Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 42,149 times

Advertisements

where are all the atractive successful single men hanging out.................i love it here, but i want to know where the good guys are hiding. i am a very attractive female 36 looking? i love it here..............its beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,334 times
Ha ha I am with ya hun... I just moved here last month and I am wondering where they are hiding as well!!!!! And I don't really want to be "that girl" that goes to the bar alone to pick up men haha yah know!

happy hunting!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Good men, huh? An attractive woman should have no trouble picking up guys here since there are fewer attractive women than there are in other places (Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, the California cities). That's because their ranks are thinned out by the alternative and "granola" type women that are attracted to the Northwest. If you don't believe me, just go to Trader Joe's in N.E. or Powell's Books downtown. Frightening. Now, what do you mean by "good men?" I suppose that means looks + personality + professional employment. I suppose many of them, especially on the West Side, have rings on their fingers, so only the ones with baggage and/or are cheating on the side will be seen in the "fern bars" after 6 pm.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I am going to try and stay PC but it will be hard because your question has hit a nerve. In any case, Robert has hit the salient point. The men are there, but likely they will have been snapped up or rather, were snapped up, five, possibly ten years ago. If they weren't, then there is probably a reason why not.

H

Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,071 times
I was single at 36, and it is oh so necessary to be able to accept the challenges that come with dating people who've had unfortunate relationships/prior marriages. Many men that age are coming off a starter marriage, and may be very bruised. Do you ever consider dating a younger man? Do you have colleagues that could introduce you to a family friend?

I would take a look at Meetup groups in Portland, volunteer work, Barnes and Noble on a Saturday night - strike up a conversation in the coffee area.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Suzer; 02-06-2008 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: missed a letter

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
I would take a look at Meetup groups in Portland, volunteer work, Barnes and Noble on a Saturday night - strike up a conversation in the coffee area.
These are great suggestions. I'll add to that after-work sports leagues like softball. Ask around; you probably have one at your place of employment.

Man-hunting at bars should be your very last resort!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
How about the active professionals who jog with their dogs at the local parks on Sat/Sun mornings?
How about joining in the REI groups that go on trips. Have you joined a group like "Events and Adventures"?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 AM

470 posts, read 1,708,071 times
What's a "fern bar"?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
What's a "fern bar"?
One of those chain-operated, brass and chrome eateries like Stanford's or Chili's that all have the same kind of motif and a few potted ferns here and there in their watering hole section.

I didn't make it up. I heard it either in California or Atlanta a while back. It's kind of fitting and funny, so I use it.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Agreed, bars are a last resort. But... it must be said, the o.p. is not twenty-something and anyone else reading this that is over 35 and still hoping to meet someone via an "activity" is IMO playing losing odds. Participate in an activity because you actually like it. I sing in a choir and there are a number of pretty women in it but I am pretty sure all of them are there just to enjoy singing in the group and be social, not romantic. Many, many years ago I did meet a woman in a choir but I didn't go in expecting to and neither did she. Again, it was many years back, more than 20, people are much more fluid in their twenties. EHarmony, Match.com and their clones put a lot of people off but other than introductions via family or friends, something else that puts a lot of people off, I can't think of a better way to meet people that will actually also be 'looking'. I think one reason there are so many single people is because so many of them flat out refuse to participate in the methods of meeting that actually would work and persist at trying the methods that "might work" for one in every ten thousand of them because they don't feel so 'desparate' while trying them. Just my take.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland