Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
My DIL buys at The Meating Place in Hillsboro. It is out of your shopping area but if you are out that way it can't be beat. Their smoked salmon is to die for....
I will drive out that way to check it out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:50 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
If you're going all the way to Hillsboro, stop here on your way:

Welcome to Ponderosa Provisioners - Butcher Shop, Wholesale Meats

Old 06-15-2017, 03:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
If you're going all the way to Hillsboro, stop here on your way:

Welcome to Ponderosa Provisioners - Butcher Shop, Wholesale Meats
Oh, wow, that's not far for me at all and I really want to support local. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Oh...then you'll want to go here: https://www.newseasonsmarket.com/our-stores/concordia/ or here https://www.newseasonsmarket.com/our-stores/williams/

whichever is closer to your location.

There is also a Safeway right next to the Portland Art Museum but New Seasons will have wider selection of eclectic stuff
Which NSM is bigger and has more items? Williams or Concordia?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:53 PM

333 posts, read 329,203 times
If you are really into meat, don't forget to check out WinCo, particularly the larger ones (like the one on 82nd Ave). They seem to me to have the largest meat section of any grocery I've ever been to in Portland, and they have a wide variety of cuts that you don't normally see, as well as packages with bulk amounts for parties or large families. I love smoking meat, and they have awesome stuff to put in my smoker, including all types of ribs, and whole brisket, not just the brisket flat. They also have lots of organ meat, if that's your thing. And they have real butchers in the store that can help you out.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Winco meat can be a bargain, but "you get what you pay for".

I do agree that if you want to make jerky or brisket, you can find some good stuff there.

I used to go to Cash and Carry on 82 drive, and they always had pretty good beef.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Check in the Safeway close to where you are staying. If they carry USDA Choice grade meat, the steaks will be good. If they carry Select grade, then go elsewhere to buy your steaks.

Some of the different Safeways carry different grades of meat, depending on their customer base. My local Safeway that is next door to Costco carries Choice grade meat and it is quite good. The Safeway in the next town over carries select grade and it is just ordinary supermarket meat, not bad, not brilliant. (I figure that the Safeway next to Costco is making extra effort to try to compete with the meat counter. Costco sells some good beef)

Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
I ended up going to fred meyer since it was along the way from farmhouse kitchen where we had lunch. It's an impressive supermarket with a big wine section, but there are probably better places for meats. I improvised with their lamb chops since FM did not have leg of lamb for roasting (still delicious anyway).

Old 07-01-2017, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
One needs to know that a meat dept may have all ,4 grades of meat on display...be it chain or independent...clientile can vary thus meat will also
. As I stated in other threads being in the Grocery trade for 23yrs seeing all kinds of mkts and their displays.

Visit any mkt ...check out the Meat and Produce that will give you an inkling of their clientile.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 76,572 times
Good to know about Ponderosa and Meating Place...I guess I know where I'll be going tomorrow morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: