Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 AM

26 posts, read 90,825 times

Advertisements

I have a newsflash for the town council. As visitors to the area looking at a job opportunity, this was a major factor in our decision to look for a home in Prescott as opposed to PV. That and property taxes. The cameras EVERYWHERE creeped me out. It looks like a police state. NO THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,172,672 times
Well, that's interesting, I suppose, but you're posting a response in a thread that's been dormant for more than a year and a half...

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

203 posts, read 751,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, that's interesting, I suppose, but you're posting a response in a thread that's been dormant for more than a year and a half...
No, it's been dormant for only six months, but is still as relevant today as it was then; so cookie had every right to make his/her post.

PV does resemble Oceania with all the many traffic cams watching 24/7, and I imagine that intimidates/angers many.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,172,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
No, it's been dormant for only six months, but is still as relevant today as it was then; so cookie had every right to make his/her post.

PV does resemble Oceania with all the many traffic cams watching 24/7, and I imagine that intimidates/angers many.
LOL! OK, clearly my brain was not working. But I didn't say s/he didn't have a right to post, I simply questioned the need to resurrect what I thought was an old thread.

Carry on, people.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
I have a newsflash for the town council. As visitors to the area looking at a job opportunity, this was a major factor in our decision to look for a home in Prescott as opposed to PV. That and property taxes. The cameras EVERYWHERE creeped me out. It looks like a police state. NO THANK YOU.
When we bought, we went through the same thing you are saying.

Plus building permits and associated fees. HOLY COW! I no longer remember the numbers, but we were aghast. PV seems to think taxpayers and drivers are cows to be milked.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post

I usually avoid the side roads in PV but I drove through it the other day and took Glassford Hill Road. WOW! The amount of signs, warnings, threats, of photo radar is COMPLETELY OVERWHELMING. Driving down the roads in PV, the signage is completely out of control.

I can see having a sign here and there but man, the town of PV and the photo radar warning signage & amount of photo radar is beyond ridiculous. Like the above poster said, it looks like a police state. Not to mention the parked photo radar unit that was sitting just at the border of PV on Highway 69 just added icing on the cake.

The Town of PV needs to really rethink their approach to this photo radar. It is out of control and makes me never want to drive through that town again. I hope Prescott never follows the lead of PV and their photo radar insanity.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I usually avoid the side roads in PV
They're everywhere. E 2nd st usually has at least one of those camera vans.

Quote:
The Town of PV needs to really rethink their approach to this photo radar.
Why?.......They're making money.

Quote:
makes me never want to drive through that town again.
Yeah, we try to avoid it, but it's hard. The only contact I have had with their police is on jury duty, but they seem to be pretty overzealous, and it appeared that PVPD has rather low hiring standards. We were shocked at some of the stuff.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
They're everywhere. E 2nd st usually has at least one of those camera vans.

Why?.......They're making money.

Yeah, we try to avoid it, but it's hard. The only contact I have had with their police is on jury duty, but they seem to be pretty overzealous, and it appeared that PVPD has rather low hiring standards. We were shocked at some of the stuff.
It seems so out of touch that PV went completely opposite of the direction the state went. In 2011 the state of Arizona REMOVED all the photo radar from the highways and from most of the side streets, Scottsdale still has some cameras but the rest are all gone.

Prescott Valley went insane and has cameras everywhere. They have like 7 different style of signs warning you about PV and their photo enforcement. Everywhere you drive in PV there are warnings and cameras. It really is overkill.

Why did this happen? Well you can thank the city politicians for that. They love doing these deals but at the expense of fleecing hard working residents. I hope they vote them all out and replace them with sensible people who understand the need for traffic enforcement without the need to turn it into a police state.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,931,620 times
Does anyone have real data on the profit gained from cameras to the local government? Every citizen I've talked to says the government is raking in the dough. Every government person I've talked to claims that it's a net-zero for the town. There's one thing that I AM sure of though... Redflex is making money.

See: FireRedflex.com - Cities across the nation are removing their photo enforcement systems

"...the systems didn't improve safety, cost too much, or both."

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,223,333 times
I talked to a lady the other day that got a ticket and she said she will NEVER drive or shop in PV again. Driving in PV makes me so nervous because the speeds change and you don't know if you are driving the right speed. Another woman I talked to received a ticket and she said she was driving with the flow of traffic and she received a ticket, so she thought for sure all the vehicles got a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott