Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 06:51 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Portland, but I hear about protests and fights all the time. I hear of people protesting ICE and surrounding the department, even spraying hateful slogans against ICE and law enforcement. What is going on there in Portland? Is this just a minority? There must be decent, law abiding citizens there, but all we hear about on the East Coast is fighting, and protesting ICE and Antifa fighting. There must be some good people there, beside these people that constantly protest and fight. They have a lot of time on their hands, and must not really have jobs, so they can fight with Antifa and protest ICE all the time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
People chose Portland to move to because of the craziness. That increases the crazy population.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
There are endless protests in every large city. For some reason they just seem to make the news here in Portland more often. When I lived in Washington DC it was pretty much permanent. Someone was always protesting something. It just never made the news.

Part of it is the incompetence of the Portland Police and City Council to coddle this stuff and make it worse.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The vast majority of people living in Portland have nothing at all to do with the violent protests. Portland does have a history of protest marches, but these are the "marching through the streets carrying signs and singing" style things, not the more recent violent protests.

There are, definitely, two SMALL groups of protestors (far-right and far-left wing) who clash and make the news. The more media coverage they get, the happier they both are.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
^ Yep.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
There must be decent, law abiding citizens there, but all we hear about on the East Coast is fighting, and protesting ICE and Antifa fighting.
But this is true of any city. Law abiding people going about their daily business aren't newsworthy.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But this is true of any city. Law abiding people going about their daily business aren't newsworthy.
Yes, and we have the same in Seattle. Just this last weekend we had a clash of protesters and counter-protesters.

https://komonews.com/news/local/oppo...ttle-city-hall

There is a common theory that many of ours (and Portland's) are anarchists coming from Eugene, Oregon, and that it started there years ago, but has since moved to Portland.

https://www.dailyemerald.com/arts-cu...814716aae.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/por...ting-ice-union

Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 AM

483 posts, read 354,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I've never been to Portland, but I hear about protests and fights all the time. I hear of people protesting ICE and surrounding the department, even spraying hateful slogans against ICE and law enforcement. What is going on there in Portland? Is this just a minority? There must be decent, law abiding citizens there, but all we hear about on the East Coast is fighting, and protesting ICE and Antifa fighting. There must be some good people there, beside these people that constantly protest and fight. They have a lot of time on their hands, and must not really have jobs, so they can fight with Antifa and protest ICE all the time there.
I've never been to Coastal South Carolina, but I hear about racist white people shooting up black churches, black and white people killing each other on a whim, white people doing everything in their power to keep black people from voting and for decades flying a racist flag on top of the State House. There must be decent, law abiding citizens there, but all we hear about on the West Coast is killing and racism. They have a lot of time on their hands, and must not really have jobs, so they can kill each other and be racist scum all the time.

See how that works. I actually have been to South Carolina and know that most people in most places are kind, decent, hard-working and worth getting to know. Don't let media bias and people with agendas color your views. Come out to Oregon and get to know some people. I imagine you'll like some and not like others but at least you'll be able to make up your own opinion and not be somebody's tool.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
Portland is overrun by violence and mayhem only if you get all your information from Fox News.

Otherwise its a town where a few people mostly peacefully exercise their legal right to protest, with a few troublemakers taking advantage of the spotlight.

Now about those lynchings in the Deep South......

Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Thank you all for the explanation and information. It's good to know there are decent people over in Oregon, and I will have to watch believing to much of the news I see. Let me assure you here in the good ol' south we are not all racists and bigots, there are some real decent people here too, and we still have good manners too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: