Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times

Advertisements

My Sister in law was a smoker, she didnt go cold turkey or totaly quit.
She did cut her smoking down to about 1/3 of what she normally smoked.
She has two of the most awesome kids.. She never did go back to smoking her normal amount.
She is now smoke free for over a year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I dont smoke so it was never an issue for me but a lady in my pregnancy group was told that if she stopped cold turkey then the stres that would put on her body could be harmful to the baby and may make her miscarry. Instead she was told to stop slowly.

Ditto for me. I didn't expect to get pregnant and was 4 months along (I still bled and everything) when I found out I was expecting. I had been smoking since I was 14 and was up to over 2 packs a day. My very able doctor told me to try cutting down gradually as I was an older mother and the shock to my system of quitting cold turkey could effect the baby. She also told me that her mother smoked and drank during her pregnancies and the "least" of her 4 children has a master's degree and undergrad from Harvard...It made me feel a little better and I did cut down gradually.

Having found out I could have children, my husband and I planned on next one and I quit smoking for a year before I got pregnant as I didn't want to take the risk even though the first pregnancy was not affected.

Don't judge these smoking mothers too harshly as you don't know their circumstances.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 AM

117 posts, read 106,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Hey mothers that do cocaine during pregnancy have babies with heart problems and many many other problems..(but mainly heart problems)
But some mothers that do cocaine (and other drugs) also have healthy kids.
So I guess this means is ok to do cocaine because SOME of them were healthy..

Well of course it is Some men smoke 2 packs a day and live to be 90. Some men somke 1 pack a day and die at 30. So it must be.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
The people who compare smoking back then with smoking now are in denial about the additives and the damage they can do. Look it up.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
pregnant women as well as all else who smoke, even when they know smoking is harmful do not quit because they are addicted. until you have been addicted and tried to quit or have quit will you understand the complete control smoking has over a smoker. is it good to smoke while you are pregnant? no, not really but as was posted there have been generations of babies born to smoking women, especially in the 40's and 50's. a smoking while pregnant does not indicate if a mom will be a bad parent it only indicates she is addicted to nicotine. hopefully being pregnant will be more of an incentive to quit smoking and push them to succeed in the attempt to quit.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Millions of people have quit smoking. I am one of them. It can be done and it is done every day. If you want to be an addict, keep doing whatever you're doing and claim you are "powerless."

You are "powerless" until YOU decide to give it up. There has to be motivation. If a healthy child is not motivation, I don't know what is.

Knowing what people know today and sucking on a cigarette that is spreading toxic chemicals into the placenta and the fetus is just crazy . . .

Do YOU feel better after sucking in that toxic smoke while harming your child? I think that is very selfish and short-sighted.

You could elect to quit and I don't give a rat's ass that some doctor has proclaimed it would be too hard on your system. You think smoking is not hard on your system?

If it were just tobacco, that would be bad enough, but the additives are POISON.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM

And for the third time, you cannot equate smoking in the 40's or 50's to smoking now, because of the ADDED CHEMICALS. Jeez.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Are you trying to say it's because of SMOKING? Because if you are, you are SO completely wrong. Completely.
Actually yes i am(at least it has to do with it), there is a connection from SIDS and smoking (proven FACT)...
Babies from smoking parents are 5 times, let me say that again 5 TIMES more like to die from SIDS.
Look it up...

Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 AM

156 posts, read 288,606 times
The night I found out I was pregnant, I smoked my last cigarette; quitting during pregnancy was a no-brainer for me as I had heard stories from people I knew that had children with asthma or other bronchial issues; they felt it was due to them smoking while pregnant. I didn't know the chances of that happening to me, but I didn't want to tempt fate.

I slipped up after my daughter was born and smoked one cigarette while breastfeeding when she was around five or six months old (stress induced); I felt awful physically and emotionally and did not do it again. In addition, she would not eat after I did it whch made me feel like I was starving my own child by giving into some silly craving. My philosophy was this: if I want to put that poison into my body then that's my choice, but subjecting her to that was totally unfair. She took priority over my "bad habit" and that's what got me through.

I know it's not easy for alot of people, so I'm definetely not judging anyone because I've been there...just my story

Old 05-29-2011, 12:33 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
And for the third time, you cannot equate smoking in the 40's or 50's to smoking now, because of the ADDED CHEMICALS. Jeez.
It's the nicotine, honey --- and the carbon monoxide:

Elsevier

Nicotine exposure in pregnant rats puts offspring at risk for learning disabilities

Why risk for sudden infant death syndrome is greater in babies of mothers who smoke

And more:

Children Whose Mothers Smoked During Pregnancy And Early Childhood More Likely To Smoke As Adults

Pregnant Smokers Raise Their Child's Risk Of Stroke, Heart Attack

On the history of research on smoking and pregnancy:

Smoking in pregnancy: smokescreen or risk factor? Towards a materialist analysis - Oakley - 2008 - Sociology of Health & Illness - Wiley Online Library

The adverse effects of smoking were there in the 40s and 50s --- and before.

Smoking during pregnancy --- and around children --- can cause permanent changes in blood vessels, with severe effects on brain function and increased risk of cardiovascular disease as adults for those children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy