Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times

Advertisements

"Portland is never going back to what it once was so move here with specific skill sets and savings."

I wish people would pay attention to statements like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Portland may not be the hipster destination for 20somethings anymore but it's still attracting retirees from more expensive metros and families with a high income job(s) lined up. Portland is becoming like Seattle and San Francisco but is still affordable for transplants with secure high paying jobs such as medical professionals. Portland is never going back to what it once was so move here with specific skill sets and savings.
Just as long as we don't become the next San Francisco, which is why I am all for apartment developments along our corridors, and infill projects in our neighborhoods.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
"Portland is never going back to what it once was so move here with specific skill sets and savings."

I wish people would pay attention to statements like this.
People will move here with all sorts of dreamer intentions, much like what I saw when I was working in Brooklyn for a couple years. Even in places that are the most expensive, people still think they can make it, and some do, some don't.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 PM

300 posts, read 267,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstata View Post
That's pretty much what I keep reading over and over...lol.

I'm moving there and I don't care. I LOVE Portland.

Husband and I are moving there with jobs. I love the rain.

Portland sure beats LA. Please don't hate me for being from Los Angeles. I wanted to move to either Oregon or Washington since I was 17 years old and I first visited. It has taken me over 20 years to finally make the move. Granted if I moved there years before....apparently it would have been much cheaper. But I had to get an education, job, family and a huge down payment and I guess it took me that long... lol
Ten bucks says you will end up hating it and move back to LA.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Just as long as we don't become the next San Francisco, which is why I am all for apartment developments along our corridors, and infill projects in our neighborhoods.
S.F. has beautiful neighborhoods and is known to be quite nimby about infill. In the 90's, around the time Real World SF aired you noticed a ton of young( people my age) East coast transplants moving to SF in droves. I thought for sure that these transplants would move away once they got sick of the fog and realized SF wasn't as glamorous or exciting as LA or NYC. I was wrong! I LOVE watching House Hunters filmed in SF and a modest house in Noe Valley is fetching something in the millions. The buyers are the most horrible, bland yuppie trash who could care less about SF or its history or the people who made it the kind of cool, artsy laid back but intelligent place to live. Now SF is filled with to the rim with Land Rovers and blonde highlights...jerks named Thad or Chad or whatever. I literally can NEVER move back anywhere in The Bay Area unless my husband or I win the lottery. We couldn't even afford to rent and with our kids special needs... we would have to live in a very specific kind of community that we could not afford. It sucks that I didn't buy a small house in the early 90's but I wanted to explore other places. I have no regrets as I have had wonderful adventures but it does sadden me that my hometown, like many other cities, has been taken over by the rich and obnoxious. I started seeing those kind of people in Portland before we moved this year and I see some similarities between between SF in the 90's and Portland today. It is because of my loss of my hometown that I try not to be a jerk here in Oregon. It sucks to see a beautiful place become the playground for the wealthy.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Unless Portland starts to require parking spaces with new apartments, which apparently they will not do, parking in Portland will become completely intolerable.

San Francisco has good public transportation and the people who live in San Francisco tend to stay in San Francisco. One trip to the redwoods and you've seen everything outside the city limits. San Francisco is a city where you can survive without owning a car.

Portland, on the other hand has so-so public transportation and people move to Portland so that they can indulge in outdoor recreational activities, which necessitates a car to drive to the mountains and to the coast. Portland is not a place where the majority of people can live without owning a car. If there is a car, it has to be parked some place, and Portland policy is to not provide parking spaces.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Quote:
S.F. has beautiful neighborhoods and is known to be quite nimby about infill. In the 90's, around the time Real World SF aired you noticed a ton of young( people my age) East coast transplants moving to SF in droves. I thought for sure that these transplants would move away once they got sick of the fog and realized SF wasn't as glamorous or exciting as LA or NYC. I was wrong! I LOVE watching House Hunters filmed in SF and a modest house in Noe Valley is fetching something in the millions. The buyers are the most horrible, bland yuppie trash who could care less about SF or its history or the people who made it the kind of cool, artsy laid back but intelligent place to live. Now SF is filled with to the rim with Land Rovers and blonde highlights...jerks named Thad or Chad or whatever. I literally can NEVER move back anywhere in The Bay Area unless my husband or I win the lottery. We couldn't even afford to rent and with our kids special needs... we would have to live in a very specific kind of community that we could not afford. It sucks that I didn't buy a small house in the early 90's but I wanted to explore other places. I have no regrets as I have had wonderful adventures but it does sadden me that my hometown, like many other cities, has been taken over by the rich and obnoxious. I started seeing those kind of people in Portland before we moved this year and I see some similarities between between SF in the 90's and Portland today. It is because of my loss of my hometown that I try not to be a jerk here in Oregon. It sucks to see a beautiful place become the playground for the wealthy.
You say you liked SF, and you wish you could have bought real estate there, but wanted to try other areas. Let that be a lesson to everyone. Real estate almost never gets cheaper, except for that occasional crash in the market.

I lived in Eugene for a while and only got up to Portland occasionally. The traffic is kind of ridiculous up there. It reminds me of driving into San Francisco from the peninsula. Bad traffic is true for any big city.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
As long as certain people run this state and city, we will never be like San Francisco, because we have elected business repelling leaders. Sure, were good at incubating artisanal vegan bakeries and feminist bookstores, but nothing on par with Silicon Valley or San Fanciscos financial district. The high paying jobs just aren't coming here fast enough to support population and housing projections. Also, we have more land than Seattle and SF

Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times
Quote:
I LOVE watching House Hunters filmed in SF and a modest house in Noe Valley is fetching something in the millions. The buyers are the most horrible, bland yuppie trash who could care less about SF or its history or the people who made it the kind of cool, artsy laid back but intelligent place to live.
I try not to watch crap like that, but when I'm visiting family they usually have HGTV on. Frankly that's the sort of clientele I see regardless of where they're shooting.

I suspect the producers choose that sort on purpose, or perhaps the people are just trying to act a certain way on camera to look "respectable."

In much the same way MTV Real World draws a certain type of participant and encourages a certain type of behavior.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You say you liked SF, and you wish you could have bought real estate there, but wanted to try other areas. Let that be a lesson to everyone. Real estate almost never gets cheaper, except for that occasional crash in the market.

I lived in Eugene for a while and only got up to Portland occasionally. The traffic is kind of ridiculous up there. It reminds me of driving into San Francisco from the peninsula. Bad traffic is true for any big city.
I GREW UP in SF and yes, decided to move to NYC in the 90's. My family lives in SF and parts of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland