Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Portland's Chinatown isn't that great, but does have a couple good restaurants. I go with my Tawainese co-worker to the Good Taste for lunch often--and the majority of the clientele is Chinese. The Golden Horse isn't too bad either. The Chinese Garden is pretty cool--I just went there Sunday night for a lantern lighting ceremony for the end of Chinese New Year and the place was packed. There are also plans to open up an Uwajimaya Asian market in the neighborhood similar to the store in Seattle's International District. But yeah, the real Chinatown is on SE 82nd--there is nothing to compare to Wong's King Seafood.

Interesting fact---Portland's Chinatown was originally in the area considered Oldtown to the south of the current Chinatown. The area that is now Chinatown was actually Japantown until the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II forced them to vacate the neighborhood (there are acually a couple plaques in Chinatown commemorating this). It wasn't until the 1940s that Portland's Chinatown shifted north to the current location.

Outside of San Francisco, Vancouver, New York, and Boston, I haven't seen many urban Chinatowns that really impressed me. There are far more Chinese living in the suburbs these days than in downtown neighborhoods in most major urban areas these days--Portland is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Best Chinatown in PNW is Vancouver by far.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1212 View Post
Hi, my name is synthia, i am thinking about relocating to Portland. could anyone give me some ideas where i should look for a safe place to live. I would like to know where can you buy asian foods and where are the Chinese live? Thank all for any information. it will help my decision.
The two big place I love to shop for Asian food is

Uwajimaya out in Beaverton and Fubonn Shopping Center out on 82nd

All over Portland is safe for a city its size. there are a few pockets that I would not live, but you can easily spot them.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
This thread started out in August of 2008 (19 months ago.)

There are two great places to purchase Asian foods. (and many not so great, also)

One in out in suburb Beaverton on the State route 10, Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, between SW 103rd and SW 107th. Uwajimaya 's grocery store. Quite famous for high quality food. Beaverton area is know for its wide ranging ethnic and immigration diversity, I believe. I don't think there is a very heavy concentration of any specific Asian group, just mixed in with all the others.

Out on near 82nd and Division is a very (and I mean very, VERY) ethnic Dim Sum restaurant called Wong King's Seafood and Dim Sum (87th and Division). I was there, and felt out of place being one of only 3 tables of Caucasians and maybe 45 or 50 tables of Asians. I was doing my best with Chop Sticks and Dim Sum, but this very cute little girl at a nearby table kept covering her laughter with her hands at my less than elegant Chop Stick efforts with Dim Sum. The litter girl's mother was very embarrassed of course. Chef's at King's have won all kinds of awards. They even opened their own Chinese pastry shop just north of the SE 82 and SE Division st intersection. Very tasty treats.

1/2 mile south of SE Division on SE 82nd is Fubonn's Grocery store. Very good reputation for carrying some exotic, or at least uncommon to mainstream USA tastes, food stuff.

Be aware, that there are older Vietnamese, Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese living among their non-Asian neighbors all around SE 82nd south of the I-84 interstate down to SE Powell (US 26 Hwy).

There may be concentrations of Asians along the side streets of SE Powell beyond I-205 hidden in the Manufactured Homes (AKA Trailer Parks) out that way.

This area (82nd from I-84 to Powell) is also experiencing an inflow of Hispanics. There is about a 2 mile stretch of SE 82nd that is both sides nothing but cheap used car lots. Just Used Car lots

Do not misunderstand--- Young males of Asian and Hispanic background do act stupid at times, being like all young males. This is making an upsurge in crime statistics.

So, how do I put this in a polite phrase, since it is only my opinion, and I have no solid proof......

If you, wish to be treated as traditional Chinese women have been for centuries, you can find housing in the Montavilla neighborhood area 3/4 of a mile east or west of SE 82nd Street from I-84 to maybe SE Powell st. (or just call it from I-205 to maybe SE 76th street (Mt. Tabor)

If you wish to be treated as an American Woman of Asian heritage, and feel a need for living near ethnic companions, maybe Beaverton area would be better. The scream of police sirens late at night will be much less in Beaverton.

If you want to be just an American Woman who happens to be of Asian Heritage, then live where you want. Other Portland residences won't care. And there are many, many Portland neighborhoods with low crime rates.

I hope this is the information you were looking for. I apologize if I misread your post.

Phil

Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
It was never really much of a Chinatown in the 32 years I've been here. And in recent years several restaurants have closed. There was a big effort to encourage Asians to move into the area and revitalize "Chinatown", but it failed miserably, I assume for financial reasons.

It's true about SE 82nd. It's not the historical Chinese district but it's the "new Chinatown".

By the way, hello meltinjohn, good to "see" you again. Did you finally get to move to Portland?

Hey guess who MJ is.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
My wife's favorite Chinese restaurant is China Town, a simple mom-and-pop place in Beaverton at the corner of Murray Hill Blvd and Walker Rd. She compares it to the Chinese food she was used to in Hawaii and San Francisco. I like it, too, but I also like other Chinese restaurants that she doesn't think are that great, so I might not be the best judge. :-)

There's an enormous, relatively recent Korean grocery store on Pacific Hmy (99W) in Tigard called H-Mart. I believe the building used to be a Haggen supermarket. H-Mart is a Korean-based chain, and their website is entirely in Korean. The time I went, there were only a handful of Caucasian shoppers, and not many employees who spoke much English. There were plenty of wondrous foods I'd never seen before, and I plan to go back and randomly try things that look interesting. The produce was especially fresh and inexpensive.

If you like Korean food, Hae Rim restaurant in Beaverton Town Square is excellent.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
I did not know there was a H Mart in Oregon. It's not located on there store directory Better Food Better Life H Mart Must be brand New then. I have always want to go to one.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
I did not know there was a H Mart in Oregon. It's not located on there store directory Better Food Better Life H Mart Must be brand New then. I have always want to go to one.
I think it opened last fall. My stepson lives in the area and told me about it. Here are the address and phone number:

H Mart
13600 SW Pacific Hwy
Portland, OR
(503) 620-6120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland