Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

My best friend was in La Maz class. They met a lady who was nice, but not too bright. After class one day she told them she had decided to name her daugther that really beautiful word she heard them use in class, Myconium. They tried to explain why that was a bad idea and what it meant, but she did not get it. At the end of the classes, she still said she would name her daughter Myconium.

There may very well be a Myconium out there somewhere. Perhaps she is realted to the guy who bought our last house Dick Schuetz (pronounced Schitz). Myconium Schuetz. What a perfect name.

We had some real interesting names in our high school. Paul Ehinis (P. Ehinis), Anita Bohn and Mike Hunt. In college I met Ivory Tower, and Serge Ghent. Later I met Jones Jones. While those are all funny, what did the poor kids have to suffer trhough in high school? How can they get people to say their names and not laugh even now?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM

187 posts, read 442,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I like the sound of Savannah. It is a pretty sounding word. Just have some issues naming humans after cities. "Howdy Atlanta, how you doing?" "Oh I am fine Miami. I saw New Orleans and Yuma yesterday." "Neat. I am going to lunch with Seattle, Birmingham, and Tucumcari tomorrow. I think that Detroit and Cleveland may come too" "Can I come? I will call Honolulu and see if she wants to come. "

Savannah is better than many cities becuase it is not as widely recognized as a City. Perhaps it is even a common name notwithstanding the City name. After all there are probably cities named Ruth, Bob, or Gertrude and that is not a reason to not use such names. Perhaps I stand corrected. Namig someone after a city, not for me. However if a name happens to also be the same of some city, I see less concern about that. Is Savannah a persons name aside from being the name of the city, or is it only used when people name their child for a City? However, if you name your next child Tucumcari, I cannot promise not to laugh.
My post wasn't directed specifically to you, just to make that clear..

Interesting thread though. It's neat to see how people perceive names, positive or negative.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM

158 posts, read 382,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Christiana* The last "a" will get left off of paperwork all the time.

You got that right! That is my name and I always have to be careful because everybody is to lazy to read it and it always becomes Cristina, which I hate, because everybody uses it.

On the other hand, I know at least 5 or 6 Cristinas, but no Cristiana...It does make me feel a little special..when people's lazyness isn't driving me insane, that is.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
As a follow-up to RedJan1225s comment's My sister teaches 3rd graders in a low-income area and their names are all terrible and made-up sounding and many look like they are misspelled. She feels sad for the children who express to her that they are embarassed by their own names. One little boy asked her to please call him by his middle name instead of his first name because he didn't want the other children to know his first name because they'd laugh at him. Heartbreaking.

I think that made-up, unusually spelled names are more common (and heartbreaking) than many people realize. As a substitute teacher I see many of those kids just cringe when I get to their name on the roll call and frequently they say just call me "___" (another name).

A friend of a friend was a junior kindergarten teacher with a child named La-a in her class. On the first day of school she didn't have a clue how to pronounce the child's name. Even when the child told her, in a very soft, very thick southern drawl my FOAF still couldn't figure out what the name was. The next morning a very irate mother stomped into the room and said to the teacher "Are you stupid?? You can't even call my daughter by her correct name!! Did you think that the "dash" was silent?". Apparently, La-a is pronounced Ladasha. Parents, please don't do that do your kids. I'm sure that the mom was trying to be creative but La-a will spend her entire life explaining how to spell & pronounce her name.
So likely there's a brother of La-a that is named El.o so would he be Elperiodo or Eldoto?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I dislike naming children for things or using random words. A name shold be an actual name imo. Odd names are fine, but naming your kid "Newspaper Article" "Camarao" "New England Patriots" or "Broken Condom" pretty much says to me that the parents are still self centered and palying games and not really ready to be parents.

It is fine to have some fun with names, but keep in mind they have to live with the name. How would you like to go through high school as Anita Bohn, or Paul Ehinis? I do nto kow whether parents do names like that intentioanlly or from lack of thinking, but it is odd to be cruel to your kids from day one. You will probably end up doing something mean to them somewhere along the line and regret it. Why start at birth?
I think that's why a lot of people go with traditional names. They don't pin a child to a particular generation or fad in names, they don't sound like stripper names or ghetto names. Overly ethnic names will obviously make impressions of a child which you may want to avoid.

For example a name like "Dan" -- it could easily be the name of a doctor, lawyer, someone young, someone old. When you form a mental image of someone from their name, for example you're sorting through job applications, "Dan" doesn't come with any particular stereotype -- not age group, race. With race or ethnic names some have more dignity than others -- a name like Milton doesn't have the same negative stereotypes as some recently contrived and made-up names do.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 15,116 times
Savannah Louisa are my favorite

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 AM

also Adelaide or Jaden is my second best choice

Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM

also Adelaide, Jaden and anita is my second best choice

Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Italy- No
Amethyst- No
Emerald- No
Lavender- o.k.
Brisayda- Nope
Skye- *
Skylar- *
Jade- Nope
Jasper_ Nope
Hazel- NOT
Savannah- No
Ivy- Maybe
Zendaya- No
Krishna- No, sounds like a religious cult.
Adelaide- *
Liberty- *
Lyric- Had a dog with that name so I like it *
Christiana- o.k.
Kieran- *

*- My favs

Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Not pregnant. But me and my friend like to think of and debate about different names we think of or come across. So here's the list:

Italy*
Amethyst*
Emerald*
Lavender
Brisayda
Skye*
Skylar*
Jade *
Jasper
Hazel
Savannah*
Ivy
Zendaya
Krishna
Adelaide
Liberty
Lyric
Christiana*
Kieran

*- My favs

So do these sound bad?
To me? Other than Christiana and Kieran, I do not like any of them and most of them are not even names.

I know Adelaide has a strong following now but I'm not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy