Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I think like everything it's a choice. It does seem these days that people are delaying it longer and longer for selfish reasons in an effort to design what they feel is perfect for their plans and don't give much thought to how it will affect the children. I WANTED TO...WELL WE WANTED TO....first. Children have become like an accesory that gets added after everything "important" is finished.
You think older parents "don't give much thought to how it will affect the children"? You mean less thought than a 29 year old?

And by everything "important" do you mean like working 14 hours a day building a career, finding the right partner, having financial security, all those kind of "important" things?

Pardon me for asking all these questions - but how will their plans "affect the children" that they haven't given any thought to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion including me. I think it's the same mentality that makes parents sooo excited to have children, Look at the sonogram, decorate the nursery, take a few pictures for their desk, and then find the nearest paid stranger to pawn them off on so they can get back to what's "important". Also, my opinion and I've seen enough to know that it won't change.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You think older parents "don't give much thought to how it will affect the children"? You mean less thought than a 29 year old?

And by everything "important" do you mean like working 14 hours a day building a career, finding the right partner, having financial security, all those kind of "important" things?

Pardon me for asking all these questions - but how will their plans "affect the children" that they haven't given any thought to?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you probably put more thought into having your child than I did given I was in my (late!) teens.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion including me. I think it's the same mentality that makes parents sooo excited to have children, Look at the sonogram, decorate the nursery, take a few pictures for their desk, and then find the nearest paid stranger to pawn them off on so they can get back to what's "important". Also, my opinion and I've seen enough to know that it won't change.
This is the mentality older parents have??? You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to point out that your opinion is, quite frankly, silly. Sorry.

It's one thing to have a POV, it's quite another to be so misinformed that you basically insult and denigrate a whole group of people based on your completely incorrect assumptions.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
I think like everything it's a choice. It does seem these days that people are delaying it longer and longer for selfish reasons in an effort to design what they feel is perfect for their plans and don't give much thought to how it will affect the children. I WANTED TO...WELL WE WANTED TO....first. Children have become like an accesory that gets added after everything "important" is finished.
Quote:
Just curious princess, how old were you when you had your children?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This is the mentality older parents have??? You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to point out that your opinion is, quite frankly, silly. Sorry.

It's one thing to have a POV, it's quite another to be so misinformed that you basically insult and denigrate a whole group of people based on your completely incorrect assumptions.
I didn't insult an entire group of people. I'm sure that everyone doesn't do the things I listed because people are not all of the same. I have traveled quite a bit within the US and noticed a pattern. Observation is not assumption. I'm not misinformed I'm just not as PC as the average person.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
I didn't insult an entire group of people. I'm sure that everyone doesn't do the things I listed because people are not all of the same. I have traveled quite a bit within the US and noticed a pattern. Observation is not assumption. I'm not misinformed I'm just not as PC as the average person.
I spend a lot of time apologizing to people on here because I have a way about me that is abrupt and sometimes brash. I also have a bad habit of thinking people can read my mind. The difference is, I don't actually believe that I am better than anyone else. You really do, don't you? Odd.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I spend a lot of time apologizing to people on here because I have a way about me that is abrupt and sometimes brash. I also have a bad habit of thinking people can read my mind. The difference is, I don't actually believe that I am better than anyone else. You really do, don't you? Odd.
Think I'm better than someone? Thats laughable. Maybe confidence and personal conviction come off that way but since you asked, no I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I just trust my own judgement is all.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Just curious princess, how old were you when you had your children?
Why is it that people only become personal when they disagree with you ? It's just an opinion from a stranger? To answer I don't discuss my family on open forums.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Why is it that people only become personal when they disagree with you ? It's just an opinion from a stranger? To answer I don't discuss my family on open forums.
Personal? This is a thread concerning age and pregnancy where most people stated their age at the time of their pregnancy. You decided to post here, so I don't think it's personal, I'm just trying to establish where you fall in the discussion. I think you were brash and your opinions naive, but I'm pretty sure you don't have children yet, so we'll just chalk it up to idealism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy