Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM

37 posts, read 104,824 times

Advertisements

I am the only Riana I know, lol! It is derived from Rhiannon, other versions that I have seen are Rhianna, Rianna. I have always loved Tahlia, Brynn, Briar and Cate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've never heard of them, and I'm not certain how they would be pronounced. For Honora, I would guess that the H is silent, and it would sound like "ah-NOR-uh". Or maybe the accent is on the first syllable? (like the word honorable, without the "bull" syllable).

Noemi? I've heard of Naomi (nay-OH-me), and I would think a lot of people would mispronounce/misspell it that way. Is Noemi pronounced like "know me"? Or like "no-WAY-me"? Or "no-WEE-me"? None of those sound very pretty to me, so maybe they are all wrong.

I like your screen name "Kayanne" - it's pretty and a little unusual.

The normal spelling of "Naomi" gives people enough trouble without complicating the issue.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think Cezzre and De Leyon have to learn not to get annoyed when people don't know how to spell or pronounce those names--how could the average person ever be expected to able to guess how they are pronounced?

Omar will always have it easier, although I suspect some people will automatically say "The Tentmaker" after they hear his name!
I said "one" of my sons gets annoyed, the other doesn't even care. But I suppose you are correct, our choice in names could be a little difficult to pronounce.

Never heard of that, and he has never ever said anyone ever said that to him, we don't even know what it it means????

Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 52,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've never heard of them, and I'm not certain how they would be pronounced. For Honora, I would guess that the H is silent, and it would sound like "ah-NOR-uh". Or maybe the accent is on the first syllable? (like the word honorable, without the "bull" syllable).

Noemi? I've heard of Naomi (nay-OH-me), and I would think a lot of people would mispronounce/misspell it that way. Is Noemi pronounced like "know me"? Or like "no-WAY-me"? Or "no-WEE-me"? None of those sound very pretty to me, so maybe they are all wrong.
It's pronounced no-EH-mee or naw-EH-mee.

And you're right for Honora.

Noemi is very popular in several places. I think it Italy it's in the top 25.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM

38 posts, read 52,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you don't live in the UK, who cares that it's popular there? Athiambo is a popular name in Kenya; that doesn't make me want to name MY child that.

You don't have to give your child a common name, but don't saddle them with a name that they will have to spell, pronounce, or explain every single time they meet someone.
I didn't look to see where the OP lived. Regardless, some people like to name children after their ethnicity.

You name your kids what you want and I'll name mine what I want and we'll both be happy.

OP was asking for suggestions and I gave them.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I said "one" of my sons gets annoyed, the other doesn't even care. But I suppose you are correct, our choice in names could be a little difficult to pronounce.

Never heard of that, and he has never ever said anyone ever said that to him, we don't even know what it it means????
It's an old movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_the_Tentmaker_(film)

Way before MY time, lol, but I guess I heard it somewhere along the line because that's what "Omar" is always followed with in my mind. (I have known other Omars--I like the name.)

Maybe it has faded from cultural memory now.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If you really want to give your child a unique name no other kid will have give them a name that was very popular about 50 or 60 years ago. I can almost guarantee you they won't know anybody their age with the same or similar name.
That's what I did to my daughter. She was named for her paternal grandmother, who died when I was pregnant.

She wasn't just the only kid in her class with the name, she was the only one in the entire school system. She was color guard captain in high school, and one day at a competition, there was a color guard captain from another school who had the same name. She ran up and introduced herself, and I heard the other one say, "Wow, I usually only ever meet old ladies with my name!"

But then a few years ago, the British singer Adele appeared on the scene, and now more people are familiar with the name.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Reading through this thread, I seriously feel sorry for many, many children of these posters!

Apparently, many of you don't know, or simply do not care, that you should NEVER shackle your children with names that no one can pronounce and/or spell!

SO MUCH comes with a name....whether it be self-conciousness in the early years of life.....or a hurdle during the professional/career phase of life! Do NOT foul this up for your child simply because you think it's cute, trendy, or whatever!

Common sense folks!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:17 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Reading through this thread, I seriously feel sorry for many, many children of these posters!

Apparently, many of you don't know, or simply do not care, that you should NEVER shackle your children with names that no one can pronounce and/or spell!

SO MUCH comes with a name....whether it be self-conciousness in the early years of life.....or a hurdle during the professional/career phase of life! Do NOT foul this up for your child simply because you think it's cute, trendy, or whatever!

Common sense folks!
Meh, let people name their children as they wish. Same goes for you. You want a "classic, traditional" name that's your choice.

My name hasn't been popular since 1959 after a hit song made it shoot up the baby name charts. I was born in the late 70s. Oddly enough, my day of birth coincides with the day the singer died (not the year). Doubt my parents had that on their radar, though.

In 25-30 years the oddly spelled names/trendy will be the "classics".

Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Meh, let people name their children as they wish. Same goes for you. You want a "classic, traditional" name that's your choice.

My name hasn't been popular since 1959 after a hit song made it shoot up the baby name charts. I was born in the late 70s. Oddly enough, my day of birth coincides with the day the singer died (not the year). Doubt my parents had that on their radar, though.

In 25-30 years the oddly spelled names/trendy will be the "classics".
The issue is not whether someone has the capability or the right to name their children as they wish. The issue is shackling a child with names that people cannot spell and/or pronounce. There are rules of the road for naming children, most of it which is dictated by society. For example, it is a well-known and well-studied fact that someone with a name that is difficult to pronounce is less likely to get a call from a human resources recruiter simply because the caller is afraid to mispronounce the name.

There are real, tangible ramifications that come with illogical names that are well known to those who pay attention to the world around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy