Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM

241 posts, read 172,801 times

Advertisements

Pregnant with 4th and stumped for names pretty much. Got a good selection of girl names but really only 2 boy names we like. Memphis and Deacon and we would like to incorporate either Howard of Wayne in there somewhere for lost relatives in the past year. We REALLY want a boy to finish out our family so aren't really looking for girls but have already got a few solid leads. I have gone through at least a dozen baby name books and websites and just can't find that name that hits me and is the ONE. So what do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,601,372 times
Whenever we would go for walks, my wife and I would play the "what about" game. We would just think up names in our heads, and offer them up and discuss. For our 2nd son, we had originally started with Derrick, and after several months of going back and forth, finally settled on Calvin. We also tried to choose names that we would like both the formal name, as well as a nickname. So, for us, Calvin, and Cal worked.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,961,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Pregnant with 4th and stumped for names pretty much. Got a good selection of girl names but really only 2 boy names we like. Memphis and Deacon and we would like to incorporate either Howard of Wayne in there somewhere for lost relatives in the past year. We REALLY want a boy to finish out our family so aren't really looking for girls but have already got a few solid leads. I have gone through at least a dozen baby name books and websites and just can't find that name that hits me and is the ONE. So what do you use?
I don't like Memphis. Its ghetto. Wayne is nice. Howard is an old man's name. Deacon is like a priest but other than that not bad.

So go for Wayne. Its a nice name & the most decent in the little.

Are you going to keep having more kids or what?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,613 times
Quote:
The name may not "hit" you until you actually see your baby. I've known people who had names all picked out, then when they had the baby they realized the name didn't suit them at all and went with something completely different.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,557 times
We picked our children's middle names first (they were the names of family we had lost).

We had two first names picked for our son (both came from a baby book) and had to wait until we saw him to figure out which one was "him".

My daughter didn't have a first name until she was 12 hours old, and the name we finally chose was not on our shortlist - she didn't look like the names on our shortlist. Our parents were suggesting lots of names, and then they started talking about the great-grandmother whose name we had chosen as daughter's middle name. We realized that we really liked her mother's name...so DD was named after her ggg-grandmother and her gg-grandmother.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:

When I named my children, which was quite a while ago (one is 20 and the other 18) I used a book called "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" which has morphed into "Beyong Madison and Montana", by Satran and Rosenkrantz. You can get it on Amazon.

The authors maintain a website nameberry.com that gives advice about naming.

I happen to like unusual names. However, not Memphis or Deacon. (Memphis is a nice city, not a name, and a Deacon is a religious position in some churches.)

I used stylish, but not overly popular names for my children. When they were in elementary school, there were never other children in their classroom with the same name, but when they wanted those little license plates for their bikes? We had no problem finding them.

The names were stylish but not trendy or overly popular. Interesting, but not weird.

Both of my children love their names and their teachers and friends did also.
So I think my philosophy of choosing names that are slightly distinctive without being strange, worked.

Wayne and Howard are older men's names. I'd only use them as middle names. Actually, I wouldn't use Howard at all.

Sorry.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,821,160 times
Wayne reminds me of serial killers, but mostly as a middle name. There are quite a few serial killers with Wayne in their name, actually.

I don't really like Deacon. I think it's a little harsh sounding, and could probably easily be morphed into something by teasing kids (dick-on, dick-in, etc.). I like Memphis, but I don't know what the nickname would be, and most kids end up with a nickname of some sort.

I think Howard would work great as a middle name. If it was a first name, I imagine it would eventually get shortened to Howie, which is pretty cute.

You might go to one of the following sites, and just browse names. You could search by meaning, or if you really like a particular letter, you could search by "M", etc. You could also search for an ending of a name, like if you want the name to end in an "A."

Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings
Baby Names, Name Meanings, Baby Boy Names, Baby Girl Names | BabyCenter

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I don't like Memphis. Its ghetto. Wayne is nice. Howard is an old man's name. Deacon is like a priest but other than that not bad.

So go for Wayne. Its a nice name & the most decent in the little.

Are you going to keep having more kids or what?
If its a boy no we are done. That would 2 of each. If its another girl then yes I want another one. Will keep going until we get another son. Will find more tomorrow if its just one or multiples and how far along she is. I keep getting baby name books from the library and can't even concentrate on my regular reading because I have been devouring them lately. Yeah Deacon is my favorite of the 2. Memphis I knew someone that named their child that and its her favorite right now but we have only known for 2 weeks she is pregnant so got at least 6 months to figure it all out.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,380,646 times
I've never bought or used baby name books. Most of my kids' names are family names. They're classic/old fashioned names, and it was super easy to choose names with all of them.

#1: Grace Elizabeth Katherine
#2: Evangeline Lily Marie
#3: Duncan Lewis Garibaldi (my maiden)
#4: Henry Allen Greyson

and this next one, if it's a boy, Westley Dumas Corgiat (MIL's maiden), and girl, it's between Cosette Ruby Rose and Marguerite Ruby Rose. They all have significant meaning.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Nice names. I wish I had given my first a 2nd middle name to begin with hate starting that with a 4th baby. Ugh more baby name books came from library today! So got 2 HUGE ones to look through now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy