Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Pregnancy is a choice women make, not a handicap. If the pregnancy is at risk and the woman shouldn't walk far, she shouldn't have a reason to park and walk anyway.

It always puzzles me how people can use handicapped parking at a mall or store, then go in and walk all over the place.
Sure, it's a choice, but when I see a person with only one item behind me at the checkout, I let them go ahead of me. It makes their day, my day, and it's no inconvenience at all. Likewise if I see someone trying to get into a busy intersection on the road..I wave them on. I think if more people just treated others with common courtesy/kindness then our country would definitely be a better place. I don't see how having an expectant mothers or even an elderly parking space is going to make your life miserable in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Nope, most pregnant women don't need a special spot, and if they've got some medical reason that they do, they can get a temporary disability tag. When I see an "expectant mother" sign, it only means one thing...close parking for me.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Nope, most pregnant women don't need a special spot, and if they've got some medical reason that they do, they can get a temporary disability tag. When I see an "expectant mother" sign, it only means one thing...close parking for me.
Wow. Something is set aside for someone else as a courtesy, and you take it for yourself because she doesn't need it. I hope you're at least gracious when strangers touch your belly and ask when the blessed event will be.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,540 times
how sad that people would be offended by places trying to be courteous to those who may need a little attention. When I was carrying my twins that would have been nice sometimes. And when you see moms with kids it is a safety issue and what a nice way to try and make life a little easier for them.

On the military base they did this already. You have mothers who are pregnant and their husbands are away. You CAN'T leave the kids at home it isn't a choice!

It's a shame someone didn't think of this before now......

Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Sure, it's a choice, but when I see a person with only one item behind me at the checkout, I let them go ahead of me. It makes their day, my day, and it's no inconvenience at all. Likewise if I see someone trying to get into a busy intersection on the road..I wave them on. I think if more people just treated others with common courtesy/kindness then our country would definitely be a better place. I don't see how having an expectant mothers or even an elderly parking space is going to make your life miserable in any way.
Amen!!! I think the whole world would be a better place if common courtesy and kindness was extended a bit more often.

BTW, I try and do the same thing. I've let tons of people with only a couple of items check out ahead of me, especially if I have a huge shopping cart. I also stop and let someone cross the street when it's busy. I have found that when I stop the person in the oncoming lane will stop too. (not saying I have the power to make them stop, but usually if someone stops for someone it is notible to other drivers so they stop as well.) It does make your day and the day of someone else when you do a kind deed for someone and usually it doesn't take very long to do it either.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I almost never leave the cart next to my car. It ticks me off when I can't pull into a spot because carts are in the way, or when one of us can't open a door because somebody left a cart there. If there's nowhere convenient to leave the cart (no return space at all or it's very far away--at least one aisle), or if the weather is very bad, I'll leave it.
I jack the cart up on the island that the trees are in. We have trees in parking lots out here and they have little curbs and i put the carts there so they don't roll anywhere because they can't. I have yet to see a cart just sitting in a parking space because where I live there are no OPEN parking spaces.

Not sure where you live, but where i live, leaving my kid in the car to return the cart to the front of the store or the nearest lot storage can be VERY far. Too far for comfort.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Being fat in MANY cases is also a choice. Not all but MANY!

I have a friend (what a friend I am for posting this ) who is like 300lbs. She has eaten like a pig since gradeschool. She is sooooo lazy and goes to McDonald's like every other day. Her family history is pretty clean when it comes to diabetes and blood pressure issues. Just this year she was diagnosed with both. Somehow the chick "looses" her job, gets on disability AND is given a handicap parking pass! What the H E * *????

Let's take it away from all the lazy chunky people who had no medical issues BEFORE they ate themselves into disability and give them all to the pregnant women AND families (that includes daddys with their kids)
So you're saying that obesity and complications is a CHOICE where pregnancy is not???

Or are you saying that a pregnant woman has it HARDER than obese people???

Or are you saying that obese people should exercise and pregnant people should not???

Or are you saying that you are prejudiced against obese people and you're not against pregnant people???

What, exactly, is the handicap of a pregnant woman??? Women get pregnant knowing the duration of gestation. Women know they will get big and their feet will hurt, yet millions do it without thinking they are handicapped and in need of special privileges.

I'm not in favor of people eating themselves sick, but I'm thinking that pregnancy is a different kind of choice than what drives a person to over-eat (sometimes metabolic, genetic, etc.).

Having small children; how does that rate handicapped parking???

Lazy parents???

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I find it sad that I teach my children to put others ahead of themselves, while adults quibble and fight over whether someone else may or may not be entitled to a closer parking space than themselves.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Courtesy to people has nothing to do with pregnant women needing handicapped parking privileges.

I'm as courteous as the next person, but don't believe a woman who is pregnant needs a handicap parking space.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Courtesy to people has nothing to do with pregnant women needing handicapped parking privileges.

I'm as courteous as the next person, but don't believe a woman who is pregnant needs a handicap parking space.
I don't think anyone is really saying that being pregnant is the same as being handicapped. But there are pregnant women who have a harder time getting around especially in the last trimester. Also there are places in this country where the parking lots can be very slick and icy in the winter months and balancing yourself to keep from slipping and falling is not always easy for pregnant women. So having to walk quite a distance can be very dangerous for both her and the baby.

I personally feel that pregnant women should get as much excericise as possible as it helps with labor and delivery and keeps them and baby healthy. But on occasions excercise or to much excercise may not be what is good for mother and or baby. Having a closer parking spot to a store would be a courtesy thing and I would bet that a lot of pregnant women would not use it unless it was neccassary. I know when I was pregnant I would try and get as much walking in as I could so I would pass up parking spaces that were closer to the store for that reason. I know not everyone is like me so someone else might like parking close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy