Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times

Advertisements

Damn Interesting • History’s Youngest Mother

This one is really sad too. What is fascinating is that this little girl started her periods at 8 months of age. They still have not determined who the father of the baby was (it is suspected that it was incest, of course, but they have not determined that)

Mostly, the cases I have heard of where the mother did not know she was pregnant involved girls who were fairly young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,529 times
The placenta is normally situated towards the back of your uterus when pregnant. Sometimes the placenta is placed in the front, making your stomach area padded and a woman is less likely to feel a baby moving around this way. So, I suppose in extreme circumstances it is possible to not know you are pregnant. Like most women though, I knew almost right away and grew a watermelon instead of a baby lol

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
The placenta is normally situated towards the back of your uterus when pregnant. Sometimes the placenta is placed in the front, making your stomach area padded and a woman is less likely to feel a baby moving around this way. So, I suppose in extreme circumstances it is possible to not know you are pregnant. Like most women though, I knew almost right away and grew a watermelon instead of a baby lol
Its called an anterior placenta and it can shield the baby's kicks. However, by the third trimester you should still be able to feel the baby's kicks quite strongly even if your placenta is anterior. So I still think not knowing you are pregnant is a bunch of BS.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,053 times
It happened to my friend's step-daughter. She was having severe stomach cramps, got her brother to drive her to the hospital and it turned out she was in labor. Yes, she's very overweight and young (21 at the time I think). Her daughter is now about four years old.

This was her second pregnancy and it's a good thing she never knew she was pregnant because she aborted the first one. At least this one survived. The girl has turned out to be an OK Mom, not the greatest in the world but she does love her daughter.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I've watched the show 2 or 3 times. The women on the shows I saw were not very young or obese - they were mid 30's+, average weights.

One episode kind of gave me the heebie jeebies:

A divorced mother of two preteen/teen daughters started dating a much younger man. The two would spend weekends together on his boat when the girls were staying with their dad. At some point the woman became pregnant and did not know it. She and her boyfriend continued to go out on the boat, drank alcohol and had sex throughout the pregnancy.

One night, she started to have severe cramping. Instead of waking her boyfriend up, she left the cabin of the boat and climbed out onto the edge of the boat (the bow?), right above the water, in an area where people would not normally sit.

She proceeded to go into full labor but thought she was only having very bad cramps. She felt like something was coming out of her body but had no clue that it was a baby - all the while clinging to the sloping edge of the boat, right over the water.

At some point, her boyfriend woke up, saw his girlfriend in agony, called paramedics and got her back to shore. The paramedics thought she might have a prolapsed uterus and were getting ready to take her to the ambulance when the baby was born - shocking everyone.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM

354 posts, read 711,929 times
Some of them I can see how it could happen--like there was one recently where the woman actually had had her tubes tied, but then the tubes grew back together, and lo and behold! So I can see how she would think she couldn't possibly be pregnant..but some of them, I mean really...there was one where she admitted that she and her boyfriend had not been using protection--but then, while in labor, tells the ER doctors that there's no chance she could be pregnant? C'mon now...
Regarding the incident the poster above is talking about--I watched that episode, I recall the lady also said once the baby was born--"That's not my baby!" Uh...talk about denial...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Some of them I can see how it could happen--like there was one recently where the woman actually had had her tubes tied, but then the tubes grew back together, and lo and behold! So I can see how she would think she couldn't possibly be pregnant..but some of them, I mean really...there was one where she admitted that she and her boyfriend had not been using protection--but then, while in labor, tells the ER doctors that there's no chance she could be pregnant? C'mon now...
Regarding the incident the poster above is talking about--I watched that episode, I recall the lady also said once the baby was born--"That's not my baby!" Uh...talk about denial...
I also saw that episode - the woman was in her mid 40's, her tubes had been tied years ago and the last thing on her mind was that she was pregnant. She didn't even think she could get pregnant anymore.

When she started missing periods, gaining weight and feeling tired and achey - she was thinking "menopause" not "pregnant." That seemed like a reasonable assumption to make in her situation.

But, even in her case, I wonder what on earth she thought was going on with her body when the baby started kicking and moving around? Gas??

When I remember how my own kids used to kick me awake at night, jab their feet into my ribs, etc.... Yikes. Those women must have some pretty serious gas!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can't even watch this show. I can't figure out if these women are in some form of deep denial or the most clueless women on the planet.
I agree.

Denial is a heck of a drug.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I believe it can happen. I've known women who didn't gain an ounce or show or anything. When it comes to medicine and our bodies, I think anything is possible.
Actually I had a friend who DID know she was pregnant but never had any Symptoms. ( with the exception of the absense of her monthy cycle ) .

She was heavier set and said she could not feel the baby inside her.

She did not get the HUGE basketball tummy either. She had looked like she gained 10-15 lbs .

Even her labor was very short ..

I wonder if it has to do with being a heavier set woman ?

So I guess I could see where a certain woman might be too busy or in denial and not be showing alot of symptoms. Most of these women on the show blamed it on stress , overwork , marital problems , overeating , illness and false pregnancy tests.

When they added all those up they felt they were not pregnant.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,242 times
With my daughter I was raped at 16, I have PCOS so my periods were irregular and after I was raped I was given Plan B so I thought that there was no way I could be pregnant, well I started gaining weight and my breast started to become sore about 5 months after the Rape. I went and the doctor was like your pregnant. Yeah needless to say I'm extremely against abortion so I kept her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy