Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I'm surprised.

* He lied about an affair with an 18-year old.'

* He coerced the kid to lie as well.

* He branded his mayor opponents as homophobes when they brought this issue up in the election.

* He bought off a reporter with a job at city hall.

And he's going to stay. It's probably safe to say that in the history of Portland politics we have not had a more openly corrupt and dishonest sitting mayor. It's the biggest disgrace that I can think of in the history of the city.

Yet, why am I not surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
Its still a shocker that there are still supporters of him. I even saw a facebook group that support him after all of this.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I'm certainly not surprised HE decided to stay (He is way to much of a 'self-server' to do what is right for anyone else, including his employer)

This should be handled through the legal system (Employment law). No question... he's history.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
But, but, ... he's committed to "green" (as though there aren't 100K others around here that aren't).

Barely legal = heck of a job Sammy (patting himself on the back).

Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM

The reason he has stayed and will continue to stay is that he is a very ambitious person and this will clearly be the last government job he will ever see so he's playing out the string. He has nowhere else to go.

But here's something else. I think Sam Adams has been an effective politician up until now. I have no axe to grind with him, aside from this mess. He's gay (chic in a place like Portland) and he's liberal so no matter what he has done or ever will do, he will laways have acceptance from the local liberals as he is "one of them". If he were a religious family man and a republican and if this were a republican city, the result would also be the same.

But when one looks at this with clear glasses, he has disgraced himself from the office he holds.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 PM

493 posts, read 665,563 times
I could forgive almost anything if he'd get to work fixing the potholes. Regardless of what I think about him or his gay philandering, he's not going anywhere I predict.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxscott09 View Post
Its still a shocker that there are still supporters of him. I even saw a facebook group that support him after all of this.
From those who I've seen supporting him ... I've concluded they are either:

a. Personal friends who don't care about the politics part

b. People who have a special interest who they think he'll support more than anyone else, and so are willing to overlook the lies, corruption, etc. as long as it serves them.

I think we all knew he'd stay. He doesn't have enough character to do the right thing and step down.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I could forgive almost anything if he'd get to work fixing the potholes. Regardless of what I think about him or his gay philandering, he's not going anywhere I predict.
I'm sure he'll fix the potholes ... but most likely only the ones in the bike lanes.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 AM

290 posts, read 1,181,350 times
I think everyone deserves a second chance. So I changed my mind. I'm glad he decided to keep going.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
I think everyone deserves a second chance. So I changed my mind. I'm glad he decided to keep going.
In genreal, I agree with this statement. However, sinde he has blantanly betrayed the public trust, and is still harboring the truth in some matters, while he deserves a second chance, he does not deserve to continue as mayor.

There's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland