartments are supposed to sit in high-end neighborhoods; this clearly isn't the case with downtown Portland.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM

300 posts, read 267,508 times
Haven't we already broke the record for most murders in Portland this year? What about gang shootings? This is happening what seems almost every day now.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 PM

148 posts, read 178,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Haven't we already broke the record for most murders in Portland this year? What about gang shootings? This is happening what seems almost every day now.
no, not even close, there were always 40 or more in the 80s, this year was the worst

OR 1987 Criminal Statistics - Portland Police Department

Portland is actually nicer and safer then it was in the 80s and 90s

Old 09-27-2015, 01:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Not only that....you can't pump your own gasoline.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I'm quite shocked that I would have to explain this to you, but high-end apartments are supposed to sit in high-end neighborhoods; this clearly isn't the case with downtown Portland.
Where did you get that misconception? Belltown has some of the nicest places in Seattle, it is also the same place I have seen a junkie shooting up and homeless around going through trash and sleeping on the sidewalks. Unless your high end neighborhood is gated, don't expect any of those bad urban elements you don't like to be present.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that misconception? Belltown has some of the nicest places in Seattle, it is also the same place I have seen a junkie shooting up and homeless around going through trash and sleeping on the sidewalks. Unless your high end neighborhood is gated, don't expect any of those bad urban elements you don't like to be present.
I don't understand the thought process behind using deflecting points being made against specific things about Portland by citing comparisons to other places and cities, and also continuing to refer to old statistics to try to make the new, right now statistics seem okay.

If you want to talk about Seattle, then why wouldn't your post your knowledge of Seattle in Seattle. Portland isn't Seattle, and nothing about Seattle is helping people moving to Portland.

If you want to talk about crime in the 1980s compared to shootings that happened last night and this year, then we could also use the logic that Portland is far more expensive now than it was in the 1980s. Therefore, they were paying far less to have more shootings, than the astronomically high rents were paying now to have slightly less shootings. And many of these huge, towering apartment buildings didn't exist in the 1980s downtown Portland.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I don't understand the thought process behind using deflecting points being made against specific things about Portland by citing comparisons to other places and cities, and also continuing to refer to old statistics to try to make the new, right now statistics seem okay.

If you want to talk about Seattle, then why wouldn't your post your knowledge of Seattle in Seattle. Portland isn't Seattle, and nothing about Seattle is helping people moving to Portland.

If you want to talk about crime in the 1980s compared to shootings that happened last night and this year, then we could also use the logic that Portland is far more expensive now than it was in the 1980s. Therefore, they were paying far less to have more shootings, than the astronomically high rents were paying now to have slightly less shootings. And many of these huge, towering apartment buildings didn't exist in the 1980s downtown Portland.
Guess you missed the point I was making.....oh well, I guess continue this issue you have with Portland that you don't like how much you have to pay for in rent in downtown and be surrounded by all those trashy people and crime.

So when are you actually moving?

Old 09-27-2015, 04:21 PM

300 posts, read 267,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
no, not even close, there were always 40 or more in the 80s, this year was the worst

OR 1987 Criminal Statistics - Portland Police Department

Portland is actually nicer and safer then it was in the 80s and 90s
Thanks. Maybe it was the record amount of gang shootings I heard.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Exactly.

If you want to be free of the elements you don't like, move to a gated community or at least away from the center of the city. It's completely absurd to expect that you can live in the core of a large city and not have to deal with people on the street just because you pay a lot for your apartment.

I have no idea how this is some negative about Portland specifically. It's a negative about living downtown in any large city.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 09-27-2015 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Exactly.

If you want to be free of the elements you don't like, move to a gated community. It's completely absurd to expect that you can live in the core of a large city and not have to deal with people on the street just because you pay a lot for your apartment.
To the contrary, I respectfully disagree. This whole homeless trainwreck of people sleeping on the sidewalks and pitching tents all the city is a result of failed city government policy. It's all taking place because the homeless essentially have been given squatters rights in Portland, because they claim it is the city's and the citizens of Portland's responsibility to house them. Other cities don't put up with that, Portland does. And so they come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland