Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
forgive and move on. would you rather she aborted?

I think you misunderstood what the OP is asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM

126 posts, read 231,461 times
Since it is not our place to judge and mistakes happen even with the best intentions of waiting till marriage I would be supportive of her circumstances for whatever sins you think she is guilty of only God can judge. She is now going to be a mother and like it or not the baby did not ask to be in this situation so support for the mother is important for the health of the baby. (Do you think that she doesn't toil with what happened? (Maybe, maybe not) you have no idea what is going on in her head or what guilt she may or may not have. Depending on her religion she may have already made peace with God and is going to do the right thing for the baby. Perhaps the father is not the right person to be in the babies life. Too many ifs...Be supportive, you don't have to condone the actions and if you don't want to say anything...don't! I know it is hard for you because you just found out and she sounded too excited and happy in the e-mail...you don't know how long it took her to be happy for the life of a baby either. (Even worse, if she had an abortion, you would have never have known and would think nothing of her happy smiling e-mail) Sounds like she has taken responsibility for her mistake. God Bless.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times
What to say to an unmarried pregnant teen? The same thing you would say to anyone else who can't come.

"Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. Hope to see you at future events!"

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

126 posts, read 231,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
What to say to an unmarried pregnant teen? The same thing you would say to anyone else who can't come.

"Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. Hope to see you at future events!"
Great answer!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
The pregnancy is the 10 ton elephant in the room and you cannot ignore it. I would say something like

:We will miss you but I certainly understand how this would be a difficult trip for you. Hope the pregnancy goes smoothly and that you have a healthy baby."

Why can't it be as simple as that? She needs for the people in her life not to completely drop her and not to treat her like a pirhana,

Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,730 times
Hi thanks for your consideration. Please keep writing. I will write back tomorrow after I have thought over what to say and your comments are really welcome.

Just a few comments on my part to some of the comments posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
forgive and move on. would you rather she aborted?
Ah no. That is not my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would thank her for responding. I would ask her how she is feeling and send your hopes for a healthy baby and an easy birth.

It's not your job to condemn or condone her actions but I am sure she would appreciate your kind words right about now. After all she is young and probably a little worried about the birth. I was 28 and married and a little scared when my first birth approached. I am sure being young and unmarried it's even scarier.
I agree with this entire email and especially with the bit in bold.
Quote:

I don't know your personal religious beliefs but I think that G-d would want you to be kind to this young lady. After all she can't undo her actions but she is still a person and I am sure she would appreciate your kind words.
I agree here too as the sort of overall general message of the bible is one of love.

It is certainly not my intention to send her an email that condems her but nor do I feel comfortable congratualting her on doing something I believe is wrong.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
You don't need to congradulate her. For all you know, she might be putting the baby up for adoption.

It's not an elephant in the room that needs to be acknowledged. You don't know enough to comment. What if she got pregnant due to rape?

I would not even mention the pregnancy in my response to her. Pick any of the great responses provided that don't mention it.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,367 times
basically, you should say "congratulations" chances are she feels bad enough as it is, sure you may not agree with the choice she made with having premarital sex, and chance are she now realizes it was a mistake (and for all you know she did not consent to the sex and may have been forced one way or another), but you cannot condemn her for her mistake, if you are christian, you must forgive this, God has, if you are not, why are you even bringing it up, times have changed, get used to it, its not going to change because you wish it, so be thankful there is another life in the world that may bring about better times in the future and hope and pray the mother can be responsible enough to raise the child, with or without help

Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
I agree with those who suggest ignoring the elephant in the living room - nothing has to be said about the pregnancy unless you're close enough with her to discuss this. In fact no one ever has to say anything about a pregnancy to any pregnant woman. Or just talk about it if she brings it up.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
I don't understand why a congratulations would be the wrong thing to say. Babies are a blessing no matter how they happen to arrive or who they happen to arrive to. Like a PP said she may be giving the baby up for adoption, you don't know her circumstances. I actually think you are being rather snobby and judgemental for even thinking that it would be wrong to say congratulations in regards to a new baby being born or that you feel the need to say anything about it since it is really none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy