Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
If its a boy no we are done. That would 2 of each. If its another girl then yes I want another one. Will keep going until we get another son. Will find more tomorrow if its just one or multiples and how far along she is. I keep getting baby name books from the library and can't even concentrate on my regular reading because I have been devouring them lately. Yeah Deacon is my favorite of the 2. Memphis I knew someone that named their child that and its her favorite right now but we have only known for 2 weeks she is pregnant so got at least 6 months to figure it all out.
There are tests you can take earlier at 6 or 7 weeks for gender.

Blood Test Can Tell Fetus's Sex at Just 7 Weeks | Popular Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Names are so personal and I would never announce proposed names to family and friends. The snide and rude comments are sure to come ( like they did on this thread). I simply would pick a name you and wife like and when the child is born just announce it. Only an incredible rude and arrogant oof would make a snide comments after the kid has been named.

And while some names might sound "mature" remember people are adults a long longer than they are children. So while Pumpkin Darling might be adorable for the first 6 years it will be a big burden in adulthood. I have a rather childish first name which I'm not happy with but trying to go by something else as a young adult just felt very weird. I just made sure all my kids had good solid names which would carry them in good standing their whole lives.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 PM

241 posts, read 172,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
There are tests you can take earlier at 6 or 7 weeks for gender.

Blood Test Can Tell Fetus's Sex at Just 7 Weeks | Popular Science
Cool! Thanks. Had first doc appt this morning..did the usual. We have no clue as to due date or how far she is so doing ultrasound on Friday morning! I can't wait.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Names are so personal and I would never announce proposed names to family and friends. The snide and rude comments are sure to come ( like they did on this thread). I simply would pick a name you and wife like and when the child is born just announce it. Only an incredible rude and arrogant oof would make a snide comments after the kid has been named.

And while some names might sound "mature" remember people are adults a long longer than they are children. So while Pumpkin Darling might be adorable for the first 6 years it will be a big burden in adulthood. I have a rather childish first name which I'm not happy with but trying to go by something else as a young adult just felt very weird. I just made sure all my kids had good solid names which would carry them in good standing their whole lives.
Our daughter knew a girl with a name only slightly less silly than Pumpkin Darling or Honey Boo Boo. DD met her when she was about 8 and everyone loved her name. Her parents said that when she was a baby & toddler she was always the center of attention with her unusual, very, very cute name.

But, when she was 14 or 15 her name seemed far less cute and much less appropriate and she was considering changing it to something " normal". DD lost touch with her so we don't know if she ever changed it.-----I just googled her name and very easily found her. She is now in her late 20s and still has the same name.

When we were deciding on names we always considered how it would sound when the child was an adult. Would it sound right if she/he were an attorney or a doctor or a business executive? Imagine Reverend Cutie Pie Jones or Dr. Chivas Smith or Attorney Honey Boo Boo Chong or something similar. Yikes.

I am a teacher and many parents have shared with me why they named their child what they named them. You would be amazed at how many children are named after various types of alcohol, beer or wine and their parents told me that they got pregnant when they were drunk. I have also had parents tell me that each of their children were named for the city/event where they were conceived. Yikes! TMI! Please don't do that.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-02-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 PM

241 posts, read 172,463 times
Yep I am the same way Germaine. I may like it for a baby's name but not as an adult's name.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Back in the 80's I also had the baby name book Beyond Jennifer and Jason...not sure it's still relevant...but I had always known that the girl would be named after my grandmother. Then I changed it at the 11th hour when my H took a shine to another name, and since I didn't hate it and wanted him to be happy we went with it.

I pulled two boys names right off the simple, common, yet not currently hip list and let our daughter pick between them when she came to visit me in the hospital. I thought it would help her feel more involved but I doubt it did anything..lol.

There was usually a couple other kids in school with the same name as my kids but not in the same grade or social group. Today it's almost impossible to really have a unique or unusual name without it sounding like you are trying way too hard. And I like simple.

If I were having more kids now I'd probably use my old "second choice" names, Nadine and David.

Last edited by Ceece; 04-02-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM

400 posts, read 793,764 times
Quote:

Yes! I made the mistake of saying (when I was pregnant with my son) that we would name him Jackson Caleb if it was a boy. SO many comments from my family about the name! I like the name Jackson and Caleb was taken from the Bible -- a story about the Israelites going to conquer the Promised land, and twelve spies went out and ten were too scared fight while Joshua and Caleb said "we can do this -- God is with us!" (paraphrasing...) So, I that was a definite.

But halfway into my pregnancy (I used to work at a tutoring place with students), there was a boy named Carter. And I really liked the name, but I thought my husband didn't. Then again, I didn't like Carter and Caleb together. My husband and I both fell in love with the name Joshua Carter (and we told nobody about this change!) And that's our boy.

When we first got pregnant, we said if it was a girl, it would be Savanna Laia (like Princess Leia). But a few months in, I was taking a bath and realized that this wasn't Savanna. If it was a girl, it would be Julia (we eventually decided on a middle name of Claire).

My point is, and I'm sure you probably felt this with one of your other kids, that at some point, it's just going to hit you. Even if it only happens when the baby is born.

(I have to add that it is merely coincidence that three of those choices make for JC as the initials. I wasn't going for that. Just happened.)

Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Nice names. I wish I had given my first a 2nd middle name to begin with hate starting that with a 4th baby. Ugh more baby name books came from library today! So got 2 HUGE ones to look through now.
If you give your kid two middle names he will sound like a show dog, with an AKC registered name.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 677 times
Now a days you can find variety of names for your baby online and not only that but you can even shop for babies accessories online at very cheap prices like baby wrap for carrying your baby.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
Names are so personal and I would never announce proposed names to family and friends. The snide and rude comments are sure to come ( like they did on this thread). I simply would pick a name you and wife like and when the child is born just announce it.
I disagree. I think the best time to discuss names is before the birth, when any kinks can be ironed out. If one person says it a thousand are thinking it. You don't have to listen, but the child will be in the general population.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-10-2014 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy