Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:22 PM

219 posts, read 316,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Anything above 75 is unbearably hot for me. 50s is the start of shorts weather.

Doesn't it get wet everyday though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
Why would rain stop you from wearing shorts? Especially if it's not cold

Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I consider it to be very hot in OR when the temps are in the 90's for weeks on end and there is no breeze AND it's still sunny until 10 PM. I consider that hot and yes, I lived in NYC with insane humidity but there is a reason I am back on the left coast, where I am thankfully from, and not in a swamp or a desert. And many Portlanders don't have central air so there's that.

90's for week's on end? LOL! Weeks would indicate two or more. That's 14 days. The longest spell of 90 degree days in Portland's history (up through the summer of 2013 per the attached graph) is 10 days. Second longest is 8 days. We do not get weeks on end of 90+ degree days.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Why would rain stop you from wearing shorts? Especially if it's not cold
Yeah, even better. Wearing shorts keeps your pant legs out of the puddles.

Here along the 101 I even see cyclists wearing shorts OVER their sweatpants in the winter months.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTtheKid View Post
90's for week's on end? LOL! Weeks would indicate two or more. That's 14 days. The longest spell of 90 degree days in Portland's history (up through the summer of 2013 per the attached graph) is 10 days. Second longest is 8 days. We do not get weeks on end of 90+ degree days.
I cannot believe the pickiness on this forum. The summer before last was brutal in Beaverton which is slightly hotter than Portland and I do believe it was in the 90's for two weeks. The bright sun especially here on the west side beats on my house for days...weeks. Homes out here in the burbs don't have the same 50-100 year old trees on the streets to keep homes cool. It has been hotter here in Beaverton than my old house in NE Portland. I can't believe I am arguing about this.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:04 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
Don't your legs generally dry off faster than pants? Waterproof hiking pants and such aside.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Don't your legs generally dry off faster than pants? Waterproof hiking pants and such aside.
good point actually, put in my roses today, jeans soaked and muddy and boots caked-- shorts and some sturdy walking water sandals might have been a cleaner bet (just hose off)...

Old 03-15-2017, 09:52 AM

412 posts, read 386,206 times
Quote:
Anything above 75 is unbearably hot for me. 50s is the start of shorts weather.
Short sleeved shirts, too. I tolerate temps higher, and prefer temps lower. But 55 is perfection.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I cannot believe the pickiness on this forum. The summer before last was brutal in Beaverton which is slightly hotter than Portland and I do believe it was in the 90's for two weeks. The bright sun especially here on the west side beats on my house for days...weeks. Homes out here in the burbs don't have the same 50-100 year old trees on the streets to keep homes cool. It has been hotter here in Beaverton than my old house in NE Portland. I can't believe I am arguing about this.

Pickiness? It facts vs fiction. You're spouting fiction when you say that it's 90's for weeks on end in Beaverton in the summer. It isn't and never has been. If you didn't realize that shade and orientation matter in a home, that's your fault. To say the actual outside air temperature is hotter as a result of your lack of shade on your home is ludicrous.

I just looked up for 2015, which has universally been considered the hottest on record. From June 1 to August 31st there were 28 days at or above 90. Of those, the longest stretch of 90+ was 8 days. The next longest was 4 days (twice). That's the facts.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
I just looked up for 2015, which has universally been considered the hottest on record. From June 1 to August 31st there were 28 days at or above 90. Of those, the longest stretch of 90+ was 8 days. The next longest was 4 days (twice). That's the facts.
That sounds like it was in the 90's (or close to it) for weeks to me! Especially with a over a week of 90°!

Quote:
To say the actual outside air temperature is hotter as a result of your lack of shade on your home is ludicrous.
I think Yankeemama meant that her house in Beaverton was hotter inside than her old house in NE Portland because she doesn't have large shade trees all around it.

BTW, the official Portland high and low temps and weather data are collected at the Portland Airport, so the weather in Beaverton could well have been in the 90°'s for two weeks like she said it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland