Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not everyone can or wants to have big dogs. Not everyone has a BF to clear the way before they step outside to start their day. My 89-year old father may not be as able to set strong boundaries for the homeless as you and your BF are. Pretty sure there's at least one poster in this thread who's actually been homeless. No one here is blaming the homeless children for anything. You're not the only person here who may have known a homeless person or two in your time or to have worked in an agency that helped them. So your little brother slept on your couch? Hold my beer. I bought mine a house with cash.

I think a lot of long-term Portland residents have homeless fatigue. The situation just keeps getting worse and worse, nothing seems to be helping, and their city is literally being crapped on all over.

Try rezoning in order to expand supply. Except the NIMBYs will block that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Not everyone can or wants to have big dogs. Not everyone has a BF to clear the way before they step outside to start their day. My 89-year old father may not be as able to set strong boundaries for the homeless as you and your BF are. Pretty sure there's at least one poster in this thread who's actually been homeless. No one here is blaming the homeless children for anything. You're not the only person here who may have known a homeless person or two in your time or to have worked in an agency that helped them. So your little brother slept on your couch? Hold my beer. I bought mine a house with cash.

I think a lot of long-term Portland residents have homeless fatigue. The situation just keeps getting worse and worse, nothing seems to be helping, and their city is literally being crapped on all over.
Not everyone owns their own seafood processing plant in Alaska either.

(Luckily my brother stepped out of my home to a nice job with bennies at Fit Bit, and is staying on the straight and narrow these days working his way diligently to stay in the middle class.
Having lived in SF for 24 year- ahhhh theres homeless there don'tcha know....
I work NOW with Portland's homeless, and most of them, and by far are Oregonians.

And I can tell you - with Medicare and Medicaid being the major payor, its a national problem. )

Distance and privilege, is all relative aint it?...

Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I actually live in Oregon most of the time and sacrificed quite a bit to ensure my brother's (and society's) well-being. I also have an entirely separate career from seafood processing and take very little money from the plant, if that's any of your business. It wasn't so long ago that I worked in a homeless shelter in your area, so I do know something about it. I also rent to a senior lady who'd be priced out onto the street if I charged market value for the place, so I guess that's two potentially homeless people your BF won't have to clear out of your way in the morning, so sometimes whack-a-mole tactics have value.

Never said the majority of homeless weren't Oregonians (although I think it would be pretty impossible to get an authentic percentage of Oregonians to out-of-staters among the homeless population), never said that medical costs weren't an issue...never said that it wasn't a national problem, but I'm realistic enough to know that the current administration won't make it national priority.

Idk, maybe this "I know better than you and my experiences are more relevant" attitude is what people are talking about when they say they're tired of California refugees.

Anyway, back to my previous statement -- I really do think many Oregonians simply have homeless fatigue. When it first became a noticeable problem years ago, everyone wanted to help. Now, not so much. People just seem angry and tired because the problem just seems to be getting worse. Sometimes I think there isn't an answer; that it's just another sixth extinction event.

I was disappointed to read recently that Portland's Union Gospel Mission has some space available in a program designed to get people off the street and no takers.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-22-2017 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
I actually live in Oregon most of the time and sacrificed quite a bit to ensure my brother's (and society's) well-being. It wasn't so long ago that I worked in a homeless shelter in your area, so I do know something about it. I also rent to a senior lady who'd be priced out onto the street if I charged market value for the place, so I guess that's two potentially homeless people your BF won't have to clear out of your way in the morning, so sometimes whack-a-mole tactics have value.

Never said the majority of homeless weren't Oregonians (although I think it would be pretty impossible to get an authentic percentage of Oregonians to out-of-staters among the homeless population), never said that medical costs weren't an issue...never said that it wasn't a national problem, but I'm realistic enough to know that the current administration won't make it national priority.

Idk, maybe this "I know better than you and my experiences are more relevant" attitude is what people are talking about when they say they're tired of California refugees.

Anyway, back to my previous statement -- I really do think many Oregonians simply have homeless fatigue. When it first became a noticeable problem years ago, everyone wanted to help. Now, not so much. People just seem angry and tired because the problem just seems to be getting worse. Sometimes I think there isn't an answer; that it's just another sixth extinction event.

I was disappointed to read recently that Portland's Union Gospel Mission has some space available in a program designed to get people off the street and no takers.

My point is that people can blame liberal bleeding heart values all they want, but its a national problem that needs some help on the national level. (Yes I agree that the current admin - they only have 3 years to go, if we can get the vote out next time around- arent going to make anything except the Military industrial complex, and their family businesses a priority...)

And why blame Californians? their homeless problem has been going on for alot longer than Portlands(so why is Portlands homeless fatigue any different?), and I dont think it came up with them...

Maybe if we all help out when we can that can be a start, cant hurt (and no, giving out your bottles and cans to that elderly lady pushing a utility cart, isnt a bad thing)...

Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
My point is that people can blame liberal bleeding heart values all they want, but its a national problem that needs some help on the national level. (Yes I agree that the current admin - they only have 3 years to go, if we can get the vote out next time around- arent going to make anything except the Military industrial complex, and their family businesses a priority...)

And why blame Californians? their homeless problem has been going on for alot longer than Portlands(so why is Portlands homeless fatigue any different?), and I dont think it came up with them...

Maybe if we all help out when we can that can be a start, cant hurt (and no, giving out your bottles and cans to that elderly lady pushing a utility cart, isnt a bad thing)...

I didn't blame Californians for the homeless. I don't think you understand much of what I've been saying.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-22-2017 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM

And honestly, it's seems disrespectful to quip that you deal with the homeless problem because you've got two big dogs and your BF to protect you and that others shouldn't complain.

There is plenty of help available for the homeless in Portland, and I don't buy products that come in bottles and cans.

Quote:
And why blame Californians? their homeless problem has been going on for alot longer than Portlands(so why is Portlands homeless fatigue any different?)
Did I say it was any different? I'm just trying to provide a partial explanation as to why people don't seem as receptive as you'd obviously like them to be about the problem. People get hardened to stuff; that's human nature, and I've seen it happen over the years with Oregon residents concerning the homeless situation. I can't and won't compare it to California because guess what -- not everything is relevant to California.

Whether it's intentional or not, you've been coming across as if your thoughts, experiences, and opinions are more relevant than others because you're in Portland NOW (sorry, but context is important). And there's the constant "but in California"...you seem to want to argue even with those who essentially agree with you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-22-2017 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland