Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,358 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered to Gresham Oregon for his work. We have children in Elementary, Jr. High and High Schools and are the most concerned about which schools would be great for the kids. The high schooler is very musical, in show choir, school musicals and is going into AP Art. Those are all important to him. We also have some in orchestra/Strings programs and in Gifted and Talented. What schools would be good, but still be in a reasonable driving distance to Gresham for my husbands work? We currently live on 2 acres and would love at least a big yard if not an acre or two. I have heard that possibly the Camas schools or Vancouver Schools in Washington are a good option. On the Oregon side - what about Clackamas schools, Sandy Schools, or possibly even Corbett (I hear it is small, but that may be great), or Sam Barlow High???? I guess I am asking where is a great place for a wide variety in ages of children on the Eastern side of Portland? I would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
I was going to recommend the Fisher Landing/Camas area of WA since your husband will be working on the east side of Portland. We have family that live there and really like it. I have heard great things about the schools. I see in your post you are already considering it. See this thread for more info: Best Vancouver Schools.

I don't know how Fisher Landing/Camas schools compare to Portland's east side. But in Southern WA those are supposed to be some of the best schools.

Also you can normally get more house/land for your $ and pay lower taxes on the other side of the Gorge. But I would be interested to hear about other east side Portland communities as well.

Since most of the jobs I am finding in my field (IT) are on the west side of Portland we will probably look in western Portland (Hillsboro, Beaverton, Sherwood). It seems that the rush hour traffic accross the 5 bridge is worse than accross the 205 east side bridge. But we will still check out some of the western Vancouver WA (Salmon Creek, Lake Shore, Hazel Dell) next week on our vacation out there.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM

160 posts, read 629,271 times
You should check out the Oregon City area, safe, good schools, property values holding, friendly people, close to shopping and I-205. You can take back roads into Gresham, the commute is not bad at all. We used to live in Vancouver, and chose to move back to Oregon after finding the commute to be way too long. 2 1/2 to 3 hours for me daily. Oregon City is pretty central to East and West. We lived in Beaverton when we first moved to the area, I am happy to say we quickly moved out. Sherwood is a beautiful area, and is ranked 18th in the top 100 towns in the US to live. As far as art centered schools, I do not know. My son actually went to school in Eugene Oregon, and attended Shenandoah University in Virginia majoring in Musical theater, minoring in voice. There is a lot of art culture to be had in the Portland Area.

Good luck to the both of you in finding the right place. We are actually moving to Wisconsin because of job transfer, not because we want to leave. Know of anybody who wants to buy a house with a new in ground pool? lol

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I was going to recommend the Fisher Landing/Camas area of WA since your husband will be working on the east side of Portland. We have family that live there and really like it. I have heard great things about the schools. I see in your post you are already considering it. See this thread for more info: Best Vancouver Schools.

I don't know how Fisher Landing/Camas schools compare to Portland's east side. But in Southern WA those are supposed to be some of the best schools.

Also you can normally get more house/land for your $ and pay lower taxes on the other side of the Gorge. But I would be interested to hear about other east side Portland communities as well.

Since most of the jobs I am finding in my field (IT) are on the west side of Portland we will probably look in western Portland (Hillsboro, Beaverton, Sherwood). It seems that the rush hour traffic accross the 5 bridge is worse than accross the 205 east side bridge. But we will still check out some of the western Vancouver WA (Salmon Creek, Lake Shore, Hazel Dell) next week on our vacation out there.
Hello, MtnSurfer,

It is true that prices are less on the Washington side of the river... but the drive time from Vancouver to Beaverton can be 1.5 hours one way... during rush hour traffic. I have clients currently who were desperately trying to sell their Beaverton home since one of them had gotten a job in Vancouver. The other partner worked in SE Portland and together they were spending $400 in gas when it was .25 a gallon cheaper!!

With gas prices inching upwards... $3.65 a gallon well, it can add up.

For schools in Oregon, check out these sites:
Check out Education - OregonLive.com for list of Oregon schools
Also, check out Home - Oregon Department of Education for ratings of the schools.

Hope that helps..

Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano6mom View Post
My husband is being transfered to Gresham Oregon for his work. We have children in Elementary, Jr. High and High Schools and are the most concerned about which schools would be great for the kids. The high schooler is very musical, in show choir, school musicals and is going into AP Art. Those are all important to him. We also have some in orchestra/Strings programs and in Gifted and Talented. What schools would be good, but still be in a reasonable driving distance to Gresham for my husbands work? We currently live on 2 acres and would love at least a big yard if not an acre or two. I have heard that possibly the Camas schools or Vancouver Schools in Washington are a good option. On the Oregon side - what about Clackamas schools, Sandy Schools, or possibly even Corbett (I hear it is small, but that may be great), or Sam Barlow High???? I guess I am asking where is a great place for a wide variety in ages of children on the Eastern side of Portland? I would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has. Thank you.
Hello,
I live close to Gresham, and like the area quite well. To answer your question about schools:

The best of the best Oregon schools are in Lake Oswego and West Linn. You can check out the link I sent to Mtn Surfer to compare and contrast. You can do some MapQuest searches for drive times and distances between the two areas. Also, the housing prices in those two areas are the highest in the Portland area.

Now, that being said, the schools in Happy Valley, which is inClackamas County and located between Lake Oswego and Gresham. There are also lovely areas not too far and in Gresham. Damascus might be a possibility. Depending on where you're coming from and how much you want to spend, there is some land available, but at a price. I just did search for 1-2 acres with a house on it. I found a few for as little as $250,000 - but they were small houses or needed fixing. There are several bank owned or short sale possibilities, though, ranging in the mid $300,000. Some in Damascus look interesting.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Regards,

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,358 times
According to Mapquest Camas is only about 30-35 minutes to Gresham. Is that not really the case because of traffic? Does anyone know what the commute time really would be? Does anyone know anything about the Sandy area and the schools there? I will definately check out the Damascus area. What about Boring? We don't "Have" to have land. We just have it now. An area that backs to greenspace would be great too.

I appreciate all of your comments and help.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM

160 posts, read 629,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano6mom View Post
According to Mapquest Camas is only about 30-35 minutes to Gresham. Is that not really the case because of traffic? Does anyone know what the commute time really would be? Does anyone know anything about the Sandy area and the schools there? I will definately check out the Damascus area. What about Boring? We don't "Have" to have land. We just have it now. An area that backs to greenspace would be great too.

I appreciate all of your comments and help.
Correct, it would probably take you quite a bit longer depending on traffic, and where the job is actually located. You are much better off staying on the Oregon side of the river. I would check out the Sandy schools, it is a nice small community. Also definitely check out Damascus, another nice small community. You just drive the back roads into Gresham, it is the way we go and we live in Oregon city. Keeps you away from rush hour traffic or the so called accidents that happen on 205 and back traffic up for hours. Funny thing is, it is often the rubber neckers that back the traffic up. lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland