Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM

185 posts, read 275,760 times

Advertisements

Hello from Oregon.
My hubby just received a job transfer to work south of Sedona. (Village of Oak creek)
We've lived in Oregon over 25 years, so this will be a big change.
I will miss Oregon greatly, but the Californians are moving in and making everything super expensive.
Attitudes in Oregon are also changing and it just isn't the same anymore. It's time to go.

I've been researching the Sedona and Flagstaff area a lot.
Even though it's very beautiful, it's pretty expensive too.
I realize living in the Prescott area would be a fun commute for my hubby to go to work everyday, but there's gotta be a middle ground.

Cottonwood is middle-ground, but I hear it can get really hot there.
Camp Verde looks interesting but doesn't have a lot of homes for sale.
Were are looking for something under $300,000

So now..... I'm looking into the Prescott area for ideas. Maybe Dewey?

I've noticed Dewey is building new homes.
I have no idea if Dewey is a good place to raise a family or not.
We have 2 kids. 12 and 14. I'm thinking about private or home school.

I'm also wondering about valley fever. Should I be concerned or is it just hyped up?
We have a 2 year old pup. She's a German shepherd/collie mix. Concerned if she may get it too.

Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking.Bigfoot View Post
Hello from Oregon.
My hubby just received a job transfer to work south of Sedona. (Village of Oak creek)
We've lived in Oregon over 25 years, so this will be a big change.
I will miss Oregon greatly, but the Californians are moving in and making everything super expensive.
Attitudes in Oregon are also changing and it just isn't the same anymore. It's time to go.

I've been researching the Sedona and Flagstaff area a lot.
Even though it's very beautiful, it's pretty expensive too.
I realize living in the Prescott area would be a fun commute for my hubby to go to work everyday, but there's gotta be a middle ground.

Cottonwood is middle-ground, but I hear it can get really hot there.
Camp Verde looks interesting but doesn't have a lot of homes for sale.
Were are looking for something under $300,000

So now..... I'm looking into the Prescott area for ideas. Maybe Dewey?

I've noticed Dewey is building new homes.
I have no idea if Dewey is a good place to raise a family or not.
We have 2 kids. 12 and 14. I'm thinking about private or home school.

I'm also wondering about valley fever. Should I be concerned or is it just hyped up?
We have a 2 year old pup. She's a German shepherd/collie mix. Concerned if she may get it too.

Thanks for any help!!!
Dewey:

- Nice area, cheaper than Prescott Valley and Prescott. Still have to drive for groceries, shopping and restaurants.
- Suppose to build a Safeway in the near future.
- Quailwoods is a new development of homes.

Prescott Valley:

- 4 seasons, cooler than Cottonwood, warmer than Prescott.
- Several subdivisions for variety of homes. Newer developments in Pronghorn, Viewpoint, Granite Dells, Granville, Stone Ridge West Mingus.
- Has majority of chain restaurants and businesses.

Prescott:

- Cooler than Prescott Valley and Dewey
- Has more character, Victorian homes.
- More variety of shopping, more local restaurants and businesses
- Cost of living is higher, but you get better scenery. Not as flat, more hilly.

In my opinion, I recommend any of the newer development homes in Pronghorn, Granville or Viewpoint. However, I would come check out the area and visit. The areas have plenty of walking trails, dog friendly.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Dewey:

- Nice area, cheaper than Prescott Valley and Prescott. Still have to drive for groceries, shopping and restaurants.
- Suppose to build a Safeway in the near future.
- Quailwoods is a new development of homes.

Prescott Valley:

- 4 seasons, cooler than Cottonwood, warmer than Prescott.
- Several subdivisions for variety of homes. Newer developments in Pronghorn, Viewpoint, Granite Dells, Granville, Stone Ridge West Mingus.
- Has majority of chain restaurants and businesses.

Prescott:

- Cooler than Prescott Valley and Dewey
- Has more character, Victorian homes.
- More variety of shopping, more local restaurants and businesses
- Cost of living is higher, but you get better scenery. Not as flat, more hilly.

In my opinion, I recommend any of the newer development homes in Pronghorn, Granville or Viewpoint. However, I would come check out the area and visit. The areas have plenty of walking trails, dog friendly.
Thanks for that info.
I'd love to come visit first, but my hubby's new boss has told him that he needs to get into work by Jan. 20th. Yikes, traveling from Oregon to Arizona in the Winter. NOT FUN!!!!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
I'd look as close to Sedona as possible personally. I definitely wouldn't do the drive from Prescott or PV every day but that may just be.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
I agree. It will be warmer for you than the Prescott area but you won't get blocked by snow on occasion getting to work on the other side of the mountains by snow. Even HWY 17 closes for a few hours at a time just past the Prescott exit during some storms.
If I remember correctly the cottonwood area is about another 10° warmer on a given day than Prescott or Prescott Valley. It will definitely be warmer than your area of OR. Of note I came down here to live (again) from Whidbey Island in WA years ago so I know the changes you are in for. But the wife was born and raised here so I brought her home to be with her diminishing family and for our own retirement.
And I would not worry about the WX on your drive. Most of the areas you are coming through are not bad at all. The only area I would watch is 40 if you are coming down that way. You can get blowing snow during a storm there but you would not be on it all that long in the areas that are affected.
And Welcome to AZ in advance. But be aware that we have our share of CA types too. It seems that everywhere you go outside of CA you run into those that have fled CA for one reason or another.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
You might consider renting somewhere prior to making a firm decision on where to buy a house. The commute from Prescott Valley or Dewey is going to be about 45-50 minutes. That is quite a long commute to drive everyday. Dewey is mostly rural homes on acreage. If you do not mind the commute, you might consider the Prescott Country Club subdivision, which is between Prescott Valley and Dewey. It has a more old-style neighborhood feel where every home is different, the lots are decently sized, and there are not block walls surrounding every home.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:08 PM

181 posts, read 349,198 times
Default Prescott Valley and Dewey and Sedona commute

Hi!

My husband also worked in Sedona for a while and made the commute from PV. 45 to an hour each way on average. There are two routes. The first is the 69 to the 169 to I-17. The route through Jerome is a tougher route and not even an option in bad weather. He took both. He didn't hate the commute, but he didn't love it either. But, he did take a job in PV when one became available. I personally would not have considered Cottonwood or Camp Verde. Too hot. Flagstaff is too cold and expensive and Sedona is just flat too expensive.

In regards to Dewey...someone mentioned Prescott Country Club (PCC) and I think you mentioned new homes. The new homes in Dewey are actually in Quailwood. The funny thing is, bothPCC and Quailwood are considered Dewey by the post office - but all of that land has been annexed by the Town of Prescott Valley. In fact, the land the Dewey Post Office sits on has also been annexed by PV.

Both the PCC and Quailwood are serviced by PV. Most homes in PCC are on septic but they have PV water and PV police, etc. Quailwood is all PV services including sewer. We pick our own trash companies in most of PV - it is not a town service.

And if you are considering the Prescott area with him commuting to Sedona I would look at PV, including PCC and Quailwood. They are going to be closer (shorter commute), less expensive and a slightly more moderate climate (but not that much). Lots of great choices and many areas that have great mountain views. PV is a valley - but we are surrounded by mountains - so you can get great mountain views.

Valley fever is blown out of proportion. Lived in AZ most of my life and never had it affect me or any of my pets. Does it happen, sure, but it is just not that common.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask if you have more questions since we had a similar experience.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 PM

My Hubby was considering Camp Verde. He found some Santa Fe looking houses in the area for sale he liked. We will be staying in a 5th wheel until we can find a home, so I guess we can figure out the different areas we want to live in.
So hot is hot? The average temp anyway.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
You might consider renting somewhere prior to making a firm decision on where to buy a house. The commute from Prescott Valley or Dewey is going to be about 45-50 minutes. That is quite a long commute to drive everyday. Dewey is mostly rural homes on acreage. If you do not mind the commute, you might consider the Prescott Country Club subdivision, which is between Prescott Valley and Dewey. It has a more old-style neighborhood feel where every home is different, the lots are decently sized, and there are not block walls surrounding every home.
We will be living in a 5th wheel for a bit, but finding a home ASAP is our top priority.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I agree. It will be warmer for you than the Prescott area but you won't get blocked by snow on occasion getting to work on the other side of the mountains by snow. Even HWY 17 closes for a few hours at a time just past the Prescott exit during some storms.
If I remember correctly the cottonwood area is about another 10° warmer on a given day than Prescott or Prescott Valley. It will definitely be warmer than your area of OR. Of note I came down here to live (again) from Whidbey Island in WA years ago so I know the changes you are in for. But the wife was born and raised here so I brought her home to be with her diminishing family and for our own retirement.
And I would not worry about the WX on your drive. Most of the areas you are coming through are not bad at all. The only area I would watch is 40 if you are coming down that way. You can get blowing snow during a storm there but you would not be on it all that long in the areas that are affected.
And Welcome to AZ in advance. But be aware that we have our share of CA types too. It seems that everywhere you go outside of CA you run into those that have fled CA for one reason or another.
Hi WA neighbor. Funny how Cottonwood is warmer that Prescott. You'd think it would be cooler since it's above Prescott. I wish we could live in Sedona, but we're not that rich. Just middle class, if that's even a thing anymore.

Last edited by Baking.Bigfoot; 01-08-2017 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott