Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Al's Garden and Home on Roy Rogers has them, but I think they're pricy. You might try Loen Nursery It's a bit farther than Al's, but not much.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm kinda scared to go to those places though; may come home with more than blueberries. LOL.

Do you (or anyone reading), know if Farmington Gardens would have blueberry plants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
we got our blueberries ( as a gift)- 4 potted ones, 2 different varieties that were from Costco- I think $19 each, not cheap but they were fair size plants in 10 gallon pots- they are now in 20 gallon pots while we decide where they are going in permanently-

doing well, fair amount of berries (I know you are supposed to knock off the first season crop, but since they are in containers they don't need to do a lot of growing, IMO)...

(it is probably seasonal, at this time of year a nursery or maybe online would be another option)...
Thanks. I'm okay to wait, I was just wondering when to get them. I guess I should probably figure out when they are sold, in general.

How do the Costco berries taste? Yummy?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I buy my "BIG" blueberry plants from growers who are going out of business, or people who are getting rid of established bushes. All of mine have been 3' - 6' tall with 3'+ root ball. My best producers were 80 yrs old when I bought them (back in 1992 !)

LOVE my blueberries, especially older varieties, do make sure you have multiple varieties for better pollination.

When you transplant older / established plants, do it in Sept, and cut them back 30%.

Blueberries bear on 2nd yr wood, so be cautious of that when you prune them (in late Feb) If you 'tip-prune' 100%, you will get NO / few berries.

Blueberries prefer to be 'mounded' (Shallow roots that like drainage) and mulched with Sawdust / chipping material (Acid)

Basically same care / food as Rhodies

ours get 21-0-0 at bloom ~ one coffee can / HUGE plant. Sprinkle entire root canopy.
How do you even find out about growers going out of business or people selling them? And jeez, 100 year old plant?! That is so awesome. And thank you for the tips; I haven't done any research on them yet. I just know I want them.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:38 PM

13,074 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Stealth007Rabbit,
We have a mulberry. We are at the tail end of the season. Berries are 2-3" long. Move the lesser berry (1" long, more tender and less sweet) tree to our neighbors.
Where you live, the berries will be blown off. We lose considerable amount to the late afternoon Van Duzor Corridor' s, cooling wind.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Commercial quantities of plums and cherries are grown in the Willamette Valley. Cherries require a pollinator, but the pollinator can be grafted onto the cherry tree. The Portland area produces 90% of the US crop of filberts (hazelnuts), but they are male and female trees. Every female tree requires at least one male pollinator. Walnuts were once a big cash crop, but not so much any more because of market conditions. Apples require a minimum number of freeze days a year, so varieties that do well in New England or Yakima will not do well in Portland. Most varieties of pear require a pollinator of a different species, but it has to blossom at the same time, so the selection of pollinators is tricky.

Most nurseries will have someone on staff who knows about tree requirements. Do not talk to the kid pushing the carts. Look for the owner or someone who is at least 50 years old.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks. I'm okay to wait, I was just wondering when to get them. I guess I should probably figure out when they are sold, in general.

How do the Costco berries taste? Yummy?
Delicious! Very sweet... I need to remember to pick them earlier-
Cant remember the varieties off hand but I picked a half pint or so this am!
Our dog has learned to eat them off the bush, so there's competition, but at least she keeps the squirrels at bay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland