Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been researching the Amtrak Cascades schedule and it seems that a trip from Portland to Vancouver, BC can be a challenge. A good portion of that trip requires a bus ride. I found this link about an upcoming improvement to the route:

Cascadia - Articles/News: Amtrak To Operate Second Run To B.C.

but I can't find any info when the new train will start. Anyone has any info or pointers?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
There are two trains which go through Oregon and Washington, the Cascades and the Coast Starlight. The Cascades, trains 507 and 517, go all the way through to Vancouver. The other trains stop short, either in Seattle or Bellingham. The Bellingham train has bus service to BC.

I don't see any route disruptions mentioned on the Amtrak website - they show the 507 and 517 as being through-trains with no bus service.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM

From here: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/W32.pdf

Going southbound for example the only train that leaves Vancouver is the 517. But that gets me into Seattle at 10:05PM. So I can't make it to Portland in the same day. I guess the alternative is to take the bus to Bellingham leaving Vancouver at 5:30AM, then the train from Bellingham to Seattle then to Portland arriving in Portland at 3PM.

Northbound, I don't see how I can get from Portland to Vancouver using the train. I can possibly take the 500 to Seattle then the bus from Seattle to Vancouver.... :-(

I think it will be great when Amtrak starts the new service. From what I can see online, it will make it possible to take the train all the way from/to Portland and Vancouver.. But I can't find when the service will start and any details.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
What a beautiful trip that will be.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Just slightly off-topic, but .....

A friend and I took Amtrak from Portland to Seattle a couple years ago, and were booked on the Coast Starlight, leaving Portland at 4:20PM.

The train was late. VERY late. SO late, in fact, that the 6:15 train actually arrived before the 4:20 did .....

We were, fortunately, able to change our reservations to the 6:15 train, but the ticket agent advised us that the Coast Starlight is always late. ALWAYS.

Hopefully, the situation has gotten better since then, but it's something you might want to ask about before you make a reservation.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Just slightly off-topic, but .....

A friend and I took Amtrak from Portland to Seattle a couple years ago, and were booked on the Coast Starlight, leaving Portland at 4:20PM.

The train was late. VERY late. SO late, in fact, that the 6:15 train actually arrived before the 4:20 did .....

We were, fortunately, able to change our reservations to the 6:15 train, but the ticket agent advised us that the Coast Starlight is always late. ALWAYS.

Hopefully, the situation has gotten better since then, but it's something you might want to ask about before you make a reservation.
Coast Starlight is always late because it has to travel through CA. This wouldn't be so bad, except that Amtrak service is considered secondary to commercial rail service, so when there are holdups or delays, Amtrak is the lowest priority to those directing rail traffic. All of those little delays add up, and before you know it, the train is supremely late.

Always take the Cascade service if you can help it!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Always take the Cascade service if you can help it!

What a great tip. Thanks .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM

I've heard positive recommendations about the Cascade service too. I wish I can take it all the way to Vancouver and back though. I'm hopeful that this year or next year they will get the new service up.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 15,803 times
Default Needing help

hello, i am trying to find out if there is a train that travels from Vancouver BC Canada down to Las Vegas Nevada as a trip... I would like to take my aging mother on a nice trip
She has a sister (my aunt) that lives in Vegas and would like to visit her
.. My mother is not able to travel by bus as she has to be able to get up and walk around and she also has a major fear of flying... So train is next option...

thanks in advance for any information that you can pass on

Alibabs

Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
As far as I can tell by looking at the website, you'd have to take the train to Los Angeles and then catch the Amtrak connection bus to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland