Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 56,907 times

Advertisements

...true or myth?

I've stumbled over various things online in recent years mentioning this series of tunnels allegedly running under the city, haunted places and that sort of thing, but according to some of the (insanely interesting) articles at the Sharlot dot Org site (Sharlot Hall museum for those unaware), there are no such tunnels, it's all wives tales, mythology, urban legend.

So, I'd like to ask you guys - what's the truth of the tunnels? For any who say they do exist, what sort of validation offering could you provide? Where would any access points be to further investigate, or at least confirm their existence? Anybody have any photos?

If not, how did the legend get started, any background?

Fascinating things about this area for sure. Been up 2 days now reading the archives for Sharlot Hall and am just blown away.

Also, quick aside - Mercy Hospital - is that still there? If not, what happened with it?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,040 times
There are NO tunnels. It is an urban legend.

On the outskirts of Prescott are abandoned mining tunnels but they are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. The County is trying to permanently close them forever but there are a few that remain open.

Since the towns growth in the 90's, many "cool & hidden" events & areas of the town were destroyed/shut down. Some remain, but only the 'old timers' know and they are keeping it a secret.

Lynx Lake was a nice QUIET place to go to and relax. No longer, just went there a few weekends ago, the place was so packed I couldn't even find parking. It was noisy, people were swimming in the water , loud music.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,450 times
"There are NO tunnels. It is an urban legend."
Not an urban legend according to the Reader Comments here: A New Year's resolution for the citizens of Prescott (http://sharlot.org/archives/history/dayspast/text/1998_01_04.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,916,466 times
The story that I heard is that the tunnels were built so that the Chinese laborers could get to their jobs downtown without being beaten to a pulp by the area residents. I have heard second hand that people have been in parts of the tunnels recently. As far as I have heard, there are intermittant pieces remaining. There is no underground labyrinth to hike through. This could be all hogwash, but who knows?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM

146 posts, read 481,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
There are NO tunnels. It is an urban legend.

On the outskirts of Prescott are abandoned mining tunnels but they are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. The County is trying to permanently close them forever but there are a few that remain open.

Since the towns growth in the 90's, many "cool & hidden" events & areas of the town were destroyed/shut down. Some remain, but only the 'old timers' know and they are keeping it a secret.

Lynx Lake was a nice QUIET place to go to and relax. No longer, just went there a few weekends ago, the place was so packed I couldn't even find parking. It was noisy, people were swimming in the water , loud music.
Lynx Lake used to be empty, but the last 2 years everytime I go there is NO camping spots anymore.

I am not a huge fan of this lake, I have bad luck. I go out to Watsons now, but that's packed too .

Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
"There are NO tunnels. It is an urban legend."
Not an urban legend according to the Reader Comments here: A New Year's resolution for the citizens of Prescott (http://sharlot.org/archives/history/dayspast/text/1998_01_04.shtml - broken link)

Sharlot Hall denies the existence of these "tunnels". Just because some reader blogs that they exist means nothing. It is one of millions of blogging info that is without merit and substance.

Be on the lookout the men in black suits are coming to take you away. RUN! RUN!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
Lynx Lake used to be empty, but the last 2 years everytime I go there is NO camping spots anymore.

I am not a huge fan of this lake, I have bad luck. I go out to Watsons now, but that's packed too .
Even back in 2000, Lynx Lake was quiet. I would go there to relax. Now, I would rather stay home than deal with screaming people and parking.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
The story that I heard is that the tunnels were built so that the Chinese laborers could get to their jobs downtown without being beaten to a pulp by the area residents. I have heard second hand that people have been in parts of the tunnels recently. As far as I have heard, there are intermittant pieces remaining. There is no underground labyrinth to hike through. This could be all hogwash, but who knows?
These tunnels have been debunked by the Historical Society of Arizona, Sharlot Hall Museum and countless other legit historical organizations. Now, some blogger makes a comment, and the conspiracy theorists come out of their basements and start the whole urban legend all over again.

There might be a basement in one or more of the businesses near the Courthouse, and people blow that out of context and claim it is a "tunnel".

Just like the claim of the hidden treasure buried at the Courthouse lawn. How about Sasquatch spotted near Lynx Lake?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM

533 posts, read 1,461,667 times
Surprise.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,916,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Sasquatch spotted near Lynx Lake?
I saw Sasquatch at Lynx Lake. By the way, we and our neighbors go to Lynx Lake once a month on a Monday evening and there are very few people there. Anyway, what's wrong with lots of people enjoying a park? More power to them. At least they are out in nature rather than sitting at home watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: